Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Future of hats

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
We have been speaking about the future of hats, I wanted to ask you fedora experts a question about the past:

I know very little about the history and evolvement of the fedora and am wondering what would be a good book to get that would give me a history of that hat. I do know some things about cowboy hats, but little or nothing about fedoras.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

karol

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Originally posted by Wild Root
Fisk, I know you were talking about the Akubra hats. But, I used Optimo as an example. I haven't seen an Akubra up close and have not touched one to know the felt quality. But, I know that you swear by it and that must mean it's a good hat. :D

Art said that on a scale from One to Ten the felt quality is a 6... which is perfect for me. It's not too dressy, not too soft and I'm not worried about being a baby when I wear it. It looks good and stants up to the elements. It's all I want in a fedora.

This is what kids want! This is what most of them think is cool.:cry: It's the Neo Swing generation that likes the flames, dice and spades on their shirts and shoes. Sorry, not for me thanks. LOL

I hope most of these kids wake up and see the exsample we're setting for them and come around.

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's cool! A 6 isn't bad at all. I think we all need a hat that is meant for every day wear and that stands up to what ever you throw at it. I'll keep that in mind;)

Yes, I hope as well as you do that these young people come around to what really is attractive.

Root.

Originally posted by Wild Root
Yes, I hope as well as you do that these young people come around to what really is attractive.

Sure we can convince them a vintage hat can actually be cheaper and better in the long run. For instance, you can probably pick up a hat like this (Borsalino) on an auction site for no more than $35 on a good day. If you want to change a few things then it may double your cost but it will be cooler than anything they can find on a store shelf and it will be specifically their's and no one else for miles will have the exact same thing.
How's that pitch?

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It's actually the ladies hat that I am bidding on. I have never had a ladies Borsalino and am curious as to what it is like. The hat is a size 7 in winter white.

karol

Ah, is that the hat you were referring to? I didn't even look to see that it was a woman's. :eek: Sorry I brought up that particular one. It was just the first picture of an interesting Borsalino hat that came up when I was looking for one. I won't say anymore about where it is etc. It sure is not my size anyway. LOL It would be interesting to give it the man's treatement though. Change the cloth sweatband for a leather one, put in a liner and replace the ribbon with a contrasting color witht he bow ont he left side and a man would be set with that. :D
WR, I am not trying to increase competition, believe me, just increase the number of people preserving these great hats. The more people collecting them the more saved. It will also drum up business for those craftsmen who can keep these hats in top condition. Then again, how much competition is there for hats in the 7 5/8 size range anyway? LOL LOL

Regards to all,

j

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It's OK. Yes, I think it does have possibilities for a man's hat. If I do manage to win it, I will be showing it again here. I have friends who are ebayers and sometimes we bid against each other. We don't hold it against anyone, even when they "snipe." I have been known to snipe, too, if I want something bad enough.

The best thing to do when bidding is to bid the maximum amount you would actually pay for an item. Then, you hope no one catches and passes you. If they do, well, they do -- and you wouldn't have paid that much money for the thing, anyway.

I had a bid on another Borsalino but got outbid on it. I couldn't see it very well anyway. Some of those sellers don't display the hats very well -- you can't always see the form of the darker hats or the bash on top. Or the picture is tiny or blurry.

There is a beauty of a hat on there now that is too much money. I don't want to start a bid at $70 or more!

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany