Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1, USA Made, $175

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just found this USA Made G-1 for $175. It is a discontinued model, made by PHAAR, supposedly a supplier to the US Military. It is sold by San Diego Leather Co. on Amazon.

The reviews are positive. Can't go wrong for the price.

Discontinued USA Made G1 Jacket. Now is the time to get one at this incredible price while they last! Jacket was made by PHAAR, reputed to be a supplier of military jackets.
Biswing Back, Underarm Gussets, Knit Cuffs and Waist Band, Permanent Fur Collar, Patch Pockets (some come with open side entry), 1 inside Gun Pocket, Cowhide
EasyCare, most spots will wipe right off and jacket is long wearing and rain resistant.
We have sizes 38 thru 48 plus we have a few 48 longs. We suggest one size larger for a regular fit unless you are a small size.
Our guarantee is 90 days on the stitching and zippers. This is a trim fitting pattern and we suggest one size larger or two if you are looking for oversized.

dep126

Familiar Face
Thanks for posting. Looking at some of their other jackets on Amazon. Does anyone know if all their stuff is made in the USA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dep126

Familiar Face
^ disregard that last post, in looking further the jacket I found was different than what OP was talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hate to be a naysayer here Tex, but Pharr is the maker who made that rubbery shapeless mess that I was issued in 2004 after turning in my very nice 1990 issued G-1.

Between my Pharr and the $199 US Wings goat A-2 that I bought for my wife, I would have preferred the wings for leather quality though it does seem to be losing a little of its finish.

I hope that perhaps Pharr has upped their game a bit since then and it is a tough old bird no doubt, so probably just fine as a beater. But the quality of my Pharr was the main impetus for hunting for a decent repro back in the day.

Hope I'm wrong! :)

Deacon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
At least the price is right, and it can always be sent back. Good beater class jacket, if nothing else!

Deacon211

One Too Many
At least the price is right, and it can always be sent back. Good beater class jacket, if nothing else!

Absolutely. I shoved that jacket into every crevice of my airplane and wore it in the desert...it's a tough piece of hide!

Marv

A-List Customer
I've just ordered one so let's see how it looks when it arrives here in the UK........

Deacon211

One Too Many
I received a request to repost my Pharr pics here, so here they are. This one was issued to me in 2004 and was my primary wearer when I flew in the reserves, say five to seven days a month...too many mil guys in DC to be wearing it out in public.

I was flying pretty cushy planes by then, but this jacket was still crammed into baggage compartments, laid on the Tarmac with and otherwise generally treated as you might expect a flying jacket to be treated just for perspective's sake. Afterwards, I drug it around various greasy Cessnas in the winter months.

Leftmost with two G+Bs

Detail,

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
Thanks Deac, cool photos......quick question, does the jacket have the paper clip style zipper as I can't really tell from the pictures also any chance of a quick pic of the Contract Label if you have a chance.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yep, big brass zipper with the paper clip. Will take a close up tonight.

Yeah, it's a perfectly functional jacket, but compared to my first issue it never quite sat right. The goat is tough, but the coating is rubbery and the leather doesn't so much drape as hang listlessly and never got that nice broken in look that my first one did. The collar also never settled down and has always been lopsided rather than developing that nice open collar look that a better jacket has.

Still, it's the current state of the issue. But so is a '90s era jacket and if you can find one, I'd say it's a much nicer jacket and no less tough.

Whether you can find one in good shape for $175 is another matter. :)

Deacon211

One Too Many
Sorry, a little late on this and incorrect. Apparently, the zip is not the paperclip type. Also a pic of the label.

b6101f63e6c6fcc0abbaf8faaa35feaf.jpg
54ab48d933b48c6cf763f78d6157559a.jpg

Marv

A-List Customer
thanks for the photos Deac, another question for you......I noticed that the PHAAR is a size 48 L ?, what size do you usually wear.

the reason I ask is that I usually wear a 46 reg but was advised by the seller to go a size up to a 48 which I did as the fit is snug, would you say that is the case with your jacket.

I'm hoping this is the case and the jacket once arrived, will fit pretty much like a size 46 also I think I will change the puller from the chunky YYK for the Paper Clip style.

Not sure whether to just change the puller or replace the entire puller / slider depending on how easy this may be....

Deacon211

One Too Many
When I turned it in, the size 46 was just a bit too tight in the shoulders, though I feel the 48 was a bit too big. I generally wear a 46 in a blazer, bordering on a 48 and bordering on long sizes.

This is an Imperial IIRC size 46R that I picked up on the Bay. 19.5 across the shoulders and just a tad too snug as well.

But here's my ELC G-1 in 46, about as good a fit as I could ask for, but I've heard that the cut of this jacket tended to be broad across the shoulders and narrow at the waist so it's kind of cut for me even with a few extra pounds.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a 45" chest and usually wear a 46 Flight Jacket (Alpha, Greenbrier & ELC) have just picked up a couple of service issue G1s in a 48 & they fit me like a regular 46.

Marv

A-List Customer
well I have recieved the G1 and it's ok jacket for the price, workmanship is good but the leather is not so good as it smells like leather but looks and feels like a plastic pleather.

the label say genuine leather and the collar is mouton or so it says also, all contract labels, DSCP label have been removed and San Diego Leather (the seller of the jackets) have sewn in theirs where the contract labels should be to which I was a bit disappointed about.

there also is a feint shadow where the Velcro name patch was removed which can be seen in certain light but this hardly noticeable.

all in all, the jacket is a beater at best and would definitely not pay anymore for the jacket but then again I have probably been spoilt with the high end repro G1s that I already have.

i will try and post some photos over the weekend if I get the chance.....

bn1966

Looking forward to the Photos Paul! Thanks for the review & warning! Have been trying to avoid 'Orchard' G1's myself following insights from learned members on here.

bn1966

I really want a size 48 service issue G1 with shoulders 21"+..one can but hope and keep an eye on the 'Classifieds'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner