Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modified G-1: Patches vs No Patches vs Remove some Patches

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I currently own this modified Cockpit USA G-1 sans mouton collar with patches.
IMG_5663.jpeg

IMG_5664.jpeg

I am wondering if it’s worth buying the same jacket sans patches? $740 for a new jacket that is almost the same is steep. Sometimes I think my jacket would be better without the chest patch but am afraid of removing it and being left with stitch holes. But I would appreciate people’s thoughts!

IMG_5660.jpeg

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't see anything wrong with the chest patch. While I would never do it,* it's OK to wear unit patches from units you didn't serve in as long as you don't claim that you did.

The big no-no, in my opinion is to wear rank and awards, especially awards, one never earned.
____
* Mainly because I have my own patches from units in which I served.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I don't see anything wrong with the chest patch. While I would never do it,* it's OK to wear unit patches from units you didn't serve in as long as you don't claim that you did.

The big no-no, in my opinion is to wear rank and awards, especially awards, one never earned.
____
* Mainly because I have my own patches from units in which I served.
Agreed about the rank and awards! I would also add aviator wings to this list of no-nos.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, what are your thoughts between the two versions of the jacket? I kind of want to remove the chest patch for aesthetic purposes but am worried about leaving the stitching holes exposed.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the jacket a lot more without the patches. If I were you, I might try to sell the patched one and see if you find any takers. That way you don’t have duplicate jackets and you get a little money to put towards the new one.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’d get rid of the patches or sell as is towards one without patches. I wear almost all my jackets ‘sterile’ just a personal thing but I don’t want to be adorned with anything I wasn’t a part of, current or vintage. My almost is that I do have patched MA-1’s, but the patches relate to motorcycle stuff I’m part of.

Dbtk44

New in Town
If it were my jacket....unless I loved the unit patches, or had a particular sentimental attachment to them (friend or family was/is in the unit/sqn, etc), AND the jacket fit me how i wanted ....off the patches go. The stitching holes, I think it would give the jacket a certain distinct character, and definitely not in a bad way, at all.

Just my $.02

NICE jacket btw! Patched, or un-patched, looks great.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
So I finally decided to remove the chest patch since I was on the fence about it from early on. I left the shoulder patches on. I think I like the jacket better overall! There are stitch holes and impression from the patch though. Any ideas on how to make the residual impression go away?

Attachments

• IMG_6344.jpeg
    IMG_6344.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6342.jpeg
    IMG_6342.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6343.jpeg
    IMG_6343.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Dbtk44

New in Town
So I finally decided to remove the chest patch since I was on the fence about it from early on. I left the shoulder patches on. I think I like the jacket better overall! There are stitch holes and impression from the patch though. Any ideas on how to make the residual impression go away?
Looks Sharp! For whatever reason, to my eyes...it just looks better to me, without the patch on the chest. Maybe if it were a different patch, I'd feel otherwise...but, I personally think you made the right choice.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Looks Sharp! For whatever reason, to my eyes...it just looks better to me, without the patch on the chest. Maybe if it were a different patch, I'd feel otherwise...but, I personally think you made the right choice.
I agree, it just looks better and a bit dressier from the front. I think the patch was bigger than I would like it to be. I think the shoulder ones are cool and are a good size without being too flashy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner