Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From Central Europe to Florida - What hat to take

sander72

New in Town
First post. I have been coming here for a while now just to read and admire your hats and caps.

I am a 40 year old guy living in Central Europe. In winter I wear a local felt, either a brown Tonak which is not very crushable but nevertheless my favorite hat, or a black local fur felt hat which is crushable, but a bit too wide brim for my taste. The black one I wear in more rugged circumstances (bad weather, going into the forest, etc). I have a few caps as well, mostly winter and summer flat caps. Then a straw Milan from Dobbs that I bought in the US.

So here's a question that I thought I might ask the forum.

On Saturday, I will be flying out to Florida for a week of working (conference) and some fun out there. Which hat to take? It has been straw hat weather for a few days but on Saturday it will be definitely fur felt weather here. But what on the other side, in Florida? And if I take the Tonak, I am a bit worried about surviving the trip with it, then finding out it's too warm.

Options

1. Straw fedora - would be a bit strange wearing this on the first part of the trip
2. Summer stetson flat cap - good option but a bit boring. Would love to wear a hat in Florida
3. Fur felt - will it survive the travel?

What would you do? I will not put any hats in my checked luggage.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is it difficult to acquire straw hats in the Czech Republic? Maybe use the cap for travel (brims can get in the way on a plane) and order a new panama hat and have it delivered to where you'll be staying? That way you can take a new panama back with you.

sander72

New in Town
Is it difficult to acquire straw hats in the Czech Republic? Maybe use the cap for travel (brims can get in the way on a plane) and order a new panama hat and have it delivered to where you'll be staying? That way you can take a new panama back with you.

Difficult? A bit. There are many hat stores but they focus on the felt variety. I have actually 2 straw hats, one from Italy and one from the US.

I usually buy hats in a real store where I can try. I have experience that I have 56 or 57 size (7 1/8) depending on the make, and I really like to chose hats by trying them on me. Usually the hat that looks good on me is not the hat that looks greatest on the shelf.

So follow-up question. What's a good brick-and-mortar hat store in the vicinity of Orlando FL. My Straw Dobbs is from heritagehatshop.com in Phoenix, AZ. I had a good time trying numerous hats in that store.

Last edited:
Sander,

You might try to look online for a hat shop in or near Orlando. My guess is it will be fairly warm this time of year, so a straw would be your best bet to wear in Fla. Oddly enough, I am going to be there the week after and I will probably wear a straw Stetson Open Road for my trip. I would bet there are some tourist/beach type shops in Orlando where you can buy a straw, but not sure what quality you may get.

sander72

New in Town
Sander,

You might try to look online for a hat shop in or near Orlando. My guess is it will be fairly warm this time of year, so a straw would be your best bet to wear in Fla. Oddly enough, I am going to be there the week after and I will probably wear a straw Stetson Open Road for my trip. I would bet there are some tourist/beach type shops in Orlando where you can buy a straw, but not sure what quality you may get.

Thanks, I really appreciate the answer. I guess you guessed that, but I am not really looking to expand with a tourist type straw. I can buy that over here any time.

Still hesitating between taking the Dobbs Milan and the flat cap - and then look for a straw locally. Tried to Google a hat shop near Orlando (and I don't mind to drive an hour to get there) but no results.

I guess for felts we are pretty spoilt here with enough people wearing them to have a few shops in town.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Hey I will be in WDW May 1-4 Tampa the four days before that

Jeff

Sander,

tropicalbob

The weather went into tropical mode last week, with the temperatures at 85 (F) every day and some rain. At this time of year, I wouldn't even think of felt, as it's humid as well as warm. The straw is your only choice.
If you get down to Miami, there's a great brick-and-mortar on 163rd St., not far from Route 95 with a very decent selection.
Have fun!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I always dress for the climate of my travel destination so I vote that you wear your straw milan.

The weather went into tropical mode last week, with the temperatures at 85 (F) every day and some rain. At this time of year, I wouldn't even think of felt, as it's humid as well as warm. The straw is your only choice.
If you get down to Miami, there's a great brick-and-mortar on 163rd St., not far from Route 95 with a very decent selection.
Have fun!

Hey, T-Bob, what's name of the B&M on 163rd?

1961MJS

Hi

If I was going from a cool or temperate climate to Florida on vacation. I would tend to buy a hat when I get to Florida, or have it sent to Florida to pick up when I get there. In my opinion, straw / Panama / Sun Body type hats are EASY to destroy while a fur felt has is difficult to destroy. You can screw up the crease on a fur felt, but not tear it up. Since you'll be flying home again, I wouldn't consider an expensive hat. Airliners aren't a good place to take a large breakable item. You'll also be flying across the whole Atlantic, so you'll be holding the hat for quite some time. I wouldn't consider putting the hat in the overhead container because EVERYONE just stuffs their carry on luggage up there, that won't be good on your new hat.

Just my $0.02 Have fun with Mickey and Minnie!!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hey, T-Bob, what's name of the B&M on 163rd?
Not T-Bob but the shop is called Puerto Fino Hats. I've never been to the shop but I called them once and talked to a woman who couldn't have been less interested in answering a few questions about their stock and services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael