Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Hat Collection Photographs Thread

DJH

I'll Lock Up
DJH, those are nice too. I really like that Bluegrass Whippet. I am now in the stage of my hat wearing where I am only getting the fur felts. I still have a bunch of the wool felts that I am giving out to others that are just getting started in hat wearing. So far I have two Akubras and a Beaverbrand fur felt.

Kirk H.

Thanks, Kirk. I was lucky in that I'd done some reading here before getting my first hat so I skipped the wool felt ones.

DJH, that is an awesome grouping! I remember seeing that green Playboy in the classifieds, but I think you'd already snapped it up.

Yes, this is the one that Douglas sold a few months ago.

That is just too exquisite, David. Jlee-- I admire your collection and display method as well! such class, everyone.
Now I'm inspired to figure out how to make one photograph of my hodgepodge eclectic collection.

Thanks, Jeff. I'd be really interested to see all your hats in one shot!

One of these days I'll have to do a proper family portrait, but here's a sampling...

Top (from left); Bluegrass Stetson Whippet,

I want one of those never heard of it before on the Lounge.

Cookie, there have been Bluegrass Whippets here before. Here's one that Delectans posted some time ago. This shot (and some of him wearing it) inspired me to seek one for myself

whippeti-L.jpg

His lighter green one is super cool as well!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Almost full collection photo

My felt family excluding the Homburgs and the wide brims (2 3/4" to 2 7/8").
All are 2 3/8" or 2 1/2" brims, except the VS Oxblood and the VS Black Cherry which are a tad shorter, being nearer to 2 1/4".

Going in vertical lines from front to back, starting on the left side [ribbon color in brackets]:
1st column: VS hats: Mojave [w/ 19 L navy], Sand [w/ 19 L greenish dark grey], Blue Smoke [w/ 17 L black]
2nd column: Vintage: Resistol Kitten Finish Beaver Twenty sand [w/ 22 L dk.mocca], Borsalino Misto mid-grey [w/ 22 L black], Brent 5X Beaver dove-grey [w/ 22 L black], Resistol Kitten Finish Beaver Fifteen chocolate brown [w/ 19 L mid-brown]
3rd column: VS hats: Sahara [w/ 19 L dk.mocca], Dove [w/ 19 L black], Dove [w/ 22 L charcoal], Powderblue [w/ 22 L midnight blue]
4th column: VS hats: Silverbelly [w/ 19 L greenish dark grey], Oxblood [w/ 24 L reddish-brown], Black Cherry [w/ 19 L tonal]; behind that, a Mallory Aristocrat Quality dark brown [w/ 19 L tonal]

21njw36.jpg

A closer look at the lighter felts (same arrangement):

szc1zs.jpg

Last edited:

One Too Many
Ok, got all my hats out for a group shot....my camera (poor excuse as it were for a camera) is broken, so this cell phone shot will have to suffice:
2011-11-15151719.jpg

Top Row: Christy's Adventurer (Sable), Akubra Fed IV (Carbon Grey), older Resistol Florentine Milan, Stetson Latte Shangtung Milan, Black Sheep Hat Works custom Milan (Black Walnut), Stetson Golden Century
Bottom Row: Penman Hats Public Enemies-esque (Black), Resistol Gotham I (Orbit grey), mystery Resistol OR style (I don't know if this qualifies as Silverbelly or not....might be sand), Black Sheep Hat Works custom (hand dyed Oxblood), customized Optimo Dillinger (Oxblood)
Nice collection, I like both white ¡¡¡¡¡

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Done! My hat-wall all-stars

Here.

I’m done. 100% vintage. From now on it’s just maintenance/replacement if needed. But these hats were built to last. Top row: Empire State Milan-weave (’60s), Dobbs (’40s-’50s), Lock and Co. (’40s-’50s), Champ (’60s; has a picture of a 707 on the lining) and Adam (’60s; Frank Sinatra hat). Bottom: Plaza Park Milan-weave (’60s), stingy-brim Dobbs (same), Stylepark Aristo Templeform (same) and Creighton (’40s-’50s).

Lights

Familiar Face
Everyone has such nice collections. I wish I had started picking up hats several years back. I remember seeing them offered left and right on eBay for pennies compared to todays prices. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir though.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
too many hats!

I don't really want to give any up, but even I think I have too many at this point! And I know I won't stop here. I am going to have to start downsizing the ones that don't see much noggin' time, but the trouble is where to start? the dead weight hats from Target, etc., won't finance a nice vintage one. what if my kids need them down the line? what if I buzz my head again and become more comfortable in stingies? what if? what if!? I don't even know how many I have-- probably just over 40.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I don't really want to give any up, but even I think I have too many at this point! And I know I won't stop here. I am going to have to start downsizing the ones that don't see much noggin' time, but the trouble is where to start? the dead weight hats from Target, etc., won't finance a nice vintage one. what if my kids need them down the line? what if I buzz my head again and become more comfortable in stingies? what if? what if!? I don't even know how many I have-- probably just over 40.
I just thinned my herd down to 70 but have a couple on the way. I'd like to get under 60 but I'm struggling with what to get rid of next.

JAVIER

Practically Family
One of these days I'll have to do a proper family portrait, but here's a sampling...

bookshelf-L.jpg

Top (from left); Optimo Falcon Grey, VS Silverbelly, Green Stetson Playboy, VS Black Cherry, Grey Borsalino (it does look greenish in some light)

Bottom (from left) Mallory Nokabout, Bluegrass Stetson Whippet, Stetson Zephyr Weight - The Royal Stetson, Dark blue Borsalino Rollable.

Interestingly, apart from the two VS hats, these all were previously owned by fellow Loungers.

Your collection is one of my favorites around. It's like a buffet, you can't help but desire one of each.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
HatCollection.jpg

Here’s the current full hat collection, not counting the two in cosmetic surgery that may or may not make it. Got rid of all the old wools and assorted low-crown Stetsons. The moonstone Fed is on its last leg with its passing brim trim job; thinking of replacing it with another lighter colored hat. The Beaver Brand, and brown Fed have 4pt diamonds, while the others have 6pt.

Back row: left to right:
Beaver Brand white western derby(size 7 1/4, 2 3/8 brim, 4 5/8 to front of pinch)
Akubra moonstone Federation IV (size 58, 2 1/8 brim, 4 3/8 to front of pinch)

Front row, left to right:
Akubra silverbelly Campdraft (Size 58, 2 3/8 brim, 4 5/8 to front of pinch)
Akubra dark brown Federation IV (Size 59, 2 1/4 brim, 4 5/8 to front of pinch)
Akubra glen grey Campdraft (size 58, 2 1/2 brim, 4 5/8 to front of pinch)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I tried this method in a different thread earlier with my pipes, and thought I'd give it a go with the lids, just for fun. Current collection (yet always changing), including the cheapies. I used old pics, so you might recognize some as having been modified.

hatcollage.jpg

One Too Many
I tried this method in a different thread earlier with my pipes, and thought I'd give it a go with the lids, just for fun. Current collection (yet always changing), including the cheapies. I used old pics, so you might recognize some as having been modified.

hatcollage.jpg
Bowlers, fedoras, caps, really nice, great collectión¡¡¡
Cheers¡¡¡¡¡

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez, when I see all these hats, makes me want to own them all, everyone has such nice ones, where do you start desiring any one of them on their own?

I do like everyone's hats and then I see bowlerman's collection, it is like viewing a hat shop website for the "criminally drooling" hat owner, my lord, if you ever want to add someone to your "last will", please include me. All those hats have some story they tell I can bet!

I had to down size my hat numbers, just no place to put them all, and yet I am still missing the ones I have sold or given away and just can't seem to stop wanting just one more.....

tealseal

A-List Customer
I love this thread! Whenever any of my friends or my girlfriend tell me I have too many hats (5 fedoras, 1 western, 1 panama, 2 caps), I give them this link :D

In all serious though, you all have beautiful collections! I'll post a photo of my small collection sometime soon.

:yo:

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I have one question about your collections. Do you display them or are they for your "own consumption so to speak"?

TipTop

Practically Family
Without some special wide-angle lens, it could be tough to photograph that passel o' lids. I'm almost feeling badly for you. :)

Rod and Rand, I'm thinking of photographing only those that I am "satisfied" with; i.e. I have worn and will keep the style/bash/band etc. vs trying to shoot all of the strays in the corral that are awaiting some sort of update, modification, repost on ePrey. That would cut down the inventory shots to a sensible level, and not expose me to charges of willy-nilly buying...sort of....;)

I must add that I like Bowler's approach to Volume Display.

Now, just don't ask about boots...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider