Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 recommendations?

dep126

Familiar Face
I’m looking to pick up another MA-1 as my current jacket no longer fits due to losing some weight. The one I have now is an Alpha Industries in sage green. I’m looking to stick with the same color. Aside from Alpha are there any other manufacturers in the same quality and price range? I know CockpitUSA has a made in the USA model but I’m not looking to spend that much. I’m leaning towards Alpha’s slim-fit MA-1 - anyone have any experience with this model?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want MiUSA, get a Valley Apparel one. If I'm not mistaken, they are the remnant of what was Alpha's US factory.

El Marro

Just looked at mine right after I posted that and I see on the label it is actually made in Mexico, oops!
I still stand by the statement that it is a better jacket than the Alpha. I owned one of the older made in USA Alphas, which I gave away upon receiving my Gibson and Barnes.

dep126

Familiar Face
Thanks El Marro, that’s what I was looking for, and in the same ballpark price as an Alpha. Any input on sizing. I’m generally an XL, 44” chest.

El Marro

I’m around 6’ 1” and around 205 pounds with a 45-46” chest. The XL regular length fits me nicely, not tight but not sloppy either.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Aside from Alpha are there any other manufacturers in the same quality and price range?

Pricing and availability will vary. You can do your own high and low searches of the internet, thrift stores, and local uniform sellers.

As a military issued item, the MA-1 has not been issued for decades. The MA-1 is still a popular item with civilian agencies, private corporations who issue uniforms, and the governments of other countries. Over the years, many companies have filled these non-U.S. Military orders. Some have been manufactured to equal or better standards. Some units were produced to a lesser standard. Then you throw in the thousands of jackets which more or less resemble the MA-1, which were sold on the civilian market as a fashion item. You mentioned one of them. The Alpha Slim Fit model. To the best of my knowledge, The U.S. Department of Defense did not issue any uniforms with a slim fit specification.

Over years of being in public safety, I had the privilege of being involved in a lot of different operations. For some of these teams, we were issued uniforms which were not the standard patrol uniform. I have been able to collect the MA-1, N2-B, and N3-B style jackets from different manufacturers. I lump them together because they are similar in shell and insulation.

I don't know what they did in Vietnam. I wasn't born yet. In my case, we wore the parka style over the shorter jacket style when it was really cold. For my applications, these jackets had to keep us warm and dry, as we were expected to engage people, apply force needed to overcome someone resisting arrest, and be able to withstand a wrestling match on concrete.

As for fit, to me, they all followed the same contract specification for sizing. All of my jackets in size XL fit the same. As for warmth, all of these jackets were warm. Or at least to my perception, I felt that they were warm. All of the jackets had some sort of polyester, satin like, nylon type shell. From wearing them "in the field", they were all water-resistant. Not waterproof. If it's raining, you don't go out in just the MA-1. You wear a raincoat or poncho over it. A few times I was caught in an unexpected rain, and all of the jackets were fine. None of them, to the best of my recollection, saturated and soaked through. They were good enough for me to wear until I got to a car, or into a building, or get from the parking lot to a building. I didn't stay out in heavy rain for hours. I didn't wear it in the shower to test it.

Some brands you may have heard of. Some you brands may not have heard of. In my collection are Alpha, Propper, Tru-Spec, Spiewak, and Rothco. From a user's perspective, I don't feel the difference. I put the jacket on, wear it, and it is fine. All of them are over a decade old. None of them have fallen apart. Maybe there are differences like quality of the zippers, or material used for the knit cuffs, and stitch count. There are undoubtedly differences between the shell material, if one manufacturer uses polyester, and another uses nylon. As far as I know, none of the jackets use Gore-Tex, or any kind of modern waterproofing technology. Maybe one company uses polyester fiber fill insulation, and another manufacturer uses some sort of modern technology for insulation. Clothing sold in The U.S.A. is supposed to be flame resistant so that you don't burn to death when you smoke a cigarette. But MA-1 was never labeled for FR protection.

The online website for the uniform supply company currently shows a jacket by Fox.

1687149679735.png

I haven't heard of Fox, or seen their jackets. But I can tell you that even the low price Rothco jackets worked for me when it came to practical use. And I can't say that any jacket costing 3 times as much, is 3 times better. And take into account that a uniform company's pricing is based on the millions of jackets that they will supply to tens of thousands of government contracts, all with negotiated volume pricing. That would be a different pricing matrix, than say a fashion brand who has to ask for a higher MSRP, so that all of the middle men retailers, wholesalers, and distributors can make a profit, after they work out the logistics of supply and returns.

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't know what they did in Vietnam. I wasn't born yet. In my case, we wore the parka style over the shorter jacket style when it was really cold. For my applications, these jackets had to keep us warm and dry, as we were expected to engage people, apply force needed to overcome someone resisting arrest, and be able to withstand a wrestling match on concrete.
In Vietnam it was mostly too warm for flight jackets. The exception was during the winter (rainy season) as it got cool at night in the central highlands. We would wear our lightweight N2–B flight jackets. The MA–1 would have been too warm, plus we didn't have them as they were only used in cold weather assignments.

dep126

Familiar Face
@Fifty150 I was also in law enforcement for a while and had a few MA-1s for SWAT and the like…..might be why I’ve kept wearing them? I think I’ve had Propper and Rothco - and I could tell the outer nylon shell was cheaper than the Alpha. I think i might give the Gibson Barnes one a try, looks like they have a m2m option.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I was also in law enforcement for a while and had a few MA-1s for SWAT and the like…..

Then you understand what I mean, when it comes to special assignments that are not done by the patrol bureau or investigative bureau. Patrol has to do just that. Patrol. They have patrol uniforms. MA-1 is not patrol issue in most departments. We have special duty assignments where alternative uniforms are used. At various times, we are assembled into temporary units for jobs like dignitary protection, anti-crime teams, ancillary protective services, et cetera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner