Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Jerky Horsehide Grais flight jacket

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For sale is my beloved black "jerky" horsehide, actually marketed as front quarter horsehide back then, 1950s flight jacket by Grais. This one may actually be from the 50s, if not the 40s!

An amazing specimen, super sturdy, the leather is thick and substantial, with wrinkles deep to hide a cricket. It's unlike those Hercules horsehide jackets from the 60s that have become quite soft, this one is glossy and stiff. I believe Aero's jerky hide in 30 years would be like this, but, this is NOT the same as the jerky hide, it' slike a hybrid between a Horween FQHH and the Italian jerky hide. It's definitely an old American tannery back in the days, could well be Horween itself as Grais was based in Chicago!!

No tear no slash no problem. The lining has been restored by Johnson with their amazing satin quilt, the color choice matched the original purple.

Original hardware, intact and functions well.

Size 42-44, I'm 44, zips up fine, but no room for layers, so i think it's 42. Sleeves 25", shoulders 18", back length 25". This is one hell of a find!

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Nice looking jacket but you haven’t included a price. The zip dates it from 1954 - off the top of my head - to 1968 I believe. As to the FQHH. As I understand it all clothing HH is taken from the front quarter. Which is almost all of the horse forward of the quarters less the belly. Some parts are thicker than others of course. All the vintage HH jackets I’ve bought over the years have stated FQHH on the labels. Horween FQHH is much thicker that the HH used in the original jackets and I believe was mostly a shoe leather before the fashion for thick leather jackets made it popular.

tropicalbob

The Grais jackets that I've seen seem to be of very high quality, as well as being one of the most commonly seen labels on the vintage market. The above pictured jacket is a very nice one.

regius

So should I let it...go? :)

I'm waiting on a new Aero jerky flight jacket so I have to bite the bullett, asking for $350 plus shipping. A STEAL!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner