Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gable vs. Bogart

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
In the 30s and 40s, these two were arguably Hollywood's biggest male stars. Both are legends in their own right, for different reasons. Who do YOU prefer?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
worthlesswithoutpics

I thiiiiink I prefer Bogart but I'm going to need to see pics of the gentlemen in question.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
I may stir up a hornets' nest on this one but I think history has sort of judged Bogart to be the better actor and Gable to be the grander personality. He was certainly the bigger star at the time. If i had to choose, I think i would have to go with Bogart. The Warner Brothers films staring Bogart are some of the best that studio ever made, at least IMHO.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Bogart was more of a star in the 1940s and '50s -- he worked plenty in the '30s, but didn't begin to reach stardom until the very end of that decade -- while Gable's heyday was the 1930s and '40s.

Cagney and Gable had more comparable careers, time-wise.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I honestly couldn't say which one I like better. I've seen both of them act. But if I had to choose, I think I'd say Gable. I haven't seen enough of Bogie to really make an opinion on him yet.

Geesie

Practically Family
docneg said:
Bogart. Although I think I would have rather BEEN Gable.

I'd agree if Carole Lombard hadn't died. This might be an unpopular opinion but I'd rather have been married to her than Lauren Bacall.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Geesie said:
I'd agree if Carole Lombard hadn't died. This might be an unpopular opinion but I'd rather have been married to her than Lauren Bacall.

Yeah, but Lombard had quite a mouth on her...Both were giants, but I'd say Bogart; I was literally reared on his movies, including those made in the '30s before he became a superstar. Personality-wise, I've read that Gable was more of a "gentleman," and that Bogart was famous for needling people who rubbed him the wrong way.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Geesie said:

Carole Lombard certainly seemed like she was more easy going than Lauren Bacall. Bogie and Bacall were perfect together, though. Couldn't picture them with anyone else. And I'll bet Bogie wouldn't have cheated on Bacall with Lana Turner, as Gable was alleged to have done, which supposedly spurred Lombard to take that fateful plane trip in 1942, in order to get home sooner when she got wind of that little affair.

Back to the original question in the thread: I never saw the appeal of Gable - in looks or acting ability - so I'm a Bogie fan all the way.

Cricket

Practically Family
This one is really hard for me because I love them both. I loved Gable as Rhett, no one better could have played that character in my opinion but when I look over their acting careers as a whole and not just on one particular performance, I am going with Bogart.

Bogart was great in his roles, and his overall presence on the screen seems to grab me and never let me go through the entire film.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BinkieBaumont said:
I always think its Ironic that Cary Grant started out in the slums of Bristol England and went on to play lots of "upper Crust" gents in Hollywood movies, whilst I understand that Humphry Bogart came from an American "Blue Blood" family but played down at heal "Loners"
I never thought of that angle, Binkie. Kudos!

BTW, Grant was a bigger star than either Gable or Bogart. And because he was the industry's first free agent, he was richer than both combined.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Cigarband said:
Clark Gable was acknowledged to be THE Male Star of the 30s, 40s, and 50s,
Acknowledged by whom?!? Gable was wooden; Grant could do it all.

Chas

One Too Many
Gable over Bogart for comedic roles, for sure. "It Happened One Night" is an undoubted classic. Bogart has quite a bit more 'edge' and depth, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner