Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for the benefit of your experience --- Fed IV or Campdraft?

Kbobrex

New in Town
Hi All,

First post here, so be gentle. I have read many threads/posts here and used the search feature to narrow down my choices to the above mentioned two. For background, I am not a "hat person" to the extent that I perceive many of you to be. I wear hats, and have for years. But I'm not a collector, and will try my darndest not to become one (although that hasn't worked with guitars, guns and other things!). I have a few hats, but as I am getting older I now would like to get to where I have just a couple of quality specimens that I can get really comfortable with. I don't see myself ever having a big collection (nor does my wife, apparently), so while I can appreciate advice like, "Just get both", I value my marriage more than I crave hats!

I currently have an old wool felt fedora-like hat that I got at a music festival some 25 years ago. I've kept it in the truck, and used to wear it a lot... now the upper side is bleached to a "natural" color, while the bottom is still dark brown. Its ok as a beater, but it has shrunk, and since I expect it would self-destruct at its age, I won't wear it in the rain. I have a 35 year old fur felt open crown amish hat that I wore until my cars got to be too small for its brim. I put it aside for some years, and alas, it was eaten to where a spot on the brim half the size of a dime is feltless, and shiny. I doubt that it can be repaired. I bashed it and because of its scar it is now my winter rain hat. It is black, and would be too hot, I think, to wear it much past winter for the outdoor use to which I intend to put my next hat.

I have a wool crushable "outback" type hat that I walk the dogs in. Its OK for around the yard in winter, but there is no chance that I'll ever have any affection for it. I have a couple of flat Donegal Irish caps that I have lived in during recent years, but .......

Life was good with my Irish caps, until I saw one of my music buddies in a new Stetson fedora a few weeks ago. As an aside, let me say that my wife and I really don't need a color TV, as she watches old black and white movies all the time. I zero in on the hats, and all those idiosyncratic creases and styles... Bogey, the Thin Man, etc etc. So, when my friend told me there was an actual hat store about 30 miles away where he had purchased his Stetson, well, that was it. I immediately went there and got myself a Stetson Downs fedora in Graphite for wearing to work. Although the price I paid there exceeded online prices, it was worth the education in hats to be able to buy it in person. And then, of course, I hit the internet...... looking for more..... and here I am.

I really, really need (oh oh) just one more hat.... a fedora style, to wear into the warmer weather basically all the time that I am not at work. My amish hat has a 3"+ brim, and I'm not comfortable with a brim that wide for an everyday hat. I'd like a fedora style, as opposed to a "cowboy" or outback style... I live in northern New Jersey, and even though its more rural here than urban, those wouldn't go over too well here. I don't mind a tall crown, but not a skyscraper.

So, I presently think that my ideal hat would be a fedora style, 2 1/2 to 2 7/8 inch brim, open crown, light, soft felt (I won't wear a cardboard box just because it may be "durable" --- I don't make my living on horseback...) I don't really care if the brim is bound or raw, but I don't mind the thought of the whole thing getting a bit "floppy" over time. I will wear this hat most of the time I'm not wearing the Stetson to work or something dressy (to me the Downs is a "dressy" hat). The hat must become an extension of "me". This hat will spend time in the car, in the woods, on the trail, at camp, in the yard, going to a concert, going to casual dinner with friends, on stage in my country rock band, around town, on vacation, in an airplane overhead, in my truck, in a tent, and if I think it will survive it, in my motorcycle saddle bag. It must be tough, comfortable, laugh at rain and snow, be warm, be cool, cook breakfast, make me look 25 years younger, command respect, have a sense of humor, heal the sick, cure hoarseness, and make plausible excuses to my wife when I get home too late.

I think, from research here, that I might go with the Federation IV Imperial in dark brown or moonstone, or the Campdraft in ????? Other considerations were the Banjo Paterson in some fawn color, possibly the Leisuretime..... Which, if any, of these??? Other considerations in this general direction??? I'm trying to buy "just one" hat ....... and stick with it. Not so much as a "signature" thing, but I tend to be most comfortable when something becomes a friend to the point that it says "me".

From reading in this forum I feel that I have learned a lot from you already, and I will greatly appreciate hearing of your experiences with these various candidates. Please pardon this lengthy first post. At least the introductions are over!

By the way, if you should reply here and I don't acknowledge it right away, it is because I may have to go away tonight. I will be sure to check in later this weekend.

I look forward to your advice.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I have both.... my feeling is that the Federation is just slightly more 'flexible' of the two.... both great, though. I'd suggest, for a first / "only" hat, a Federation Deluxe in Moonstone. The regular feds are great too (I have one of those in Carbon Grey). The moonstone will look well with both earthtones and black / greys / blues. The dark brown is great (I have one), but the grey just goes with a little more.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's not great to store hats the car, the felt and the sweatband can shrink in hot weather.

All the Akubra hats are generally going to be of the same quality. Which is tough as nails. They do have a heritage line of felt, which also uses wild hare fur, which should be a bit more durable than their Imperial felt, but as I said, their imperial felt is nothing to shrug at.

I own a Carbon Grey Fed IV and it's a great hat. My go to hat for rain. It is important to note that the Akubra hats do shrink a little bit on their own as you wear them in, so if you're in between hat sizes, I would go up and not down.

If you're going to go for the Campdraft, the classic color for that hat is Silverbelly. The Campdraft used to be produced by Akubra for Stetson and was a licensed version of the classic Stetson Open Road hat. That would probably be my choice if I was making it.

The Campdraft will be a bit stiff for a while. it will soften as it breaks in. I have a Campdraft and it is my go to hat most often worn now. I'll get a Fed sometime in the future when the winds of fortune do change, but went with a Campdraft for the sheer classy outdoorsman look.

Brando11

A-List Customer
I'll chime in for the Campdraft as well. Outside of my Charcoal VS, which is in a class of it's own, my Campdraft is my most worn hat.

T Rick

Practically Family
Two very different hats IMO. The Camp Draft (I have two) is more of a "Country" styled hat, a bit more casual (to me) than the Fed IV. For your Country Rock band, it would work better than the Fed IV IMO.

The Fed IV (have none, need one or two) is a great and versatile hat. Indy comes to mind of course, and it will handle as many adventures as you're likely to throw at it. A bit more "City" looking IMO, not that there is anything wrong with that.

As to plausible excuses to your wife, I'm afraid you're out of luck. For that, you'll need nothing short of a genuine vintage Stetson ;).

I know you don't want to hear "get both", but I do bet you will eventually. Perhaps we should just address which to get first. Either will serve you well. The Camp Draft would be my choice first (well, it was after all.... I have two). Still need at least one Fed IV though (plus, I do have a Stetson Nostalgia in Caribou, sort of similar to the Moonstone Fed IV). One thing is for sure. If you end up collecting hats after all, you'll find them WAY more affordable than guitars or guns (why I have around 40/50 hats and only a dozen or so guitars, and a few dozen guns!).

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I will have to recommend a Fed IV simply because I am so enamored with them. It's a city-type hat with no country or western overtones, but it is big enough to shade your head, ears and eyes. While wearing mine, I don't need sunglasses 99% of time that I'd need them without the hat.

But, please don't leave any felt hat in a car. A hot car interior can ruin a hat in short order. I also don't know about shoving a fedora into a saddle bag. I didn't wear fedoras a lot of the time during the past 30+ years because I had no place to carry them, and I wouldn't shove one into a saddle bag. As I have stopped riding as of June 2009, I wear a fedora every day.

job

One Too Many
I don't own either one but I have read here that many people end up trimming the dimensional brim on the Fed.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
The camp draft in silverbelly has to be one of, if not the most, versatile hats you can wear, IMHO. Not only does the color go with everything, but the hat is versatile across a wide variety of environments. From dressed up to jeans and t-shirts, it can carry it's weight. Good luck and hope you enjoy your new hat

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I have a few hats, but as I am getting older I now would like to get to where I have just a couple of quality specimens that I can get really comfortable with. I don't see myself ever having a big collection (nor does my wife, apparently), so while I can appreciate advice like, "Just get both", I value my marriage more than I crave hats!

I'm trying to buy "just one" hat ....... and stick with it.

This is a sensible attitude. Good for you (and welcome) ... :yo:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

IFFFFF you become a serious hat wearer, you'll want at least 4 hats: 1. One to wear with black and navy blue; 2. One to wear with Earth tones; 3. Nice Summer hat; and 4. Sweat stained Summer hat. Don't buy all at once. Don't buy a wool hat, they shrink in the rain. Don't buy a really expensive hat first. Don't ask why I know not to do these things.

From what I read here, the Fed IV is a great starter hat, Akubra is a good brand, it's inexpensive, and it looks good. PERSONALLY, I'd consider going the opposite of the Indy Jones look. Earth Town Camp Draft and Black or Gray Fed IV, but that's OPINION and worth exactly what you paid for it... Have fun. :)

Just sayin'

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I don't own either one but I have read here that many people end up trimming the dimensional brim on the Fed.

2011-12-01130732.jpg

Yeah the dimensional cut is less popular here than with the COW Indy crowd. I quite like it though!

MCrider

A-List Customer
Personally I would go for the Fed IV. Currently I have a Moonstone Fed IV and a Blue Grass Green Campdraft. The Fed IV is my go to hat and it definitely get more wear than the Campdraft which for me at least, is a little too wide in the brim. I like the Fed IV so much that I'm currently saving for one in Tawny Fawn. As for Heritage vs Imperial, I have a Fed III in Heritage felt and it seems a bit thicker and stiffer than the Imperial grade Fed IV. Hope this helps.

Kbobrex

New in Town
Hello again.

A change in plans has me here at the computer as opposed to on the highway tonight. Thank you for the advice and opinions so far.

Appears that there is a lot of love for the Campdraft as a veratile and durable hat that is a go to choice for more than a couple of you. I also understand the loyalty to the Fed IV, as well.

I'm torn between these two, as it is clear that either would be a good choice, and there is likely not a "better" hat between the two. I share the concern that the brim on the Campdraft might be a bit wide. On the other hand, the Campdraft would be clearly different from the Stetson Downs that I recently purchased, in style, and intended use. Different is good.

I guess the intangibles will tip the scales. The Fed IV, in moonstone, is really attractive to me. But the contrarian in me feels like going with the Campdraft as it is less likely to be seen as an "Indy" hat. A silverbelly Campdraft would be light, where my Stetson and current amish hat are dark. It gets recommendations from you for being a town to country hat, which I really like. I have read that the "regular" akubra felt may be softer, yet still plenty durable. I suppose that despite what I said above, it will be easier to decide on one of these two if I don't rule out eventually getting the other, and think of this as the choice of which to get "first".

Anyway, the Campdraft is looking really good, but I guess I'm looking for some final reinforcement that it is NOT a cowboy hat, and is "fedora-like" enough.

I'm pretty sure that I'm ok with the narrow ribbon thing, but just how hard is it to change that?

Anyway, thanks to all for your help. I must say that the level of discourse on this forum is head and shoulders above (no pun) some of the other online gathering places I follow.

Regards,

Bob

masiaka

Familiar Face
The Campdraft is a little bigger than other modern fedoras, but its brim is small enough that no one will mistake it for a western or outback hat and its crown can be lowered with a few minutes work at shaping it. I understand your dilemma, it's hard to tell which one of the nearly perfect hats is more perfect. I say that if you already have a semi-dressy hat, get the Campdraft. It's versatile enough to dress up with a jacket and tie but is at home with a plaid shirt and jeans, not something I'd feel comfortable doing with a Fed IV (although it's on my list as a potential dressy fedora).

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I love my Fed IV's. My Tawny one goes well with both dress wear as well as casual wear. It is my go to hat.
Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck and welcome to the Lounge.

Kirk H.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Hats Direct will cut down the brim if it is too big for you. I have read of others here having it done. So you might check into having that done if the brim would be too wide for you.

Edward

Bartender
It is important to note that the Akubra hats do shrink a little bit on their own as you wear them in, so if you're in between hat sizes, I would go up and not down.

My experience has been to the contrary: My Akubras, in my own size, have all been a litle large when they arrive: a couple of weeks of regular wear, and they soon "shrink to fit". I have some that are now a little over four years old, and once they snugged up they've not shrunk any further. Not too tight, just right. I'm a regular 57, though - I'd ask advice from Hats Direct if you are between sizes.

If you're going to go for the Campdraft, the classic color for that hat is Silverbelly. The Campdraft used to be produced by Akubra for Stetson and was a licensed version of the classic Stetson Open Road hat. That would probably be my choice if I was making it.

My CD DLX is a sivlerbelly (of course - the DLX isn't offered in any other colour). It's a great shade, though for an only / first hat I'd suggest the grey as a better option. I wouldn't wear the tan hued silverbelly when I'd be wearing black shoes/ accessories. YMMV.

I've seen a few folks on here trim it down, though more often when they're aiming for an earlier Thirties high crown / slightly narrower brim look. [huh]

I'm torn between these two, as it is clear that either would be a good choice, and there is likely not a "better" hat between the two. I share the concern that the brim on the Campdraft might be a bit wide. On the other hand, the Campdraft would be clearly different from the Stetson Downs that I recently purchased, in style, and intended use. Different is good.

There really is minimal difference between the two, side by side. That said, the CD does give the illusion of being a taller hat than it actually is: the narrow ribbon (when one is used to a regular fedora's deeper ribbon) would be the cause of this.

I guess the intangibles will tip the scales. The Fed IV, in moonstone, is really attractive to me. But the contrarian in me feels like going with the Campdraft as it is less likely to be seen as an "Indy" hat.

Don't be too sure.... wear a brimmed hat,. you will get Indy comments. And cowboy comments. And whatever else the average person in the street has as a point of reference in these days when brimmed hats simply aren't the norm.

A silverbelly Campdraft would be light, where my Stetson and current amish hat are dark. It gets recommendations from you for being a town to country hat, which I really like. I have read that the "regular" akubra felt may be softer, yet still plenty durable. I suppose that despite what I said above, it will be easier to decide on one of these two if I don't rule out eventually getting the other, and think of this as the choice of which to get "first".

Anyway, the Campdraft is looking really good, but I guess I'm looking for some final reinforcement that it is NOT a cowboy hat, and is "fedora-like" enough.

Not hard to get a good, Fedora-type bash. The brim is not a snap, but it's not hard to steam it down in front to give it that look. This is mine:

393639_10150469706397260_555787259_9109369_1913965384_n.jpg

408671_10150472040497260_555787259_9118743_186828431_n.jpg

Aside from the perceived higher crown (due to narrow ribbon), it really doesn't look much different than a good fedora. The brim is only a tiny fraction of an inch wider than the Fed. Personally I think it would be a shame to trim it down (one detail of the CD I really like is the bound brim... I suppose you could have that redone, but it starts to get really expensive fast - too many mods and you'd be better having a custom hat made).

The wind trolley is a lovely detail on the CD, surprisingly useful. I wish they'd do that on the Fed!

I'm pretty sure that I'm ok with the narrow ribbon thing, but just how hard is it to change that?

Any competent hatter should be able to do it very easily - not sure what it would cost, but it can be done very easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21