Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gable vs. Bogart

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
Bogie. His screen persona comes across as tough, street-smart, down-to-earth, and cool. And the way he wore a Fedora . . . :arated:

Nothing wrong with the way Gable wore his fedora either! Let's be fair here! :)

3169738.jpg

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Nothing wrong with the way Gable wore his fedora either! Let's be fair here! :)

3169738.jpg

Right on Hadley! Gable was great at wearing fedoras (not so much at undershirts). I think we forget that because his biggest films were period (or set in a non-city local) where he wasn't in modern dress (GTTW, Mutiny on the Bounty, Red Dust.) Whenever he played a reporter (It Happened One Night) or editor, he looked sharp in a fedora and patch pocket coats.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was going to choose Gable because I just don't get the Bogart thing, but in the book "The Fixers: Eddie Mannix, Howard Strickling and the MGM Publicity Machine" by E. J. Fleming, Gable is portrayed as a crybaby. His biographer Lynn Tornabene echos this sentiment in "Long Live The King: A Biography of Clark Gable [UNABRIDGED]".

2659022646_84906dc5d9.jpg
Look at this he needs someone to wipe his tears away.

I think I will abstain on this one. I am so confused
confused.gif

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Forgive me if I'm being a kill-joy, but I find it hard to compare the two. Bogie was mostly Mr. Film Noir (except for films like Sabrina and later ones like African Queen, etc.) and he did what he did exceptionally well. Gable was more of a romance, western, etc. guy, and did what he did exceptionally well. However, I can't imagine Bogie as Rhett Butler or many of Gable's characters, nor Gable as Bogie's characters.

They were both manly, tough men, but in different ways. They both made women swoon and made men want to BE them.

Carlisle Blues

SweetieStarr said:
They were both manly, tough men, but in different ways. They both made women swoon and made men want to BE them.

I do not want to BE either one of them. I am living and breathing they are not.

Robert Mitchum was clearly more manly and much tougher then either one of them. For that matter Don Knotts had them both beat in that department as well.
icon14.gif

Clark Gable - Captain, US Army Air Corps. Although beyond draft age, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the Air Corps on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles. He attended Officers' Candidate School at Miami Beach and graduated as a second lieutenant. He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943, on personal orders from Gen. Arnold, went to England to make a motion picture of aerial gunners in action. He was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook and although neither ordered nor expected to do so, flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s to obtain the combat film footage he believed was required for producing the movie entitled "Combat America." Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over age for combat. [Source: US Air Force museum]

Carlisle Blues

Robert Mitchum: was picked up for vagrancy and sent to join a chain gang in the Savannah swamplands, then certainly during the Depression era when he lived the hobo life, riding the rails across country from coast to coast with the aristocracy of the road.

Mitchum worked the punch-press at a Toledo factory in 1936 and he'd toked when shaping steel for Lockheed. Tough guy..:eusa_clap http://www.ukcia.org/potculture/49/mitchum.html

Don Knotts: Veteran of the Second World War who was awarded the World War II Victory Medal, Philippine Liberation Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (with 4 bronze service stars), Army Good Conduct Medal, Marksman Badge (with Carbine Bar) and Honorable Service Lapel Pin.

Served in the Army of the United States, under the service number 35 756 363, from June 21, 1943 to January 6, 1946. Discharged in the rank of Technician Grade 5, which was the equivalent of a Corporal. Toughest of em all...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Robert Mitchum: was picked up for vagrancy and sent to join a chain gang in the Savannah swamplands, then certainly during the Depression era when he lived the hobo life, riding the rails across country from coast to coast with the aristocracy of the road.

Mitchum worked the punch-press at a Toledo factory in 1936 and he'd toked when shaping steel for Lockheed. Tough guy..:eusa_clap http://www.ukcia.org/potculture/49/mitchum.html

Yeah, and he supposedly wrote his own discharge papers while in the Army...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Clark Gable - Captain, US Army Air Corps. Although beyond draft age, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the Air Corps on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles. He attended Officers' Candidate School at Miami Beach and graduated as a second lieutenant. He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943, on personal orders from Gen. Arnold, went to England to make a motion picture of aerial gunners in action. He was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook and although neither ordered nor expected to do so, flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s to obtain the combat film footage he believed was required for producing the movie entitled "Combat America." Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over age for combat. [Source: US Air Force museum]

I have always admired Gable for the above. Now, as far as Bogart is concerned, he served in WWI with the USN, although most of his service was after the Armistice.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Don Knotts: Veteran of the Second World War who was awarded the World War II Victory Medal, Philippine Liberation Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (with 4 bronze service stars), Army Good Conduct Medal, Marksman Badge (with Carbine Bar) and Honorable Service Lapel Pin.

Served in the Army of the United States, under the service number 35 756 363, from June 21, 1943 to January 6, 1946. Discharged in the rank of Technician Grade 5, which was the equivalent of a Corporal. Toughest of em all...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Well, according to sources including Snopes, IMDb, Movies.MSN.com, Wikipedia, Biography.com, and Answers.com, Knotts did serve in the Pacific, but with the Army's Special Services Branch, entertaining troops; he saw no combat. Neither was he a Marine Corps. Drill Instructor, as has been spread on the Internet.

Carlisle Blues

Widebrim said:
Well, according to sources including Snopes, IMDb, Movies.MSN.com, Wikipedia, Biography.com, and Answers.com, Knotts did serve in the Pacific, but with the Army's Special Services Branch, entertaining troops; he saw no combat. Neither was he a Marine Corps. Drill Instructor, as has been spread on the Internet.

I realize that but he was not some Hollywood "name" that was catapulted into the lime light. I'll take the regular guy any day over a manufactured tough guy.

We all have a purpose, I just have a difficult celebrating the imagery. [huh]

Just my 2 cts. ;) ;)

WH1

Practically Family
Gotta go with Bogart over Gable. If only for the fact that Sinatra, Garland, Niven, Romanoff, Noel Coward and Dino all chose to hang with him. Plus Gable always struck me as a cardboard cutout. But greatly prefer Grant to either.

:eek:fftopic: And if we are discussing war time service Jimmy Stewart, Charles Durning(Silver Star, 3 purple hearts), Lee Marvin(Marine, wounded severely on Saipan) and Edward (Green Acres) Albert(Bronze Star on Tarawa, esteemed by the Marine Corps), and last but not least Henry Fonda (Navy, Bronze Star) all stand far above most.

WH1

Practically Family
Gotta go with Bogart over Gable. If only for the fact that Sinatra, Garland, Niven, Romanoff, Noel Coward and Dino all chose to hang with him. Plus Gable always struck me as a cardboard cutout. But greatly prefer Grant to either.

:eek:fftopic: And if we are discussing war time service Jimmy Stewart(2 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 4 Air Medals and the Croix De Guerre), Charles Durning(Silver Star, 3 purple hearts), Lee Marvin(Marine, wounded severely on Saipan) and Edward (Green Acres) Albert(Bronze Star on Tarawa, esteemed by the Marine Corps), and last but not least Henry Fonda (Navy, Bronze Star) all stand far above most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy