Fringe on an adult leather jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by beckster, May 9, 2018.

1. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

@Big J
    Hi-I had a trip to Japan in 1994-Fantastic but don't recall Nagano.My experience with rain capes is from watching the Seven Samurai more times than I can remember.As for the physics....well,I dont know.If it was good enough for Mifune it's good enough for me.Actually he wears a fantastic suit in Drunken Angel but that's another story.

2. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Although these give me visions of tacky barhoppers and stale cigarettes, I’d wear one. Really would. Anyone want to donate?

tropicalbob and Peter Bowden like this.
  3. steve u

steve u One of the Regulars

Big J, I was in Nagano in 2004, 06 , 08 , 10 , 12 . My wife and kids have spent the last 7 summers , including this year(mid May to Aug.) their. steve

4. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

@Peter, Steve, I remembered that a Lounger on another thread recently spoke about living in Nagano. I can't remember who it was. Sorry, I'm pretty bad with names, dates, addresses, phone numbers, pretty much everything!
    Nagano is nice though.

5. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Like anything ans everything else, it all comes down to personal taste and garment details.

There's tons of pictures of stuff posted all over this forum that I wouldn't be caught dead in. There are tons of cars posted in all the auto forums and groups I'm on that I wouldn't be seen tied to the hood of. But people like what they like, and that's (should be) enough.

At the same time, I never post asking what people think of anything I own or am looking to buy because the responses will be opinions, and they will be all over the place, as they always are. And just because someone likes or doesn't like something doesn't mean I will or won't.

All that being said, I have two jackets with fringes. One is my Daniel Boone/Davy Crockett suede that I got in the 1980s (and still fit into perfectly, thankyouverymuch), and a black leather motorcycle jacket.

The black one, I'm looking to sell. I put it on, and it's like, nah! The brown suede I still enjoy wearing, and get compliments on almost every time I wear it. But even without compliments, I just like the way it looks, and looks on me. It's not over-the-top, so to speak. It's basically the original style fringed suede jacket, and that works for me (and my tastes) best.

Maybe others like it. Maybe others hate it. Maybe others are indifferent. Okay. I like it. That's what matters.

6. Still rockin the Easy Rider look since 1969. And so does a man that I have a great deal of respect & admiration for.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_6799.JPG

IMG_6800.JPG

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

8. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

Is there something wrong with that?

Fanch likes this.
  9. ClassyMica

ClassyMica New in Town

I agree the Scully looks really cool! I saw a picture of my dad wearing one of these with all his "hippy" friends. I thought it was really cool that he used to have style :)

10. Criminal trial lawyer.

https://www.spencelawyers.com/attorneys/gerry-l-spence/

Some of Gerry Spence's high-profile cases:

* 1974 - The Karen Silkwood case; won $10.5 million on behalf of her children.

* 1979 - Won the acquittal of Ed Cantrell, a Rock Springs law enforcement officer who was charged with murder.

* 1981 - Represented former Miss Wyoming Kimberli Pring against Penthouse magazine - won $26.5 million for defamation.

* 1984 - McDonald's case; received a $52 million verdict against McDonald's Corp. on behalf of a family-owned ice cream company for breach of an oral contract.

* 1990 - Imelda Marcos; won acquittal of the former Filipino first lady on racketeering charges.

* 1992 - Emotional damages; won a record-breaking $15 million verdict for a quadriplegic client whose insurance company failed to pay a $50,000 policy 20 years earlier. Two weeks later $18.5 million was added in punitive damages.

* 1993 - Ruby Ridge trial; won exoneration of Randy Weaver on murder, assault, conspiracy and gun charges in the famous Idaho federal standoff case.

* 2006 - Mayfield case; at the age of 77, Spence represented attorney Brandon Mayfield, whom the FBI arrested after mistakenly linking him to the 2004 Madrid train bombings. Mayfield received a $2 million settlement and an almost-unheard-of formal apology from the federal government.

* 2008 - Geoffrey Fieger; at the age of 79, Spence won the full acquittal of Fieger, who was charged with 10 counts of conspiring to donate more than $125,000 to former Sen. John Edwards' presidential campaign.

Bamaboots, Fonzie and Edward like this.
  11. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think the popularity of the fringe jackets in the late '60's was largely due to the abundance of cowboy shows on TV during the 1950's. When I saw the the two RL jackets above my first reaction was "Wild Bill Hickock" and then "Wagon Train."

Benny Holiday, Edward and Bugguy like this.
  12. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

I remember seeing pictures of Wild Bill Hickok in fringe...

Here's Guy Madison as Wild Bill:

3dc13fa32609e355cc383aad1eb7c7b6.jpg

Hickok.jpg

7e15a948f09e84db0b0e4f4fcf3ba5f4.jpg

b6ecb3d743ee75241dd76bb6367bd864.jpg

e7f862577dab547a619d083ed8880cf3.jpg

Takeaway... Hollywood thought they were pretty authentic.

I like the comments about pulling the water off the fabric. I can wrap my head around that

tropicalbob and Joao Encarnado like this.
  13. IXL

IXL One Too Many

I have a fringed leather jacket but only wear it for some of the Cowboy Action shooting competitions, when I'm doing the Wild Bill Hickok thing. The rest of the time I'm post Civil War lawman. The fringe jacket works pretty well with an 1865 era Mexican twin-loop cross-draw rig, featuring a 3 1/2" wide belt. Yeehaw!

El Marro likes this.
  14. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I don't know. The only guy in history who could pull this off:
    IMG_9604.JPG

Joao Encarnado and scottyrocks like this.
  15. Corky Corcovado

Corky Corcovado A-List Customer

original.jpg
    Let's not forget Del Gue.

16. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

imo, fringe is a hairstyle, not a jacket style :rolleyes::p:confused:

Dav likes this.
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

Thanks. Interesting range of clients!

Doubtless so. I can see how the hippy movement, with which they also became associated, could put its own spin on the idea of the Great American West and Freedom.

Hendrix wore 'em too, though I believe that was more a nod to his own Cherokee heritage (if memory serves, his grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee).

To my mind it makes a lot of sense from pov of this stuff having, as I understand it, originated with the First Nation people.

Mn. Well.

Still a vastly cooler bike than Fonda's, though.

A jacket like that is the only way I'm likely to have any fringe ever again....

18. Spence also successfully defended Lee Harvey Oswald in Showtime's 5-1/2 hr mock trial program produced in 1986, "On Trial: Lee Harvey Oswald". Vincent Bugliosi was the losing prosecutor. An interesting program, some 23 yrs after the assassination & subsequent investigation.

Bamaboots and Edward like this.
  19. Edward

Edward Bartender

That really would have been interesting to see. Whether Oswald was involved or not (I've always suspected it was at least possible he was something of a Van der Lubbe), somebody somewhere wanted him silenced. I've always wondered what somebody had on Jack Ruby for him to be desperate enough to commit murder on live television, with no hope of getting away with it!

Bamaboots and Hurricane Jack like this.
  20. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Let's not forget Roger Daltrey at Woodstock.