Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frightening Trend - Article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
airfrogusmc said:
I deal with some of those guys all the time. The $1000 Armani suits. All show and no go. The don't do anything but look great doing it.

Of course they are all show and no go. Armani suits cost more than that. You are dealing with fakes. :eek:
They don't do anything but look great doing it?! What do you work for a Hollywood studio or the government? :p

Regards,

J

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
Bahahahahaha, that's what the lazy do when they don't want the boss to think they're goofing off.lol

*wakes up and rubs eyes* huh what? no...I wasn't sleeping I was dealing with a mental block..

airfrogusmc

Suspended
They tend to be the middle to upper management in large organizations that make creative decisions using what we call "by committee" method. Because they are in positions where by always doing the safe thing it has got them where they are. In creativity you will never achieve greatness if you always do the safe thing. The most creative pieces are always one that make you look close and pay attention whether its commercial or not. You think about it long after you see it. You can't get there by doing whats safe. So those that are in large organizations that are authoritarian by nature are always wanting to do the safe thing. If you a creative person with a great deal of skill you will tend to stay away from those organizations and gravitate towards the ones that do not operate like that.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
airfrogusmc said:
In creativity you will never achieve greatness if you always do the safe thing. The most creative pieces are always one that make you look close and pay attention whether its commercial or not. You think about it long after you see it. You can't get there by doing whats safe.

Very true. I think you always have to be looking for that tipping point and riding it there. Between being very creative and winning awards but not creating sales, and the opposite.

As one famous ad man said (more or less) "Do you want a wall full of awards or do you want to see the %$^##! sales curve go up?"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
scotrace said:
As one famous ad man said (more or less) "Do you want a wall full of awards or do you want to see the %$^##! sales curve go up?"

Sounds like something David Ogilvy (of Ogilvy & Mather) would have said.

("Ogilvy led a storied life. Before advertising took its hold on him, British-born Ogilvy was expelled from Oxford ('for his indifference'), worked as a social worker in Edinburgh, became a chef's apprentice in Paris and sold Aga ovens-door-to door in England.")

Weston

A-List Customer
I was a graphic designer for almost 5 years at an urban free newspaper- presumably the "free"-est of the free. The dress code, which I asked about upon being hired, was "Don't come naked." It wasn't the clothes we wore that made us creative or not, but the environment and managers. It had nothing to do with dress.

Eventually, out of boredom, I started "anti-casual Fridays" in which I would show up in full suit and tie because I wanted to dress that way. It did nothing for me except make me feel more professional. But didn't do anything for my output. Funny, they all accused me of having a job interview that day.

Now I'm going into the ministry. Guess wearing suits is in my blood...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW