Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G1 or A2

kojax

Practically Family
i have both a-2 goatskin and the g-1 goatskin. sold the g-1 goatskin the jacket was to heavy for me.. getting a g-1 lambskin it will be lighter for me. i think the g-1 jacket is cool looking****

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
A-2 has a better shape to me and the horse is better than goat. I like the Mouton but not as a permanent collar. I also think the G-1 is cut weird too, of course that might just be my body shape but it seems long. I've had a A-2's by Aero and 2 G-1's from Lost Worlds.

kojax

Practically Family
g-1 jacket

i should i have my new gibson-barnes g-1 jacket this week......company never has any jackets in stock. i guess my size 36 is weird lol

kojax

Practically Family
i got the civil g-1 gibson barnes makes it has the side hand warmers pockets.......i loved the goatskin g-1 from gibson barnes but like i said it was to heavy for me. so now i am trying the lambskin.....the company is very good if you do not like it send it back ...

Peacoat

Bartender
Please let us see pics of the lamb when you get it.

G-1 vs. A-2? I prefer the G-1 because it is cut fuller, and I can layer a vest or sweater under it when I ride the motorcycle in cooler weather. May be cut a little too full for the vintage look, but it isn't tight across my shoulders and chest like the closely fitted jackets.

omar

New in Town
g-1 -a-2

Leather collar g-1, all the the style of the g-1 without the cop like look of the fur collar; and not those crummy Avirex so- called G-2's with the funky pockets.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Peacoat said:
G-1 vs. A-2? I prefer the G-1 because it is cut fuller, and I can layer a vest or sweater under it when I ride the motorcycle in cooler weather. May be cut a little too full for the vintage look, but it isn't tight across my shoulders and chest like the closely fitted jackets.
You must be in good shape, because the typical G-1 doesn't feel very full-cut if you aren't. Most are decidedly v-shaped - free moving thru the shoulders and chest, but cut lean in the waist.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Well I prefer the ANJ-3

which IMHO combines the best of the A-2 and G-1 . . .

Bi swing back

Underarm gussets

Full length storm flap

Eps

No mouton

Gibson and Barnes makes a killer one!:p

CBI

One Too Many
we are lucky that most if not all of us can have both, that said, I think the G-1 is a better more functional jacket but for looks, the A-2 wins hands down. Also, I love painted jacket art and the A-2 was the painted jacket of WWII.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I like horse over goat; if you ask me why, I'll stammer, then mutter, and finally say it just feels better.
But the design of the G-1 is fabulous.

Satori

New in Town
I've had both (originals) but I'm now down to to repro A-2s so I guess that answers the question.

If you want the best of both worlds then the AN-J3 is the jacket. I had an original which I part exchange with Aero a few years back; I'm not too sure what happened to it as it didn't seem to appear on their sales page, although they have (or had) two almost identical jackets for sale in smaller sizes (Mine was a 42).

I believe Aero will make an AN-J3 (same pattern as mine) on request. Bi-swing, gussets, G-1 type pockets, A-2 type wind flap, Epps but no map pocket.

The one G-1 I really regret selling was a mint 40 with a 'boxing wasp' patch...gorgeous....that being said it wouldn't fit me now:D

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Fly Navy

Most definitely the G-1! It is still very functional in and out of modern cockpits. I look at it and see the history of the Navy. Every Navy pilot since WWII has worn one, unlike the Air Force pilots and the A-2. Out of all of the movies that have Navy pilots in them, The Bridges at Toko Ri makes the jacket look the best. William Holden brought out the true look of the jacket. Not to down play the A-2, it is also a great jacket, but I would choose a G-1 every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy