Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Borsalino vintage 6 7/8 beige / sand - excellent condition

I don't know your personal life, but I'm also Asian, and I've had my fair share of racism in my life and I know there has been increased racism, honestly everywhere but a lot Stateside (and it's not just media, I've seen stats, and I'm not talking about over-sensationalism but even straight up what is being said by the leader in power out loud on TV is enough to worry/set an example) and it's just something I always have in the back of my head whenever I travel, anywhere in the world really. I've also had friends had issues at the border, I am just personally trying to avoid any issues.
I am Caucasian but live in Vancouver which is now approaching 50% Asian. In the border line-up our ethnic mix is usually proportionate so there are lots of Asians crossing with seemingly no problem.

Nobert

Practically Family
I have crossed the US border at least once every month for the past 6 years. Not once have I encountered a Border Services agent to be anything but professional. Some can be a bit grumpy early in morning when I cross but I have never had an issue. Just keep in mind the media loves to promote their narrative which often has little relation to reality. Yes, there have a few instances reported in the press but when you compare that to the millions of Canadians that cross the border into the US without a problem getting struck by lightning might be more of a concern.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think it might be a bit different in the east, mainly because it was the Quebec/U.S. border that the 9/11 terrorists used to get into the country. I recall some worries up in the northern part of the state amongst people who may straddle countries to get to work, about the increased security and tense, prickly atmosphere that followed in wake of Operation Freak the Hell Out. I don't know if it has changed since then.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think it might be a bit different in the east, mainly because it was the Quebec/U.S. border that the 9/11 terrorists used to get into the country. I recall some worries up in the northern part of the state amongst people who may straddle countries to get to work, about the increased security and tense, prickly atmosphere that followed in wake of Operation Freak the Hell Out. I don't know if it has changed since then.
It definitely shifted after 9/11, now they do scrutinize me much more but I have never had a bad experience. They are professional, some are more friendly than others, some can be short or snarky but nothing untoward.

I don't know your personal life, but I'm also Asian, and I've had my fair share of racism in my life and I know there has been increased racism, honestly everywhere but a lot Stateside (and it's not just media, I've seen stats, and I'm not talking about over-sensationalism but even straight up what is being said by the leader in power out loud on TV is enough to worry/set an example) and it's just something I always have in the back of my head whenever I travel, anywhere in the world really. I've also had friends had issues at the border, I am just personally trying to avoid any issues.

This is getting awfully close to politics which is banned on The Fedora Lounge. I also wonder how accurate your stats are. Let’s keep to hats, jackets, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner