1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

FS: Borsalino vintage 6 7/8 beige / sand - excellent condition

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by JessieJames, May 16, 2019.

1. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

borsalino-OR-Stetson.jpg 20190516_130211.jpg Bought this off ebay, excellent condition. No stains, discolouration, no moth bites. Just needs a little steam. Sand, beige colour.

Super soft fur felt can be shaped easily without steam.

I'm only selling it because it was advertised as grey and it's not grey and I was missing that in my collection.

Selling this at a loss.

265CAD
    200USD
    + shipping (45$cad to USA, but about 20$cad to the USA if I ship it without the Mallory box that is super damaged anyway and use a smaller box)

The hat is tagged 6 7/8" and the dimensions on the inside are 7.5" x 6" with a brim width of 2 3/4". The hat is very clean and does have what appears to be a cleaners tag stapled to the sweatband. It also has the "wind string" around the band.

Mallory men's hat box with the hat. The box is in delicate condition with the top of the lid almost completely detached from the rest of the lid.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

This such a beautiful lid! Have you considered changing the ribbon to add some variety to your collection that way? You can get creative, and still hang onto that special hat.

Either way, best of luck!

3. JessieJames

It really is a beautiful hat and I do love that I can shape it so well without steam, but between this and my 7X Stetson OR, I would chose the Stetson every time and I really wanted a mid or dark grey for this hat :\

Might just be sending it back to the seller and resign to the fact that I'll have spent 100$ on shipping it from the States to Canada, and Canada back to the States.

4. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

I believe that for less than half that hundred, you could keep it, AND pick out whatever color and style of ribbon you’d like. Just sayin’...

Rmccamey and JessieJames like this.
  5. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Does Henri Henri do modifications?

6. JessieJames

I'm quite certain they do but I'm not 100% sure

hatsRme likes this.
  7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Hey JJ:
    I’m curious about Canadian shipping. Why is it so expensive to ship from Canada to the US? Is it more to ship from the US to Canada? I mean are there extra fees shipping out and shipping in? Or is it due to the large size of the hat box?
    What if someone in the US shipped a hat to you in the normal size box what would it cost? Recently i got an expensive leather jacket that weighed nearly 6 lbs and don’t recall excessive shipping.

By the way...sorry the color isn’t working for you but it does have great contrast compared to your 7x CB. Total different look.
    And.... to perspective buyers...
    I will say this is one heck of a very high quality super thin, super malleable felted Borsalino that rivals many, many hats no matter the brand.
    GLWTS hope you don’t regret it!
    B

JessieJames likes this.
  8. JessieJames

I think it's the size of the box because it ways under 1.5kg.
    From the USA to CAN it was 26USD ~ 35CAD. Then something weird happened and we have a broker with UPS at our company and we didn't know that it would still go through them so they charged us 18CAD to "process" or something, even though it was marked as a gift with low value.

Then to ship it back to the States, with our national carrier, even with a small business card (saved 5$), 5 business day shipping it cost 45.89$ CAD

Which totals basically 100$ in the shipping

I'm debating returning to the seller or trying to sell it on ebay to recoup my losses and sell it for 300$ CAD + shipping, not sure it'll sell at that price.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  9. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Oh, okay i think i got it. You got charged for the Companies Broker service as an extra fee + shipping of a larger box.
    So i assume if someone in the US sent a hat to a non-company address in a smaller box it would be fairly reasonable and same Canada to US?
    The big question is....did the Borsa 6 7/8 fit you? Maybe post in WHAYWT and see what people think. Just a suggestion.
    B

10. JessieJames

it fit, felt a bit tight but it fit

as for shipping, it would be still 35$ to ship USA to CAN but to ship it back I checked with multiple shipping companies and it ranges but the cheapest is 45$

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  11. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

What would the cost be without the mallory hat box? (I've already got a ton of hat boxes so I don't need more).

12. JessieJames

That would be with the box. I didn't consider selling it without, tbh I don't know what the value of the box is alone

13. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

In my experience hat boxes tend not to fetch high premiums. Stetson Stratoliner boxes from the 1940's being the exception to that rule but generally speaking its the hat folks are after. Even in those cases the condition of the box plays a huge factor in final price. In this case the Mallory hat box is damaged and not original to the Borsalino. I usually ship my hats in a USPS Priority 12x12x8 box and they arrive in 2-3 days for just under $10 in most cases. But that's from and to the lower 48 States.

Rmccamey likes this.
  14. JessieJames

Ya from Canada the lowest I could get was 45.89$ and that was with this small business card I have that knocked off 5$. Comes with tracking #, I don't think the box added value, it was just part of when I purchased it, it's pretty much broken but the shipping package isn't that much bigger than the box. The shipping box was about 15 x 16 x 9 inches.

If I were to modify the box and use your dimensions of 12x12x8 (not sure how I would pack it inside) then the shipping actually does go down to 20.36 CAD, that's for IL.

15. JessieJames

So if I were to ship it without the Mallory box, and if I can get it to fit in a 12x12x8, then it would come to a total (shipping included)

285$ CAD
    212$ USD