Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velcro Recommendation for G-1

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
IMG_0785.jpeg
Looking for some input…I am looking to get this modified G-1. I plan to add velcro to the back of the patches and have my tailor sew velcro over the stitching holes so I can decide to wear or not wear the patches on any given day.

My question is what color velcro would look best for when I take off the patches? Black or some sort of dark brown?

thor

One Too Many
If you remove the patches, the stitch holes may be quite small and neat and you might opt not to add Velcro at all. Many original 1960’s and 70’s G-1 jackets had patches removed with stitch holes still visible on the leather.
Or you could find replacement patches of the same size & shape that are more personal to you.
Just a thought.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
If you remove the patches, the stitch holes may be quite small and neat and you might opt not to add Velcro at all. Many original 1960’s and 70’s G-1 jackets had patches removed with stitch holes still visible on the leather.
Or you could find replacement patches of the same size & shape that are more personal to you.
Just a thought.
That’s true. I like the patches, but there may be times I feel like wearing it plain. Don’t have enough funds to buy a separate jacket lol so trying to get creative.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I understand the idea but I don’t think it will look good. When you wear the jacket without the patches the Velcro is going to look tacky and odd, no matter what color it is.
I think a better idea would be to buy a G-1 with no patches at all If that is what you are after.
I definitely have gone back and forth in my head on the velcro. I do have a plain G-1 with the mouton collar I love wearing. I really like this non-mouton G-1 and the patches too. I just can’t afford to get this and a separate plain one but see myself wanting to sometimes swap them out for other patches or take them off.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I definitely have gone back and forth in my head on the velcro. I do have a plain G-1 with the mouton collar I love wearing. I really like this non-mouton G-1 and the patches too. I just can’t afford to get this and a separate plain one but see myself wanting to sometimes swap them out for other patches or take them off.
I hear you. The idea of being able to swap out the patches when you want actually sounds pretty cool.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Conceivably you could sell them and buy a Five Star G-1 with removable mouton, with money to spare. I mention this because the G-1 is one of the Five Stars that's patterned after originals.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
So the jacket just arrived! I think I would only consider removing the chest patch as the other two patches are smaller and I like their look.

However, I think the chest patch still looks nice. It is larger than I thought it would be (probably in the 4-4.5 inch range). I also could see myself wanting to wear it without or with a different one.

Based on the photos, any follow up thoughts on:

-Leave the jacket as is?
-Remove the patch knowing holes will show?
-Remove the patch and have velcro in the same size and shape stitched on to cover the holes and ability to swap chest patches out?

IMG_0962.jpeg
IMG_0958.jpeg
IMG_0961.jpeg
IMG_0959.jpeg
IMG_0960.jpeg

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
I would leave the original patch sewn on. Those patches are slightly “aged” and a new/different patch might stand out if it looked brand new and not suitably “aged” like the others.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I would leave the original patch sewn on. Those patches are slightly “aged” and a new/different patch might stand out if it looked brand new and not suitably “aged” like the others.
Thanks Thor! Yes, it looks like Cockpit added an aging effect. I put up another newer one and it does standout indeed compared to the others.

Do you think it would look better with the chest patch removed completely? My only hesitation is the stitching holes. Otherwise I still think it’s a nice looking modified G-1 with the patch on.

thor

One Too Many
IMG_8819.jpeg
Your jacket looks fine with the patches as they are; if you want basically the same jacket but with no patches, look for the jacket CockpitUSA made for Bills Khakis. It has the same washed goatskin leather but with snap-off fur collar and hidden hand warmer pockets behind the front patch pockets.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Alright…need to be talked off the ledge here. Someone on ebay posted the same jacket but the version without the patches. I am feeling tempted to get it but I already have the patched version, Cockpit non-patched G-1, the Cockpit 100 mission G-1, and a Cockpit non-patched USAF 21st Century A-2.

Attachments

• IMG_4476.jpeg
    IMG_4476.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 43

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
your patched one looks cool, if the patch is just something the manufacturer put on and won't get you trouble wearing it, I think I prefer the patched version based on look alone, I think velcro would make it look tacky, I've yet to see velcro+leather that looks good together outside of perf leather racing jacket look.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
So I finally decided to remove the chest patch since I was on the fence about it from early on. I left the shoulder patches on. I think I like the jacket better overall! There are stitch holes and impression from the patch though. Any ideas on how to make the residual impression go away?

Attachments

• IMG_6344.jpeg
    IMG_6344.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6342.jpeg
    IMG_6342.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6343.jpeg
    IMG_6343.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

Forum statistics

Threads