Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimative Denim Trouser Thread?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jeans and denim are not to my taste, each totheir own, but I am rather drawn to a pair of pin-stripe jeans. They are most unusual, I can't see them appealing to most lovers of jeans, but I rather like them.

I'm not sure I agree. It's true that these likely don't appeal to the majority of jeans-wearers (which is the majority of the western public), but among enthusiasts, wabash stripe denim is a staple of the best repro brands, like RRL or Burgus Plus (Hinoya) or Sugar Cane.

The Burgus Plus pair seems to be just what you're looking for.

Sonero

Practically Family
Jeans and denim are not to my taste, each totheir own, but I am rather drawn to a pair of pin-stripe jeans. They are most unusual, I can't see them appealing to most lovers of jeans, but I rather like them.

View attachment 394148

Pike Brothers and Left Field would have some nice pants for you if you like this style. I think it looks great on the right person.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure I agree. It's true that these likely don't appeal to the majority of jeans-wearers (which is the majority of the western public), but among enthusiasts, wabash stripe denim is a staple of the best repro brands, like RRL or Burgus Plus (Hinoya) or Sugar Cane.

The Burgus Plus pair seems to be just what you're looking for.
Pike Brothers and Left Field would have some nice pants for you if you like this style. I think it looks great on the right person.
Thank you both for your endorsement, you have both given me food for thought.

Edward

Bartender

View attachment 394148

Yeah, these look great, really robust working-trousers. I like that the cut is a more traditional trouser rather than the five-pocket jean cut. I'm working on shifting a few stone over the next few months (the diet is hell, but I've lost half a stone since New Year, so it's going to be worth it: nothing else I've ever tried has been this effective, which makes it vastly easier to stick to), at the end of which I plan to revamp my wardrobe back into the sort of thing I really want to wear but haven't often been able to justify or find at my current size. I've got a few nice suits to slim into for a start. At that point, I'll be looking into adding some nice, new stuff like this.

Alec Leamas

New in Town

View attachment 394148

They're lovely! I'm not sure I have what it takes to pull off a pair of pinstripe or wabash jeans.

However, my preferred fit on jeans is like this. Go wide or go home. Skinny or slim fits, especially in denim, I just can't abide personally. Currently wearing my way through a pair of At Last & co lot 203's, very wide, huge space in the top block. Grand job.

Edward

Bartender
They're lovely! I'm not sure I have what it takes to pull off a pair of pinstripe or wabash jeans.

However, my preferred fit on jeans is like this. Go wide or go home. Skinny or slim fits, especially in denim, I just can't abide personally. Currently wearing my way through a pair of At Last & co lot 203's, very wide, huge space in the top block. Grand job.

In my salad days, I was a big one for the punk rock drainpipe, Joey Ramone stylee. There's a certain irony that those were incredibly difficult to find at the time, whereas after I got older and opted for a wider leg, skinny jeans made a huge comeback and it's now almost impossible to find a mainstream pair wide enough for my tastes, let alone with a waistband that actually hits the natural waist!

Just received a pair of Dickies Heritage 14oz denim trousers. They aren't as loose as the Original 874s, but they ain’t bad
EAB363BA-C1AD-4E24-B79D-AE3601348B95.jpeg

Last edited:
I was in a store yesterday and found some Freddy’s of Pinewood 1940s jeans.
These look fantastic! Not super-heavy, but higher rise (great for vintage leather jackets), and nice wider legs. They even have the back buckle and suspender buttons if you’re into that. Cost is $148 US- so not cheap.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Not super-heavy, but higher rise
I think I am about to try one of these for myself. I somewhat got annoyed by low to mid rise pants recently... I have some OG 507s with a very high rise (above belly line when pulled up) and I can move and bend and sit really comfortably with my belly part encased this way. The Pike Brothers are not high enough for this. Even their take on the OG 107s is way too low or too modern cut in my opinion. I am an ageing man-o-war now...

Last edited:
I have a few pairs of older military trousers (1945/ 1976) and I love the cut! I dislike the “modern” takes on the style which are tighter fitting. I am looking at a pair of Non-Stock on ebay, and I think the dimensions might be good. They also make the Type 1 trouser cut as shorts that might be nice for Summer.

CatsCan

Practically Family
I also had my eye on the NON STOCK OG-107s. Unfortunately their biggest size is 36 inch waist which is only good looking worn by someone who has a waist of 34 inch and is able to use the side adjusters. I am currently at 96 cm around my waist (roughly 38 inch) and I don't consider myself chubby.
Trousers are my achilles' heel.

Dudley

Familiar Face
Picked up a pair of 16.5 oz. Tellason raw selvedge jeans, Gustave. Thinking ahead about care, what do folks think about dry cleaning? Is it a safer option than washing, etc. Still contemplating whether to give them a cold wash before the first wear.

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
Picked up a pair of 16.5 oz. Tellason raw selvedge jeans, Gustave. Thinking ahead about care, what do folks think about dry cleaning? Is it a safer option than washing, etc. Still contemplating whether to give them a cold wash before the first wear.
Kaihara Denim is most likely sanforized, so it will be absolutely no problem to wash those jeans. I would cold wash them before first use. In my experience, denim benefits from being washed from time to time after a prolonged period of use and especially so when it got dirts on it. There is a lot of discussion among denim heads about this topic. But it is a myth that a pair of cotton pants "lives" longer when it is never or rarely washed. In my experience the opposite is the truth.. The only downside is a little bit of color loss every time if you belong to those guys who want to keep their jeans as dark as possible. You should avoid the dryer, though.
Like every other garment, your pants will eventually fade, abrade, crack. When the time has come that you find them to look too worn out for your liking, your jeans will typically end up sold to someone who likes the optic or as a garage pant for around the house jobs.
So in short: If you want to wash it, wash it.

Dudley

Familiar Face
To avoid shrinking or fading, my initial question is if dry cleaning is a good option. Very little is written about this. Seems like a win win. Preserve the fit and color, keep it clean for longevity. Maybe I am over thinking this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB