Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fur felt in hot weather?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have always worn felts until Labor Day

OK, in Kansas, Labor Day can fall in April if it gets hot enough

Anyway, I would start in wearing straws and wear them all summer and into the fall ...so I wouldn't sweat stain any felts

But it's gotten so danged expensive to get a decent straw, and then you sweat it up instead ...

This year, I've already planned several lighter, older felts that will get some spring and summer wear.

I still have two dressy straws to save for those few "suit" ocassions in hot weather, and a couple of decent straws that will get some wear, but I'm going to try felts again this year.

For what it's worth ... not much, I know

Sam

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I sweat like a fountain no matter what the temperature, no matter the hat. Ball cap, felt, straw, leather, bandana; my forehead gets soaked. So I wear what I want to, whenever.

earl

A-List Customer
Well, I'm a seasonal hat wearer period in that I don't like wearing hats in temps that would make me sweat. As a result my hats don't get out much. Wear the fedora only fall/winter and only to work where I'm spiffed up. Have long been tempted to get a panama, however. But not wanting my head covered in the hot months, (for me that's any day where it gets to at least 75 degrees), and, as SC noted, in Kansas that's many days of the year, figured I wouldn't wear it enough. Heck, supposed to hit around 75 in a few days. earl

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I'm a seasonal hat wearer period in that I don't like wearing hats in temps that would make me sweat. As a result my hats don't get out much. Wear the fedora only fall/winter and only to work where I'm spiffed up. Have long been tempted to get a panama, however. But not wanting my head covered in the hot months, (for me that's any day where it gets to at least 75 degrees), and, as SC noted, in Kansas that's many days of the year, figured I wouldn't wear it enough. Heck, supposed to hit around 75 in a few days. earl

No getting around it, hats are hot. On the other hand, in summer I notice my head sweats even if I'm not wearing a hat. So there you go.

fmw

One Too Many
Yesterday the temp was 45 degrees here. I headed for the post office but had to get a cat out of the garage door opening motor before I left. By the time I got to the post office, my sweatband was wet.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
I've been wearing my Stylemaster all summer, almost every day. It can get hot under it, but it beats having the hot summer sun bouncing off my shaved head. I've enjoyed spending more time in the sun without having my scalp burnt & peeling the following day too

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I've been wearing my Stylemaster all summer, almost every day. It can get hot under it, but it beats having the hot summer sun bouncing off my shaved head. I've enjoyed spending more time in the sun without having my scalp burnt & peeling the following day too
Another benefit is the added protection from potential skin cancer.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Yesterday the temp was 45 degrees here. I headed for the post office but had to get a cat out of the garage door opening motor before I left. By the time I got to the post office, my sweatband was wet.

Yet another reason to prefer dogs, or Clydsdales, to cats :)

Sam

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Another benefit is the added protection from potential skin cancer.

in deed. Last time I saw my dad he was about to have a basal cell carcinoma removed from his nose. Caught early and benign, but still a reminder of the dangers of the sun.

I think he really appreciated the Acorn Stylemaster I sent him last xmas ;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I sweat like a fountain no matter what the temperature, no matter the hat. Ball cap, felt, straw, leather, bandana; my forehead gets soaked. So I wear what I want to, whenever.

Ditto and likewise! Thought I do have a few straw hats I tend to wear the felt hats year-round.

Cheers,
Tom

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
It gets HOT - into the triple digits - and HUMID - near 100% - here on the coast of NC in the summer. I sweat a lot whether I'm wearing a hat or not. My solution - I have my nice hats that I wear when I'm not planning to sweat - like to/from work, the store, etc.. In other words, I'm in an air conditioned space.

I bought a used dark brown Fed IV Imperial that I wear when I'm not out in the sun, but still outside - at the range, workin' in the garage, etc.. Hot, but not in the sun. I have a light brown Camp Draft that I wear when I'm going to be in the sun - yard work, etc.. The lighter color of the Camp Draft helps a little, plus it has a wider brim all around. I'm thinking about removing the liner in it to help a little with the heat. The dark brown is fine when I'm not in direct sunlight.

Having hats that I know are going to get distressed helps keep the others from becoming distressed. This is exactly why I bought used hats for knock-around hats. They already had a little character in them from the previous owners.

I'd rather be a little hotter from the hat and not get burned on the top of my head!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wear vented straw in hot weather.....

BQ6BG2BmkKGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr3WBJ7TWpqm.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It gets HOT - into the triple digits - and HUMID - near 100% - here on the coast of NC in the summer. I sweat a lot whether I'm wearing a hat or not. My solution - I have my nice hats that I wear when I'm not planning to sweat - like to/from work, the store, etc.. In other words, I'm in an air conditioned space.

I bought a used dark brown Fed IV Imperial that I wear when I'm not out in the sun, but still outside - at the range, workin' in the garage, etc.. Hot, but not in the sun. I have a light brown Camp Draft that I wear when I'm going to be in the sun - yard work, etc.. The lighter color of the Camp Draft helps a little, plus it has a wider brim all around. I'm thinking about removing the liner in it to help a little with the heat. The dark brown is fine when I'm not in direct sunlight.

Having hats that I know are going to get distressed helps keep the others from becoming distressed. This is exactly why I bought used hats for knock-around hats. They already had a little character in them from the previous owners.

I'd rather be a little hotter from the hat and not get burned on the top of my head!

I think all that makes sense.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

you make some good points and I'm like you, sweat whether I've got a hat on or not. But because of the extreme heat we have here in Texas, and all the bright sun, I RARELY wear a felt in the summer :)

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I've spent enough time in the desert - ours and theirs - that the heat doesn't bother me. It's the damn humidity I hate! And humidity is one thing we're never short of here!

msm007

One of the Regulars
Just thought that I would add my two cents. I live in northern Europe where the warmest temperature is about 90 to 95F. I was visiting family in Texas and brought along a silver belly 30x Stetson. The toughest temperatures were around 110F in San Antonio. The fur felt worked really well. I am going to try a straw, but to be honest the fur felt worked so well I would not hesitate to use it again. That said the hat does get some character from all the use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari