Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Hat Collection Photographs Thread

You’re a wise man. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have a few more than 50 in my collection and think I will set 50 as my upper limit. This spring will involve some cleaning out of the ones not worn. The biggest issue for me is tooo much choice and I find myself pondering which bloody hat to wear. I am thinking I have over complicated my life compared to my father who owned but one hat. For him it was clear each day which hat he was wearing.
Fortunately my wife does not have the 'collecting gene' otherwise we would need a bigger house. She accepts it in me I think by rationalizing on the continuum of vexing habits in a spouse collecting hats and bikes is on the lower end of the scale and thus tolerable. My stock rejoinder to any of her sideways looks...."many hats come and go but just one wife.''

Today I started organizing my garage. I store my hats in my garage and a spare bedroom, that also houses seasonal decorations. I have another 50 or so scattered around my house in my bedroom and living room. The garage project made me take stock and get an exact count. 173. I don’t want 173 hats. I have four more customs on order too. I find that I’ll have hats on the bottom of the stack behind another row of hats. Some hats I don’t wear due to difficulty of getting to them. I briefly considered a small remodel to make room for the hats, but I don’t want my home to revolve around hats and there is a distinct possibility that my job will require a move this year and I can’t move 173 hats into an apartment.

All of this is to say that I’m in need of a serious reduction. I think 50 hats is a reasonable number, and I’d like to get it down to even fewer.

b246039213c62ea98baf24ba65de4fc0.jpg

b711f2f203d395e2d5864dcdf9f84b3b.plist

I’m a size 7 5/8 and I’ll be making the hats I’m thinning out available to members here in our Classifieds before moving them into ebay. Not all of them are vintage or gems. I have several more recent and more common hats to thin out. Feel free to send me a preemptive PM if there’s something in particular you’re looking for; otherwise, I’ll slowly put them in the classifieds.

A 173 hats eh? I should be so lucky! And you can't say you don't want 173 hats: you want more! But it's just not practical to have that many and likely a good many of them never get worn, but just sit around being "interesting" of "historical". So understandable and relatable that you want to cut down on the number of hats, Brent. Any ideas on how to make the choice which ones to keep and which ones should go?

I have a few more than 50 in my collection and think I will set 50 as my upper limit. This spring will involve some cleaning out of the ones not worn. The biggest issue for me is tooo much choice and I find myself pondering which bloody hat to wear. I am thinking I have over complicated my life compared to my father who owned but one hat. For him it was clear each day which hat he was wearing.
Fortunately my wife does not have the 'collecting gene' otherwise we would need a bigger house. She accepts it in me I think by rationalizing on the continuum of vexing habits in a spouse collecting hats and bikes is on the lower end of the scale and thus tolerable. My stock rejoinder to any of her sideways looks...."many hats come and go but just one wife.''

My wife doesn’t show much interest in my hats, but she doesn’t give any sign of displeasure when a new one arrives. She knows they bring me pleasure. If a big chunk of the hats went she would be appreciative for the reclaimed storage space and a bit less clutter.

If she really wanted them all gone I’d make a bonfire. I’d do anything for my wife, but she never asks for much.

A 173 hats eh? I should be so lucky! And you can't say you don't want 173 hats: you want more! But it's just not practical to have that many and likely a good many of them never get worn, but just sit around being "interesting" of "historical". So understandable and relatable that you want to cut down on the number of hats, Brent. Any ideas on how to make the choice which ones to keep and which ones should go?

You and Max (and a few others) are in your own category of hat collecting.

You’re absolutely right: I want more. I can’t keep myself from looking. However, unlike you, many of my hats are recent manufactured “nothing special” types. Because I have a larger hat size, too often I buy any hat I can find in my size.

I’ll also confess that I just ordered another nutria hat body (this makes two) for what will be my last custom hat...yep, I said it with a straight face.

You and Max (and a few others) are in your own category of hat collecting.

You’re absolutely right: I want more. I can’t keep myself from looking. However, unlike you, many of my hats are recent manufactured “nothing special” types. Because I have a larger hat size, too often I buy any hat I can find in my size.

I’ll also confess that I just ordered another nutria hat body (this makes two) for what will be my last custom hat...yep, I said it with a straight face.

Are the nutria bodies in stock? How long will it take for you to receive them?

Are the nutria bodies in stock? How long will it take for you to receive them?

He has a limited supply of the 220 gram felts with no plan to get more of the 180 gram. Many of the colors are not currently in stock, but I bought a pewter and an almond. He should have them all in stock late spring.

I image the two I bought will arrive this week since they are shipping from less than 100 miles away.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The one's to keep will be easy. The one's to get rid of will be easy. It's all those "maybe's" that will be the toughest!

J Williams

Practically Family
My wife doesn’t show much interest in my hats, but she doesn’t give any sign of displeasure when a new one arrives. She knows they bring me pleasure. If a big chunk of the hats went she would be appreciative for the reclaimed storage space and a bit less clutter.

If she really wanted them all gone I’d make a bonfire. I’d do anything for my wife, but she never asks for much.

I'm fairly new to collecting anything but tools, but I know when I do a really good purge of stuff I no longer use it's always a great feeling, plus you will probably make some other people happy in the process. For example if you have any 7 1/2's that you haven't gotten around to sizing up I'm happy to have a look see. :)

SteveFord

A-List Customer
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so if not, please move.
I've been giving a lot of thought to hat storage and wish to protect them from dust and moths yet I also like to look at them and have them handy.
I decided on a 4 prong approach: daily beaters hanging in the dining room, bowlers inside a roll top desk, hats in rotation sitting on helmets and the remainder in a walk in cedar lined closet.
storage2.jpg
storage1.jpg
storage4.jpg
storage3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner