Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fur felt in hot weather?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
OK, as a newbie, I'm thinking of getting a Fed IV in Moonstone. If I wear it hiking in California summer weather, will I ruin the looks of it? I'm thinking that Akubra hats are made for the outdoors....am I better off getting a Sydney? Or a Casual?

Goose.

Practically Family
Well, Blackthorn...
I too am from CA. And I have all three. Get the Moonie. Hands down.
You can thank me later ;)

Casual . . . . .. . . . . . . . Sydney . . . . . . . . . . Federation IV Deluxe Moonstone​

470658532_FzvcR-Th-1.jpg
470754676_4sub9-Th.jpg
514228783_3KHii-Th.jpg
(BTW; where in California are you from? I've been Oaktown/East Bay since '71. Temps get warm here in July/August but not much humidity)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the advice, Goose. I'm in San Jose, so we're neighbors. :)

Hey Goose, one more question...since you have all three, you're my expert! I'd normally wear a 58, or 7 and a quarter. I'm having trouble figuring out the different size of the Fed IV, since they say don't use the normal measurement. So do I go half a size larger or smaller?

Goose.

Practically Family
Cool beans :)
I lived off Capitol and Pearl behind the Quick Stop two houses from Terrell Elementary School behind the Chrysler dealer on Auto Row. Reason I asked is that the weather varies significantly in this state.

ANYWAY...I wear a 60. My Federation IV STANDARDS and all other Akubra hats, I order a 61. If they are loose, a piece of foam (comes with 'em) helps.
I have two Fed IV Deluxe lids (Dark Brown and Moonstone) that I ordered in 60...they fit first time and every time. Rain or shine.

No bullsheet, get the Federation.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
getting a new hat in minutes....

Wow, it is indeed a small world! I lived near Aborn and Capitol for 2 years, now I'm near Blossom Hill and Almaden Expway.

Thanks Goose, now only question is, do I order from Hats Direct or someone else? I'm so excited, my first Fedora!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
ANYWAY...I wear a 60. My Federation IV STANDARDS and all other Akubra hats, I order a 61. If they are loose, a piece of foam (comes with 'em) helps.
I have two Fed IV Deluxe lids (Dark Brown and Moonstone) that I ordered in 60...they fit first time and every time. Rain or shine.
Wait...so you wear a 60 and you ordered a Deluxe in 60? I'm getting the Deluxe Fed IV, so since I wear a 58, what do you think, should I order what I wear or one size larger?

Goose.

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:
Wow, it is indeed a small world! I lived near Aborn and Capitol for 2 years, now I'm near Blossom Hill and Almaden Expway.

Thanks Goose, now only question is, do I order from Hats Direct or someone else? I'm so excited, my first Fedora!
Hats Direct. You''ll have it within 7-10 days. Telll them "Goose" sent ya...won't do you any good, but I may get some free Vegemite ;)
My daughter lives near Oakridge (actually closer to Princeton Plaza...Branham and Kooser).

Wherever you go hiking, you will love the Fed. GREAT hat.

Note: was gonna send you a PM to quit boring others with our proximity data, but you need about seven more posts. But what the heck, it's all good. If others don't like it, they can change the channel ;)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Hats Direct. You''ll have it within 7-10 days. Telll them "Goose" sent ya...won't do you any good, but I may get some free Vegemite ;)
My daughter lives near Oakridge (actually closer to Princeton Plaza...Branham and Kooser).

Wherever you go hiking, you will love the Fed. GREAT hat.

Note: was gonna send you a PM to quit boring others with our proximity data, but you need about seven more posts. But what the heck, it's all good. If others don't like it, they can change the channel ;)
lol Yep, I'm a newbie, but if I keep posting at this rate soon I will be able to get PMs and can stop bothering the general public. Thanks for all the help, Goose!

Goose.

Practically Family
The way I look at it, even the most innocent post may help someone. I don't sweat it. For whatever reason, there are many more that read and lurk that never ask or post anything than those that ask or add value.

If our posts help one person that is too skeerdy cat to ask or if we answer one question that they are too chickie to type, then it's all good.

Keep us (me) posted on what you end up doing Blackthorn. I am interested.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Blackthorn said:
lol Yep, I'm a newbie, but if I keep posting at this rate soon I will be able to get PMs and can stop bothering the general public. Thanks for all the help, Goose!

Welcome Blackthorne, one of the greatest assets of the lounge is shared information so don't think you are some how bogging down this well oiled machine. I have a camp draft that I ordered through hats direct and got it in about 8 days on the east coast. I went with a 61 (7 5/8) and found it a bit roomy at time of delivery. The foam snugged it up for me until I gave it a good soak and a better rain. If you are between sizes I would suggest the smaller size end but that is just on my melon. I am a long oval which further complicates things.
Tom D.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
The way I look at it, even the most innocent post may help someone. I don't sweat it. For whatever reason, there are many more that read and lurk that never ask or post anything than those that ask or add value.

If our posts help one person that is too skeerdy cat to ask or if we answer one question that they are too chickie to type, then it's all good.

Keep us (me) posted on what you end up doing Blackthorn. I am interested.
Thanks Goose, I'll do that. And thanks to St Ig, too, for your input.

Goose.

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:
Wait...so you wear a 60 and you ordered a Deluxe in 60? I'm getting the Deluxe Fed IV, so since I wear a 58, what do you think, should I order what I wear or one size larger?
Missed this one. Fed Deluxe? Order your size.
If it doesn't fit, write HD BEFORE you crease/bash it. They will send you what you need pronto. But, it'll cost ya about $35 to send it back (Been there. Done that. Size error on their part - sent me a 59 - they PayPal'ed shipping cost, but still a drag).

Maybe the best thing is to write HD and ask them (sales@hatsdirect.com). And, as St. Ignatz typed, the size may vary. Larger? Smaller? Dunno.
Case in point; while both of my FIVDs' fit perfectly outta the box and after our hellish rain, my Homburg 61 fits perfect as well. My Hampton 61 needed a bit of foam. Easier to adjust for larger than smaller. Crystal clear, huh? ;)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Missed this one. Fed Deluxe? Order your size.
If it doesn't fit, write HD BEFORE you crease/bash it. They will send you what you need pronto. But, it'll cost ya about $35 to send it back (Been there. Done that. Size error on their part and they PayPal'ed shipping cost, but still a drag).

Maybe the best thing is to write HD and ask them (sales@hatsdirect.com). And, as St. Ignatz typed, the size may vary...larger? Smaller? Dunno.
Case in point; while both of my FIVDs' fit perfectly outta the box and after our hellish rain, my Homburg 61 fits perfect as well. My Hampton 61 needed a bit of foam. Crystal clear, huh? ;)
lol lol Well, too late anyway...2 minutes ago I put the order in for one size larger than I normally wear. I guess this is one of those cases where you pay your dime and take your chance. Thanks for the heads up, though, about contacting them before creasing/bashing it. I'll check it out first, then I'll know more about how to proceed. You and St. Ignatz have been a great help to this newbie. Thank you both!!

Tiller

Practically Family
This is a bit surprising, so some of you do enjoy wearing your fur felt in hot weather days huh? Do you guys find it better then straw on those 90 degree plus days?

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Come on now, just because I'm from the Pennsylvania Piedmont doesn't mean I like to stain my fedoras. We have been having a nice reprieve from time to time and when I can get a day in the low to mid 70's the lighter felt will make an appearance. Rainy day's are a welcome excuse to bust out the Camp Draft. The straws will get plenty of time out of the boxes soon enough.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm guessing that cowboys back in the day wore fur felt hats, in desert heat or in rain. I'm also guessing that it stained the hats but didn't ruin them? And I'm guessing the average cowboy looked at the stains as fashionable, unlike most of us today in our fedoras.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Welcome Blackthrorn! I see Admiral Goose as been looking after you well (stick around long enough and you'll get the Admiral reference). Just to chime in agreement - you'll love moonstone, Hats Direct is the place to go, and a little bigger is better. The Fed IVs are blocked about 1/2 size smaller than list (so I wear a 59 but order a 60 and then add a little foam on the sides because I'm a long oval).

When you do get your hat don't cry if it seems to big. On all my Fed IVs I could stick my ears up inside (tight but I could do it). After creasing they fit with only a little bit of foam on the sides. Here's my advice (no warranty implied), when your hat comes and IF you think it's way too big take the strip of foam they give you LEAVE THE WAX BACKING ON and put it up inside the leather sweat band close to the seam. If the hat is still too loose then, it's too big. A full strip of foam will cut the size by one full size.

If you want a comparison of colours you can check this out here at comment #266 (over on the right hand side):

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39790&page=14

Hope it helps and make sure to post pics of your hat when it comes.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
FurFeltFedora said:
Welcome Blackthrorn! I see Admiral Goose as been looking after you well (stick around long enough and you'll get the Admiral reference). Just to chime in agreement - you'll love moonstone, Hats Direct is the place to go, and a little bigger is better. The Fed IVs are blocked about 1/2 size smaller than list (so I wear a 59 but order a 60 and then add a little foam on the sides because I'm a long oval).

When you do get your hat don't cry if it seems to big. On all my Fed IVs I could stick my ears up inside (tight but I could do it). After creasing they fit with only a little bit of foam on the sides. Here's my advice (no warranty implied), when your hat comes and IF you think it's way too big take the strip of foam they give you LEAVE THE WAX BACKING ON and put it up inside the leather sweat band close to the seam. If the hat is still too loose then, it's too big. A full strip of foam will cut the size by one full size.

If you want a comparison of colours you can check this out here at comment #266 (over on the right hand side):

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39790&page=14

Hope it helps and make sure to post pics of your hat when it comes.

This helps a lot, FFF, thank you much! Great advice! And I will indeed post pics when it gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk