Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fresh off the Boat

Everwyck

New in Town
Yeah, I'm new in town, and thought I'd introduce myself and say hello. The story so far? Started to wear a fedora (probably a wool felt) back in my college days, but the discomfort from the poor fit finally caused me to stop. A few years ago, tried again with a Tilley T3, tried to work around the discomfort by getting a larger size. It worked, in that I was wasn't getting a nasty red mark across my brow, but it does tend to flop around too much- natch, as it's too big! It now serves as a yardwork hat.

Then I came here. I learned about "Long Oval." And now...

I've placed an order, and am now awaiting a pair of Akubra Federation IVs, one Dark Brown, and a Deluxe in Moonstone.

In for a penny, in for a pound!

Now if only I knew what to do about getting this Tilley to fit right...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Everwyck said:
Now if only I knew what to do about getting this Tilley to fit right...
Use the guarantee to get a new one. Stretching it would cause it to taper (get larger at the bottom than at the top) so a new one is better. Taper is good on some fedoras if you think it suits your face, but not on a Tilley I think. It is nearly free after all (except for the postage).

Everwyck

New in Town
Are you sure?

avedwards said:
Use the guarantee to get a new one. Stretching it would cause it to taper (get larger at the bottom than at the top) so a new one is better. Taper is good on some fedoras if you think it suits your face, but not on a Tilley I think. It is nearly free after all (except for the postage).

I thought the guarantee was only good for two years? At least, that's what I thought I read on the website. If I'm wrong, could to point me to the age where it says otherwise? 'Cause this is something I'd really like to be able to do...

Everwyck

New in Town
I've contacted Tilley to see what they will say, as my problem isn't shrinkage, but that is hasn't shrunk enough! This "Long Oval" thing has really played havoc with me for too long, but now that I know about it, at least I can communicate the issue to vendors and makers, rather than just saying, "It still doesn't fit, give me a larger one."

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It would probably depend on whether they do long oval hats wouldn't it? If they do I could do with one too as I'm a 7 1/4 LO, though it's more like slightly LO, not very long. But I usually have to get a 7 3/8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24