Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats-Plus in Chicago and my impressions with Modern Day production "Straw" hats

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I have to agree finding a nice modern factory straw hat is tough unless you want to spend a ton. I had a similar experience recently at Bernie Utz in Seattle. Thanks to these forums I got a great Cuenca hat from one of Panama Bob's ebay auctions for less than $50 shipped. Sure the ribbon wasn't the best and the sweatband was cotton but the hat quality was excellent and I couldn't have been happier. Actually liked the cotton sweatband but since I was ordering a hat from Blacksheep Hat Works anyway, I'm having Bob Jessee add a nice ribbon and leather sweatband and will end up with a great hat for less than $100.

Panama Bob's website: http://www.panamas.biz/

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree finding a nice modern factory straw hat is tough unless you want to spend a ton. I had a similar experience recently at Bernie Utz in Seattle. Thanks to these forums I got a great Cuenca hat from one of Panama Bob's ebay auctions for less than $50 shipped. Sure the ribbon wasn't the best and the sweatband was cotton but the hat quality was excellent and I couldn't have been happier. Actually liked the cotton sweatband but since I was ordering a hat from Blacksheep Hat Works anyway, I'm having Bob Jessee add a nice ribbon and leather sweatband and will end up with a great hat for less than $100.

Panama Bob's website: http://www.panamas.biz/

What he said. :arated:

masiaka

Familiar Face
Is anyone on the lounge satisfied with a shantung "panama" of theirs? I've been wearing a modern Stetson milan during this summer, but I'm looking for something a little lighter than the milan but more durable than an actual panama.

Brando11

A-List Customer
So glad you bought the hat at the store where you found it, Josh. I'm a big supporter of brick and mortar shops. I've been buying, selling and collecting guitars far longer than hats, and the internet has played havoc with mom and pop music shops. People buy instruments now online like they're buying a pair of socks, not realizing how different every one of them plays, sounds and responds to the player. Hat shops are falling away the same way, and I hate to see that.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
So glad you bought the hat at the store where you found it, Josh. I'm a big supporter of brick and mortar shops. I've been buying, selling and collecting guitars far longer than hats, and the internet has played havoc with mom and pop music shops. People buy instruments now online like they're buying a pair of socks, not realizing how different every one of them plays, sounds and responds to the player. Hat shops are falling away the same way, and I hate to see that.

Agree with you completely Brando. I did buy a Borsalino from Bernie Utz when I visited. I also visited John Helmer Haberdasher in Portland and bought a Stetson despite it not being my favorite hat, they didn't stock the one I wanted. Not sure how anyone could walk out of a hat shop without something when you finally do find one. In both cases, the hat shops were destinations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner