Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fresno’s local Hattet, Nicholson Hat Co.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Talkin’ hats in Fresno at Nicholson Hat Co.

IMG_7683.jpeg
IMG_7687.jpeg
IMG_7688.jpeg
IMG_7689.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14

She used to have her shop in Mariposa. I stopped by a couple times and had her replace a ribbon and bow on a hat. She had very few tools and her bow/ribbon work was not impressive. She offered to make me a hat (it was a lot!) despite not having a block in my size. It seemed to me she took a class and thought she would immediately take her place amongst the best hatters charging the same prices.

I wish her luck, but I can’t see ordering from her.

keryn

New in Town
She used to have her shop in Mariposa. I stopped by a couple times and had her replace a ribbon and bow on a hat. She had very few tools and her bow/ribbon work was not impressive. She offered to make me a hat (it was a lot!) despite not having a block in my size. It seemed to me she took a class and thought she would immediately take her place amongst the best hatters charging the same prices.

I wish her luck, but I can’t see ordering from her.
Hey there, do you remember when you came in? Did you visit my Mariposa shop or the new Fresno location? I actually never took a course, I got started by taking old hats apart and learning my way through it. Ribbon work is certainly something I am always working to improve and have definitely gotten much better then from when I first started. As far as price- my hat prices were about half of what they are now-from when I first started- as most people will raise them as not only their skill set improves but of course as felt prices increase. Generally speaking- my prices are still $200-$500 less than hatters I have seen that have more years under their belts.

Thank you for stopping in,
Keryn Nicholson

keryn

New in Town
I'm so glad to hear about this. Next time I'm in my hometown of FresYes I'll have to check her place out!
Hi Joe! Yes please do, would be happy to have you in the shop I am mostly by appointment so I recommend calling ahead of time. Thanks so much,

Keryn Nicholson

Hey there, do you remember when you came in? Did you visit my Mariposa shop or the new Fresno location? I actually never took a course, I got started by taking old hats apart and learning my way through it. Ribbon work is certainly something I am always working to improve and have definitely gotten much better then from when I first started. As far as price- my hat prices were about half of what they are now-from when I first started- as most people will raise them as not only their skill set improves but of course as felt prices increase. Generally speaking- my prices are still $200-$500 less than hatters I have seen that have more years under their belts.

Thank you for stopping in,
Keryn Nicholson

I’m came into your shop in Mariposa a few times (loved the smell of roasting coffee from the store in front). :)

We have several well-established hatters who make 100% beaver hats in the $375 to $500 range and rabbit and fur blend hats for less. They do excellent work and have dedicated threads here with many supporters. I wish you well, but I was put off by your pricing for what looked to be the work of a beginner. Hats are simple, but to get them right requires a lot of skills, tricks, and tooling. It seemed to me that you were asking a lot for your hats when the finished product didn’t justify the price. I don’t doubt that you have satisfied customers, but many here on this site own a lot of hats and can be quite particular on our custom orders.

I want every hat maker to succeed and want more people to enjoy wearing hats, and custom hats in particular. It does seem to me that we had a wave of new hat makers starting a few years back who burst on the scene with little or no experience and asking master hat maker prices. I hope you succeed and I’d like to see how your hats have progressed. I’d love to have a quality hatter in Fresno.

Brent

keryn

New in Town
I’m came into your shop in Mariposa a few times (loved the smell of roasting coffee from the store in front). :)

We have several well-established hatters who make 100% beaver hats in the $375 to $500 range and rabbit and fur blend hats for less. They do excellent work and have dedicated threads here with many supporters. I wish you well, but I was put off by your pricing for what looked to be the work of a beginner. Hats are simple, but to get them right requires a lot of skills, tricks, and tooling. It seemed to me that you were asking a lot for your hats when the finished product didn’t justify the price. I don’t doubt that you have satisfied customers, but many here on this site own a lot of hats and can be quite particular on our custom orders.

I want every hat maker to succeed and want more people to enjoy wearing hats, and custom hats in particular. It does seem to me that we had a wave of new hat makers starting a few years back who burst on the scene with little or no experience and asking master hat maker prices. I hope you succeed and I’d like to see how your hats have progressed. I’d love to have a quality hatter in Fresno.

Brent
Hi Brent, thank you very much for your reply. I too loved the smell of freshly roasted coffee up there

I don't recall our conversation from back then, but the Mariposa shop was a pop-up basically, so you are quite right, I didn't have much equipment up there. I had a workshop down in Fresno with most of my blocks and flanges etc. I used to drive up Fri-Sunday and had a more functional workshop in Fresno- so I'm wondering if that's why I didn't have your size block up there. It was such a great space though and they have the best coffee!

I really appreciate your feedback. I have definitely improved my ribbon skill set in particular (and hopefully many others).
I definitely believe you in quoting price points, I do find it surprising considering felt prices. Perhaps that have other suppliers.

I do respect this craft immensely which is why I appreciate your feedback and why I will continue to do my best and improve every year.

Best,
Keryn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails