Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1's for uniform wear

apba1166

A-List Customer
I also have an Excelled with sloppy and asymmetrical stitching--light horse--but I do find it a comfortable jacket that zips and wears well and my jackets get so beat the stitching is the least of my problems....but you are right the construction seems "cheap" if you think about it too much. I like some of the older Avirex goats, they fit and wear well, made tough. Also, another inexpensive variety I think looks and wears great is, crazily, a Leather Shop (Sears) version from way back. I like the Gibson and Barns jackets too--don't own one, but have seen many and they never look anything but good.

sfdistance

New in Town
Navin323i said:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for serving our country. :)

I too have a young infant (4 months) and you're absolutely right... parenthood is definitely a wonderful thing. I used to live in Colorado as well (Englewood)... where do/did you live in Colorado?

While we're on this topic of G-1's, I have a question and please forgive my ignorance on this subject... I've heard members here mention G-1, A-2, etc. So G-1 is a style of leather jacket issued to all sectors of the U.S. military (army, navy, air force and marines)? What about A-2?

Its a priveledge to serve this country and I greatly appreciate the support from all those who have expressed it. Parenthood certainly is amazing. It feels like these first few months have gone by so fast that before I know it my son will be all grown up. Most of the time I still feel like a kid myself. My father was career Army so we moved all over the place, sort of like I'm doing now. I call Colorado home because its the place we lived when my dad decided to get out. I went to high school in Colorado Springs. When I left after high school I really wanted to get away from home and live my own life, but I can honestly say I never thought I'd miss home as much as I do. Colorado is a great place to live...I guess thats why I claim it as my home now.

And back to G-1s. Does anyone know when the curved pocket flaps left the G-1. It seems like some of the companies that make a "modern" G-1 (G&B, US Authentic, etc) still use the curved pocket flap design when the actual issue jackets have straight cut pocket flaps. Just one reason I'm curious about whether G&B would do custom work or not. I know Shaul Dover does but he also charges a lot for it.

sfdistance

New in Town
Maybe there's something wrong with me

apba1166 said:
I also have an Excelled with sloppy and asymmetrical stitching--light horse--but I do find it a comfortable jacket that zips and wears well and my jackets get so beat the stitching is the least of my problems....but you are right the construction seems "cheap" if you think about it too much. I like some of the older Avirex goats, they fit and wear well, made tough. Also, another inexpensive variety I think looks and wears great is, crazily, a Leather Shop (Sears) version from way back. I like the Gibson and Barns jackets too--don't own one, but have seen many and they never look anything but good.

I would have to say its the sloppy stitching more than anything else that really just irritates me about my Excelled jacket. Second to that is the fake collar. Something in my personality just doesn't agree well with things like that. I don't need a lot of things, but I like the things I do have to be well made. I'm really pretty eccentric about this. One example is pens and pencils. While most people are happy to use cheap plastic pens and pencils and constantly lose them and replace them, I have to have a nice pen and pencil on me at work. For the past four or five years I've carried the same ones every day in my uniform pocket (a cross pen and a pentel retractable tip pencil made in Japan). In the end I probably save money by taking care of the things I like instead of just buying more cheaply made stuff. Thats just one example of my little eccentricities, I'm the same way with my watches, wallets, knives, boots, etc. I would guess that there are others on a forum like this that can relate. Enough about me though. I'm bored sitting awake all night on duty tonight so that explains my two long posts...

Corky

Practically Family
The thing to do would be to call G & B and ask...

And back to G-1s. Does anyone know when the curved pocket flaps left the G-1. It seems like some of the companies that make a "modern" G-1 (G&B, US Authentic, etc) still use the curved pocket flap design when the actual issue jackets have straight cut pocket flaps. Just one reason I'm curious about whether G&B would do custom work or not. I know Shaul Dover does but he also charges a lot for it.

The thing to do would be to call G & B and ask them if they will make up one to your specs.

Considering that they make them fom scratch right there in the same building as the showroom, it does not seem like too much of a request. But I repeat my suggestion: stop by and try on a few first. (My leather flight jackets are usually two sizes off from my suit or sport coat size.)

chamboid

One of the Regulars
the curved/scalloped pocket design left the g-1 around the late sixties early 70's, with the earlier M-442 to 55j14 scalloped pockets either giving way to pointer triangle pockets (A. Pritzker 55j14) but also depending on the makers own specifications, or issue number. I've always preferred the scalloped pockets, ads a bit more style

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
the curved/scalloped pocket design left the g-1 around the late sixties early 70's, with the earlier M-442 to 55j14 scalloped pockets either giving way to pointer triangle pockets (A. Pritzker 55j14) but also depending on the makers own specifications, or issue number. I've always preferred the scalloped pockets, ads a bit more style
Scalloped pocket flaps left the G-1 much earlier than the late sixties. The MIL-J-7823(AER) was first introduced in the late 1950's and was the first with the "modern" flaps.

AF

alangloi

New in Town
Has anyone recently asked G & B if they could modify their G-1 pocket flaps from the orginal style to the current style?

ajl from Jacksonville, Florida (currently 96 warm degrees in the shade)

ltedge

New in Town
I've been a Naval Flight Officer for the past 13 years and my origional issue G-1 has nearly as many hours in the airplane as I do, approching 2000. While it's not the softest or best looking leather or real fur collar, I will say that it has withstood tons of abuse in and around airplanes and besides some cuff fraying and stitching holes from multiple squadron patches being sewn on, it's still in great shape and looks good although well used. I bought an aftermarket G-1 for my dad about 7 years ago and it hasn't stood up as well as mine, probably because the leather is much softer. If I was wearing my jacket for everyday civilian wear I would have an aftermarket like G&B, but for use in the airplane and in uniform when I need something that I know will be abused, I'll always wear my original issue until it falls apart...and then I'll turn it in to supply and get a new one issued.

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
I have a M422 that was made by Eastman Leather Co. I have had it now for 11 years and it is very comfortable....as long as my weight doesn't change. It fits "snuggly" but it is of the highest quality. Goes nicely with my ELC Roughwear 1401 A2, another great jacket.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
While it's not the softest or best looking leather or real fur collar, I will say that it has withstood tons of abuse in and around airplanes and besides some cuff fraying and stitching holes from multiple squadron patches being sewn on, it's still in great shape and looks good although well used. ........ If I was wearing my jacket for everyday civilian wear I would have an aftermarket like G&B, but for use in the airplane and in uniform when I need something that I know will be abused, I'll always wear my original issue until it falls apart...and then I'll turn it in to supply and get a new one issued.

Couldn't agree with you more. My current issue has held up very well over the last eight years and a couple thousand hours in the aircraft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran