Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 Original L.W. Foster 7823 2312 (1958) 40 (42) F/S RARE FIND!!!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Heres a fantastic example of L.W. Foster’s 1958 J-7238 (AER) G-1 jacket.

Its in fantastic, clean condition for its vintage. A bit of a rare find. A wearable-collectible one might say.
This is labelled as a size 40 and fits well in the body, with room for a light layer. Could say it fits like a trim 42 (Measurements below)
I am 5’10, 40” chest and approx 72kgs - This jacket is more like a trim 42, comfortable with room to layer.

GOATSKIN - The goatskin shell is in near excellent condition.
There are no stitch holes or tears. Usual scuffs here and there. Loys of grain and character.
There is a small mark about 8 inches from the cuff - see picture below. This is a surface mark only.
WINDFLAP - The wind flap is perforated with the early smaller “USN” and is in a horizontal position (the later were vertical and larger).
ZIPPER - The Conmar zipper is excellent, works perfectly.
KNIT - The cuffs and rib rack waist band are greatt (Ithe cuffs were replaced at some point, but the waistband appears original)
MOUTON COLLAR - The reddish brown mouton fur collar is mint with no loss.
LINING - The lining is great overall with a few signs of the usual wear at the neck.
BUTTONS & SNAPS - Perfect and original to the jacket
STITCHING - Looks to be good and strong
One thing to note, is that I think when the cuffs were replaced, the lining at the cuff, was re-installed a bit twisted, one can feel it when you put your arm through the sleeve. This doesn’t detract from wearing and can be readily re-aligned if needs be.
Foster 7823 G-1 jacket 40 002.JPG
Foster 7823 G-1 jacket 40 004.JPG
Foster 7823 G-1 jacket 40 006.JPG
Foster 7823 G-1 jacket 40 009.JPG
Foster 7823 G-1 jacket 40 007.JPG
Foster 7823 G-1 jacket 40 008.JPG
Foster 7823 G-1 jacket 40 012.JPG

As mentioned, I am 5’10, 40” chest and approx 72kgs
This jacket is more like a trim 42, compared to my other size 42 G-1s, comfortable with room to layer.

Size 40, but please check below & see pics.
Approximate measurements:
Shoulders - 19”
Pit to pit - 22.5” to 23” stretched
Back length - 26”
Sleeve length Outer - 25”
Zipper front length - 23”+

As often happens, the sleeves feel a bit short than Im comfortable with.
I have three other original G-1s that fit me better, in need of refurbishing.
Freeing up cash for these.

Im looking to recoup costs (incl. jacket, postage and import duties)
£450 net plus postage (and fees if applicable)

Originals of this contract and in this condition, usually sell for a lot more.
Yes, its a bit more than an mid range repro, but its way less than half a top end repro!!!!!!!!!
This is a GREAT opportunity to grab a late 1950’s original 7823 G-1.

his contract is covered in, “A Better Fighting Garment… 2.0” pg3 here… (Big thanks to the gentleman who compiled this)
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/“a-better-fighting-garment…”-2-0-a-revised-guide-to-the-u-s-navys-intermediate-leather-flight-jackets.30031/page-3

Please see pics, ask questions.
From a pet & smoke-free home
No returns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner