Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1, USA Made, $175

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well sorry to hear that. That sounds pretty much like mine.

It's unfortunate that the jacket being issued to modern Naval Aviators is a shadow of what it once was..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marv

A-List Customer
Here are some photos of the PHAAR G1, the jacket actually looks betting in the pictures than in the flesh.

I have even attempted at quick HWT misting session on the jacket and worn wet but still not much character has developed, I will be removing the San Diego Leather label and replacing the chunky YKK puller with the Paper clip style to give it more of an authentic look.

Anyway see what your think.....

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
It's funny, it DOES look better in the pics.

You know, somewhere in the goatskin thread I believe, someone had brought up that the issue with the rubbery feel is really just the finish applied to the leather. They had recommended a little Acetone to remove just a bit of the finish.

Might be worth a try.

Marv

A-List Customer
The fit is pretty good, especially in the body however the sleeves are a bit too long, about and inch and not a tapered as I am used to so hoping this will reduce as the sleeves crease up.

The jacket is a 48" Reg but fits like a 46" Reg in the body so i'm guessing this is the reason for sleeve length.

Don't get me wrong, for the price the jacket will make a great beater and would be an excellent starter jacket for someone who wanted a budget G1.

I have now removed the San Diego Leather label and just waiting for my paper clip style slider/puller unit to arrive then I will have a go a replacing the puller first so watch this space.

Deacon211

One Too Many
So I guess that brings me to the logical next question....if the Pharr G-1 is discontinued, who makes the G-1 for the naval services today?

Marv

A-List Customer
As far as I am aware and from what I keep reading, the current supplier is Cockpit USA but I could be wrong...

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
As far as I am aware and from what I keep reading, the current supper is Cockpit USA but I could be wrong...

Wow, really?

I did see that the Museum of Naval Aviation was selling Cockpit jackets in their store. They weren't quite as nice as the old school Cockpit jackets from the 90s which would have approached G+B in quality (and surpassed them in fit).

I was really hoping that a new maker or good old one would return the G-1 to its former glory.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have an Avirex/Cockpit mil-spec G-1 from about 7-8 years ago and it's a beauty! Great fit (46 Long), wool cuffs and waistband and real mouton collar. I'm not sure how their quality compares now with the new jackets.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I don't know how the Cockpit line aged over time. I had purchased one way back in 1990 when I thought to make it my "cruise jacket" and festoon it with all the patches I would one day acquire. Unfortunately, an ex-girlfriend acquired it. But it was a great, solid jacket; better than my issued piece.

But when I went to the Pensacola museum a few years ago, the Cockpit jackets they sold there (in my day, they sold Coopers in the Exchange) were kind of over-processed...spongy and a bit limp.

As I wrote before, I don't know if they were selling a downgraded copy of the G-1 to tourists, but the jacket was just not as nice as the old one I had had.

Actually, as I just got back from the Museum last week, I had my wife take a few shots of the Museum G-1s...

1baf567ce1885e34e93c88593bf5923a.jpg

282cecadab2b76625a086c77cfdcbd27.jpg

As you can see, not a bad looking cut. The only thing I was disappointed in was the finish of the leather.

Now, when I was there a year or two ago, I had stopped in the Flight Gear Issue shop, just to chat with the coveted jacket hander-outters as it were and they were still handing out Pharrs. Of course, my walrus behinded 48 was probably not the most popular size, so there are probably a mix of Pharrs and whoever took over the contract as the old stock thins out.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Out of curiosity, where did you find that the Cockpit was currently making issue jackets?

I can't seem to find any reference to a maker after Pharr. I know that they make A-2s for the USAF, but didn't know about them supplying to the Navy/Marines.

Marv

A-List Customer
Here's an excerpt from the Cockpit USA website regarding their Mil-Spec G1..........

A timeless classic, the U.S. Navy Issue Mil Spec G-1 is crafted from 100% goatskin and manufactured to military specified patterns and is currently supplied by Cockpit to U.S. Navy and Coast Guard and special operation units as well as foreign countries which demand the original.

This is all the information I could find myself on the current USN supplier which led me to my observation that it may be Cockpit who now have the contract.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Huh, very interesting!

I recall that Cockpit used to use (as many makers do) kind of oblique language like "mil-spec" or "just like those issued to...", or would point out that they supply the A-2 and leave the rest to inference.

But sure enough that's what Cockpit is claiming. Well, as I said, not a bad jacket. Just wish the leather was as robust as it used to be. Pondering it, I would have said that the old Avirex G-1s were the best contemporary Naval jacket I ever saw, beating out G+B slightly just because of accuracy towards the pattern (squared pockets, rough sewn throat latch, smaller sized collar).

Thanks Marv!

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Funny, USWings claims they are the supplier to the US Coast Guard for G-1's.

Well, I think that's true.

When I was in, all naval aviators (including Coasties) were issued G-1s from flight gear issue in Pensacola. It was a very closely held item. All these G-1s were stamped "USN" regardless of the service that wore them.

From my understanding, somewhere since the 90s, the Coast Guard decided to open purchase their own version of the G-1 with hand warmer pockets and "USCG" stamped on the windflap. Since they don't come through the normal supply chain, they choose their own vendor. I believe US Wings is it.

It's an interesting choice. Open purchase is normally used to buy things you don't have. I understand that several services bought desert flight suits from G+B in the first Gulf War as there were not great stocks of them at the time. Other open purchase items can be things like Leatherman tools, Benchmade survival knives, or in my reserve squadron, Bose headsets.

The Coast Guard, being small, can afford to spend their money where they like a little more than the larger services, where sheer volume would require a large purchase through the supply chain.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I'd also add that, as the Coast Guard decided to purchase their version of the G-1 from an outside vendor, they are not hemmed in by any of that "lowest bidder" stuff. They really can buy in bulk but choose their own level of quality which means that the CG G-1 is probably a fair bit nicer than the old Pharrs, and maybe better than the current vendor depending on the vendor.

It'd be interesting to see a no kidding current issue Navy/Marine jacket and a Coast Guard G-1 side by side.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I'd also add that, as the Coast Guard decided to purchase their version of the G-1 from an outside vendor, they are not hemmed in by any of that "lowest bidder" stuff. They really can buy in bulk but choose their own level of quality which means that the CG G-1 is probably a fair bit nicer than the old Pharrs, and maybe better than the current vendor depending on the vendor.

It'd be interesting to see a no kidding current issue Navy/Marine jacket and a Coast Guard G-1 side by side.

There are multiple photos of the current CG G-1 here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner