Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimative Denim Trouser Thread?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I really like the look of a lot of Pike bros stuff. My trepidation is getting something that doesn’t fit and eating a huge return shipping cost.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I just want to support Kubatus suggestion. I think N&F Strong Guy is an excellent alternative to look at when on the hunt for a pitch black jeans. I have worn N&F for a while some years ago and remember that I was very pleased. Haven't considered them for too long now.

I ordered the last pair of black strong guys in my size. Turns out they mislabeled some weird guys and now I’m back to square one again. FML.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I've always liked the cut of those USN jean deals, but the front pockets wouldn't work for me. I know there are plenty of relaxed fit jeans out there, but pockets...deep pockets in the front and rear pockets designed like the original Patagonia Stand-Up pants. I really like those Patagonia pockets. They're the only ones doing it as far as I know.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve been meaning to ask, how come the leg of my Levi’s Japan is so rotated that the outer seam is now facing forward or even inside?? :) washing/disproportionate shrinkage would not do this, other parts didn’t rotate.

Attachments

• 76E35C42-1F90-4E52-938E-541C17CFCB3E.jpeg
    76E35C42-1F90-4E52-938E-541C17CFCB3E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 859
  • A2696CEF-C1BB-4D09-A3F1-DE0F237B72E2.jpeg
    A2696CEF-C1BB-4D09-A3F1-DE0F237B72E2.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 877

Sonero

Practically Family
Agreed. They gave me a $20 credit for the hassle, so I will try them again in the future.

Where do you see the $20 credit in your Gustin account ? They just refunded me for a pair of jeans that won't be made and they gave me a $40 credit to use in store but I don't see it on my account anywhere .

Thanks

Pandemic

One Too Many
Where do you see the $20 credit in your Gustin account ? They just refunded me for a pair of jeans that won't be made and they gave me a $40 credit to use in store but I don't see it on my account anywhere .

Thanks

I’m on mobile, but I went to account and then settings. Scroll down a little and there is a display for store credit. Hope that helps!

Edward

Bartender
NEW from Pike Brothers :
1940 USN Jeans
https://pikebrothers-shop.com/ItemView.action?number=P0101-21-0003
Not for me but unique nonetheless.
View attachment 334488

Interesting option. I bought a repro pair of USNs really cheap on eBay years ago, but the auction photos weren't accurate. Made 'em look straight-legged; when they arrived, they were serious bell bottoms. Yuk.

The first pair of jeans SJC ever did way back in the early days was a straight-legged take on these, but they didn't sell big - a lot of folks just didn't 'get' those front pockets.

SJC's latest denim run are these:

https://simonjamescathcart.com/products/denim-battle-dress-trousers

Inspired by military battle dress but civilianised (part of a collection which includes a denim version of the WW2 era austerity pattern denim battle dress). I really like the look of these. I'd love to see them in black, too.

Mostly, the jeans I wear are cheap options (Wrangler 13MWZ, Soldier of Fortune "USN" jeans - which are rally those German Luctec(?) ones, I believe). Couple of pairs of SJC in interesting stuff. I'd like to get more wabash and black denim, some interesting stuff there, though harder to find affordable. Don't like to sink too big money into jeans as I don't tend to wear them so often as other styles. THey've been a bit of a default in lockdown, but in normal times I prefer something else for the office / going out. I'm not a "dress jeans" guy.

Cocker

Practically Family
Interesting option. I bought a repro pair of USNs really cheap on eBay years ago, but the auction photos weren't accurate. Made 'em look straight-legged; when they arrived, they were serious bell bottoms. Yuk.

The first pair of jeans SJC ever did way back in the early days was a straight-legged take on these, but they didn't sell big - a lot of folks just didn't 'get' those front pockets.

Inspired by military battle dress but civilianised (part of a collection which includes a denim version of the WW2 era austerity pattern denim battle dress). I really like the look of these. I'd love to see them in black, too.

Mostly, the jeans I wear are cheap options (Wrangler 13MWZ, Soldier of Fortune "USN" jeans - which are rally those German Luctec(?) ones, I believe). Couple of pairs of SJC in interesting stuff. I'd like to get more wabash and black denim, some interesting stuff there, though harder to find affordable. Don't like to sink too big money into jeans as I don't tend to wear them so often as other styles. THey've been a bit of a default in lockdown, but in normal times I prefer something else for the office / going out. I'm not a "dress jeans" guy.

I received my pair of SJC's BD Trousers last week, and I'm in love with them! Will try to snag a couple pics next week as I'll be off a couple days!

Pandemic

One Too Many
55E3A944-C5AF-4A02-8730-7729039F4D01.jpeg

I sized-up to 33 because I understood whipcord has less stretch than denim. Still too tight!

Gustin are now officially sh*t. This is my second order to arrive late and out of spec. They are having a lot of issues with the factory they contract with in San Francisco.

The Gustin folks are good people and always decent on refunds and offering a credit for the inconvenience, but I’m done with them now. I’ll order an ocbd or workshirt with the inconvenience credit I’ve built up but I already have two pairs of jeans in the queue with Ciano Farmer. I like the custom fit he has created for me and his stuff is always within spec, even if the fabric range isn’t as wide.

Attachments

• 38DD1C6B-8AAB-4CF4-8340-DE8E75DC50C4.jpeg
    38DD1C6B-8AAB-4CF4-8340-DE8E75DC50C4.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 707

born113

One of the Regulars
I managed to see a lot of things here but did not find what I was looking for.
What kind of men's heavyweight & stretch jeans do you know?
* The heavier the better, but always stretching.

Aloysius

Heavyweight stretch denim sounds like the worst of both worlds.

In any case, the heaviest stretch denim I can think of would be the 12oz (normal weight for regular denim, but heavy for stretch) stretch denim Railcar offers in some of their women's jeans. You could ask them to make you a pair of jeans in it?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
https://www.ironheartamerica.com/bottoms/ih-777-SST.html
iron heart has 2 cuts in 21 oz stretch.
Less stretchy than lighter weights but still noticeable give.
In the 12oz category Naked and famous has several cuts for men.

Blackadder

I've always liked the cut of those USN jean deals, but the front pockets wouldn't work for me. I know there are plenty of relaxed fit jeans out there, but pockets...deep pockets in the front and rear pockets designed like the original Patagonia Stand-Up pants. I really like those Patagonia pockets. They're the only ones doing it as far as I know.
Here is an early version of the USN denim pants

There is an earlier version of the USN denim pants. There are some Japanese repros of those. Here is one by Chinese maker on Taobao. It is more a denim chinos. I have always liked the early SJC denim chinos. These are obviously cheaper.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...-4280230455.81.4211615ftnsHJm&id=616883055000
I bought a pair denim chinos from Lee Japan. They are on sale but unfortunately these are in Japanese S/M/L sizes which means they fit up to may be 36' actual waist.
https://edwin-mall.jp/shop/g/gLM9683-300-02

Sonero

Practically Family
I am wearing a pair of LEE 101 Riders Made in Italy. Slim Fit. They seem to have the right balance of cotton and stretch. To be honest some of the Japanese brands can be abusive in 100% cotton. I admit I am losing patience trying to break in a pair of Samurai or Bravestar 21 oz jeans. The IH 25oz DO get soft though.
The problem with stretch jeans is they never hold their shape for the life of the garment. Sizing can get crazy in that sense.

born113

One of the Regulars
I am wearing a pair of LEE 101 Riders Made in Italy. Slim Fit. They seem to have the right balance of cotton and stretch. To be honest some of the Japanese brands can be abusive in 100% cotton. I admit I am losing patience trying to break in a pair of Samurai or Bravestar 21 oz jeans. The IH 25oz DO get soft though.
The problem with stretch jeans is they never hold their shape for the life of the garment. Sizing can get crazy in that sense.
The long time of breaking heavy denim 21-25oz jeans suits me. I am not satisfied with their shape as it is required to wear 2-3 sizes up. I have worn Hugo Boss jeans for many years. They were great in every way. But now Boss has begun to produce sheer junk. I guess the perfect pairing is denim 17oz and stretch. But I can't find something like this yet.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Don't like to sink too big money into jeans as I don't tend to wear them so often as other styles. THey've been a bit of a default in lockdown, but in normal times I prefer something else for the office / going out. I'm not a "dress jeans" guy.
Jeans and denim are not to my taste, each totheir own, but I am rather drawn to a pair of pin-stripe jeans. They are most unusual, I can't see them appealing to most lovers of jeans, but I rather like them.

denim pinstripe.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB