Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the Bolivian , Cholitas , " Borsalino"

milandro

A-List Customer
Time and time again I see these hats, there is also one or two " en passant" mentions in a thread here but the history isn't corroborated by enough material to be separated from the legend.

These hats are stamped Borsalino Calidad superior and they say that once upon a time they were really made by Borsalino (someone mentions Beaver which , even for Borsalino, is rare) although the price of a Borsalino was never so low that many people would have been able to afford one in Bolivia.

So , anyone has a " real " documented , historic account on how this sort of bowler hat came to be used in Bolivia and ig Borsalino ever had anything to do with hats worn by not very affluent people there?

this one is both named Borsalino AND Barcelona

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 10.21.40.png
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 10.22.03.png

Time and time again I see these hats, there is also one or two " en passant" mentions in a thread here but the history isn't corroborated by enough material to be separated from the legend.

These hats are stamped Borsalino Calidad superior and they say that once upon a time they were really made by Borsalino (someone mentions Beaver which , even for Borsalino, is rare) although the price of a Borsalino was never so low that many people would have been able to afford one in Bolivia.

So , anyone has a " real " documented , historic account on how this sort of bowler hat came to be used in Bolivia and ig Borsalino ever had anything to do with hats worn by not very affluent people there?

this one is both named Borsalino AND Barcelona

View attachment 603673 View attachment 603674
Some were indeed made by Borsalino. According to Guido Barberis, the authority on all things Borsalino, the connection to South America dates back to the late 19th century. He writes:
"The international vocation is largely due to the work of Giuseppe Ronza, who entered the company in 1878 with an initially administrative role, after having graduated as an accountant. After a short time, Borsalino diverted him to the commercial sector, where his attention turned decidedly towards abroad. Initially the company focuses on the markets of Central Eastern Europe and Spain, then on those of Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Uruguay, where it can also count on the presence of important Italian communities."
The expansion of the brand on foreign markets was also possible because they catered to the specific demand of each country, be that fezzes, bowlers or cholas. In a later period the production of Borsalinos was licensed to a local producer to avoid paying heavy import tariffs. The locally produced hats could not compete with the original product, but still carried the Borsalino name.

milandro

A-List Customer
Thanks, the ones I see are generally made rather poorly. Some claim the felt to be of Alpaca wool, but I have my sincere doubts. The cholas are also of incredibly small sizes because they are meant to be worn tilted on top of the head , so, frankly, aside their novelty value, I wouldn't know why anyone would want one , unless one is a dedicated collector.

Thanks, the ones I see are generally made rather poorly. Some claim the felt to be of Alpaca wool, but I have my sincere doubts. The cholas are also of incredibly small sizes because they are meant to be worn tilted on top of the head , so, frankly, aside their novelty value, I wouldn't know why anyone would want one , unless one is a dedicated collector.
True, but the novelty factor isn't enough for me to get one. As far as I understand it married women wear it straight on their heads and unmarried women wear it at an angle. Easier to spot than a wedding ring ;)

milandro

A-List Customer
frankly speaking , all the hats I have fit me and can be used , although, admittedly, I don't use the bowler or the boater much. I can't consider myself a " collector" but an extended " user". I understand that some collectors of clothing and accessories would necessarily buy and keep things that they don't fit .

About tilting. I mistakenly thought was an affectation, but the signalling of the marital status seems logical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner