Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Borsalino 1950s Homburg Gulaela Qualità Extra Superiore 7 1/4 - 7 3/8

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino 1950s Homburg Gulaela - Stirina con nero European market Qualità Extra Superiore, tagged size 7 3/8 but fits halfway between 7 3/8 and 7 1/4 in its current condition (for details see below)
Stirina is a dark grey felt with a subtle greenish undertone; the hatband is black.

$70 shipped worldwide from Germany

This one needs some work on the sweatband and for that reason I'd sell it for much less than what I paid for. I have $145 into it and would sell it for $70 shipped.
Sending it in for a sweatband replacement would cost around $25 plus shipping to and fro.
The options are:

1) wear it as is, which is possible if the fit isn't snug (I'm 57.5cm head circumference and the hat works fine for me; Homburgs often fit better when they're a tad loose.)

2) have sweat replaced, which would be easy since it's a reeded sweat. I don't have a hatter nearby so I postponed it. If sweatband is replaced, the hat can be blocked to its original size 7 3/8 without a problem, I'm sure. Alternatively, it should be easy to downsize it to a 7 1/4.

3) glue the loose parts (about 3/4 the circumference is loose, partly held in place by simple, removable tack stiches from previous owner) with fabri-tac to the attachment next to the reed (the operation would be removable with aceton, and the sweat could still be re-sewn at a later time)

4) re-sew the ripped parts to the reed by hand

The brim curve is ideal for a Homburg, the crown block straight-ish and between a 51 and 52 block. It takes dry creases and returns to open crown without marks. I wore it with side dents; they can be placed anywhere (sides or front pinch).
The extra thread at the top of the hatband is actually for shipping when the hats are stacked, to protect the ribbon. Nobody ever seems to remove those in our day. Back in the day they were usually removed as soon as the hat was sold and worn. This one looks unworn, too, except for the popped sweatband stitches.
The felt quality is excellent.

iaxjD4d.jpg

yuNDKfQ.jpg

aGm0kRh.jpg

KFR35XK.jpg

ZUp5iEc.jpg

fwtWWOn.jpg

N90UnSW.jpg

nSkAb1t.jpg

qL291lV.jpg

OyY52ez.jpg

$70 shipped worldwide from Germany