Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur collared Luftwaffe leather jacket. Has anyody come across one of those?

JanSolo

Practically Family
I've just read a Wikipedia article about German Luftwaffe Ace Werner Mölders which includes a rather casual group shot from 1940 showing him and another pilot both wearing short leather jackets with mouton collars. I've never seen one of those. Are they field modified? Or a private purchase? I know that there weren't many leather service jackets. But these two jackets are identical in construction.

784px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1992-0401-509%2C_Werner_M%C3%B6lders.jpg

Graemsay

Practically Family
No idea about the origins of the jackets. But something that did jump out at me was that the pockets are cut in the wrong direction.

That strikes me as being more suited to being worn in a cramped airplane cockpit, as the pilot could reach across his body to access its contents. There might not be space to get into a more traditional, side facing pocket.

So my guess would be that this isn't a straightforward civillian jacket that's been adopted, but something that's been designed for the job. Whether they're one-offs for the squadron members or a standard piece of issued kit is a different question.

You planning on getting Aero to cook you one up Jan?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks for your input! I haven't realized the wrong angle of the pockets, but it makes sense the way you explain it.

You planning on getting Aero to cook you one up Jan?

No:D ! I'm not too much into Luftwaffe jackets (i.e. wearing replicas of them) and I think that Eastman's Hartmann already is a very sleek and smart looking variation of this type of jacket.

Metatron

One Too Many
Very cool jackets.

I've only seen this style worn by Molders previously, and it seems from your photo that others wore it too. Perhaps it's just another privately purchased motorbike, or even aviator jacket? Maybe Molders and his buddy in the photo bought it from the same shop! :D I think it's very unlikely that this was issued.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Nice jackets... but what caught my eye were those strange-looking boots(?) on the guy in the middle. What are they, low boots with canvas gaiters?

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Geronimo said:
Nice jackets... but what caught my eye were those strange-looking boots(?) on the guy in the middle. What are they, low boots with canvas gaiters?

The boots in the pic are standard Luftwaffe issue.
Finished leather bottoms with a suede type leg.
A strap at the ankle and another at the top of the boot leg. Some versions also had small tube shaped pockets to store flare gun cartridges.
I once owned a pair and they are very well made boots. As good if not better that the RAF equivalent

Pilot on the left is Werner Molders one of the top pilots at the time of his death.
As both have on the same jacket , I agree that they are a Luftwaffe issue
as are the boots

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I believe these are private purchase jackets. To my knowledge the only leather flying jacket to be an issue item at this time (1940) was the white leather winter wear jacket with the black fleece. Don't know the date but the Luftwaffe authorised the use of private purchase short length leather jackets. Moelders and this other chap will have obtained their jackets from the same source.

The other thing that strikes me about these is the woven hem at the bottom.
The Luftwaffe jackets I'm familiar with are hemmed with leather.
These jackets look like they took the bottom of an A2 and grafted onto them.

FIWI, as they were brought up already, I own an Eastman Luftwaffe jacket, and it's quality, fit and design are absolutely superb.
http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastmanleather/products/product-81114.stm

Eastman's jacket is actually not designed after the one Hartmann wore, but rather a copy of a design known to be worn by Luftwaffe pilots.

This jacket from Noble House is supposedly designed after the one Hartman wore;
http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/31

And, while on the subject of Luftwaffe Jackets, another design by German manufacturer Erdmann;

http://www.erdmann-lederbekleidung.com/web_main.php?num=4&cont=20&lang=2&islist=0&sort=&ord=&isart=1

As you can see, a fair amount of variation in the design of what the pilots were wearing.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not Motorbikes

I really like the Noble House Jacket, perfect color. But, alas, no wind flap. I really think by cycle, they are referring to bicycles, not motorbikes! Even at relatively slow speeds, the wind gets in and is very cold. And remember, there were plenty of bikes that would go well over 50mph back then, and I am not just talking Brough!

Stearmen said:
I really like the Noble House Jacket, perfect color. But, alas, no wind flap. I really think by cycle, they are referring to bicycles, not motorbikes! Even at relatively slow speeds, the wind gets in and is very cold. And remember, there were plenty of bikes that would go well over 50mph back then, and I am not just talking Brough!

I like that design also.
I see they list their sizes as "Small, Medium, Large...etc." rather than 38, 40, 42 etc. I always wonder a bit when I see that as to the quality of the product/manufacturer.
Anybody know anything about Noble House's products?
(Running a forum search in the mean time.)

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Noble House

Jeff M said:

I´ve just seen that that now have repair parts in stock... zippers and cuffs:
http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/index.php/cPath/43?osCsid=f74tiknqni8tm90kp7u64qdm87

Don´t know what to think about the zippers... they look like Ykk zippers to me with a different pull... I may get one to put it on a vintage style Jacket...
The Cuffs are way to expensive... for this price you can get a set from MASH JAPAN with waistknits!

They also have a new Jacket in stock:
http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/42/products_id/84

Doesn´t look to bad on the picture... but it´s obvious that they´ve took a look at some Jackets from the premium manufacturers ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR