Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garages and workshops

MPicciotto

Practically Family
QUOTE=Atomic]
I really want an old 40's or 50's fridge for my garage. I think they are really neat looking and would probably try to find a way to convert them to non freon. I love how heavy they are. Opening a door is an effort![/QUOTE]

Why convert it? For refrigeration purposes R-12 (the really old freon) is far superior to newer refrigerants. R-12 is non toxic and non flammable. The only issue is environmental. Once sealed up in your system the environment is safe from it. If you tamper with it to try to change it to a modern one you will most likely release some, therefore defeating the purpose of changing it. That being said if you find yourself with a really old one from the 20's or 30's it might be charged with Sodium Dioxide or Ammonia. Ammonia isn't too bad, it's still used in some large scale applications like warehouse sized freezers, and the amount in a household unit if it did leak out wouldn't present too much of an inhalation hazard. But if you find one that the tag is marked Sodium Dioxide I would relegate it to icebox status after releasing the gas in an open field. That stuff is noxious. Very bad for you. That's part of why Freon-12 introduced by Dupont was called a 'Miracle Chemical" When first demonstrated an engineer from Dupont would inhale a mouthful and then blow out a candle with it. That would show that it was both non-toxic AND non-flammable as both properties any refrigerant of the time would be one or the other.

The chances that a compressor is working and that the freon level is good in very old refrigerators is actually very high. The reasons for this are myriad. They include both better and sturdier construction and also simplification (but there are other reasons) If you install access taps to check the freon level you have introduced a likely leak spot. Better to not touch it at all if it works.

**I'm an HVAC tech by trade so I do actually know what I'm talking about.

Matt

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
MPicciotto said:
**I'm an HVAC tech by trade so I do actually know what I'm talking about. Matt
Good to know, now the other members won't think I am lying about old refrigerators still working! Thanks.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
MPicciotto said:
Why convert it? For refrigeration purposes R-12 (the really old freon) is far superior to newer refrigerants. R-12 is non toxic and non flammable. The only issue is environmental. Once sealed up in your system the environment is safe from it. If you tamper with it to try to change it to a modern one you will most likely release some, therefore defeating the purpose of changing it. That being said if you find yourself with a really old one from the 20's or 30's it might be charged with Sodium Dioxide or Ammonia. Ammonia isn't too bad, it's still used in some large scale applications like warehouse sized freezers, and the amount in a household unit if it did leak out wouldn't present too much of an inhalation hazard. But if you find one that the tag is marked Sodium Dioxide I would relegate it to icebox status after releasing the gas in an open field. That stuff is noxious. Very bad for you. That's part of why Freon-12 introduced by Dupont was called a 'Miracle Chemical" When first demonstrated an engineer from Dupont would inhale a mouthful and then blow out a candle with it. That would show that it was both non-toxic AND non-flammable as both properties any refrigerant of the time would be one or the other.

The chances that a compressor is working and that the freon level is good in very old refrigerators is actually very high. The reasons for this are myriad. They include both better and sturdier construction and also simplification (but there are other reasons) If you install access taps to check the freon level you have introduced a likely leak spot. Better to not touch it at all if it works.

**I'm an HVAC tech by trade so I do actually know what I'm talking about.

Matt

Very valid points, I hadn't really though about releasing the freon in the air while converting. It was environmental reasons that I had first figured on conversion. That and electrical efficiency. I'm all for less work though, and a compressor that is simpler and more bulletproof I'm also a fan of.

Thanks for the info and insight!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
The most efficient refrigerator is one that the door never opens :D As Stearmen said, the door seals are the tricky bit. Look around the lounge for some other threads dealing with refrigerators. It's come up. I think somebody used silicone and plastic wrap to mold their own door seals when replacements were not available. A good seal will make the most difference. Also no electric defrost reduces energy consumption. The remaining factor would be insulation. If your up to it, investigate removing the rear panel and making sure the space between the inner wall and the outer panels is packed with insulation (except around the compressor and wiring)

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Just an update. No garage yet. But I do have another tool! This time I've firmly left the golden era though:

dscn2231.jpg

dscn2235.jpg

The Fitchburg Machine Works was only around from 1857-1877 or so. Conflicting data, what little there is. And it's a heavy thing. We estimate 6-800 lbs. It originally ran with flat belts from an overhead line shaft. Some time (circa 70 years ago) somebody "updated" it with a Century motor with patent dates of 1914/1915 on it.

Matt

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
If I could start fresh, one thing I would want to do would be to install a lineshaft set up. Even if it was just one one wall, but run off a motor that was placed in the attic or other remote location. If you have never been in the presence of a working line shop it's amazing how quite it is. Just a light "fwapping" of belts, no screaming motors.

As mentioned, many older motors themself are very quiet too.

If you are thinking about a three-phase converter, you open yourself o a wild world of very old and stupid heavy duty built tools for very cheap. You can almost get them for free that way if you look hard enough. I brought home an awesome 17" drill press that was a three-phase. Free because of the motor.

Take a peek at my web-site for some of my tool restoration like the one below. http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/shop.html

Lathe-13.jpg

Lathe-63.jpg

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
MPicciotto said:
Just an update. No garage yet. But I do have another tool! This time I've firmly left the golden era though:

dscn2231.jpg

dscn2235.jpg

The Fitchburg Machine Works was only around from 1857-1877 or so. Conflicting data, what little there is. And it's a heavy thing. We estimate 6-800 lbs. It originally ran with flat belts from an overhead line shaft. Some time (circa 70 years ago) somebody "updated" it with a Century motor with patent dates of 1914/1915 on it.

Matt

Matt, that is a nice lathe for sure. And that Century motor is to die for! They just don't make them like that anymore!

Here is my flate belt lathe, an FE Reed made in Worcester, Mass in the same era (patent date 1884, probable build date in the 1900-1910 based on a few clues)

Reed-1.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Man both of those metal lathes just SING! Gorgeous restorations. Yup I've seen the rotary phase converters. Those do open up lots of potential, particularly in heavier, better made industrial shop machinery. And yes a line shaft is under serious consideration.

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
My latest garage accessory. To go with the flat belt lathe I found this flat belt grinder. After some research I've determined that it was most likely an accessory knife sharpener for farm machinery by the same manufacturer.

As found:
dscn3466.jpg

And now:

dscn3485.jpg

Matt

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
OOh Oh Oh I like this thread!!!! I've got a few pieces of machinery myself, but sadly no garage workshop at the house. I've kind of set up a mini shop in my basement to do a few odds and ends but really most of my work is in my cabinet shop business. 40 mile drive to get there but it's worth it every day. My shop is packed with Powermatics, Craftsmans, Sicars, Jets, Grizzlys, Porter Cables, Millwaukies and SCMI's. I really like seeing the restoration pics up there, I've got my Walker Turner Bandsaw all torn apart and ready for paint while I look to have the motor repaired.
Do you guys clean these parts down to bare metal before you repaint?

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I'd be happy to have a garage. I've got one car sitting in my driveway, and 2 in the woods at my parents house.

yea! I need a garage too, I hate letting my Plymouth sit out in the driveway. One night last summer a couple of hillbillies in a pickup decided to stop in front of my house(2 am) shift into four wheel drive, and rip into my lawn with a couple burnouts before tearing down the road. They missed my Plymouth by four feet!! Besides that, classic car insurance asks that you garage the car.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
OOh Oh Oh I like this thread!!!! I've got a few pieces of machinery myself, but sadly no garage workshop at the house. I've kind of set up a mini shop in my basement to do a few odds and ends but really most of my work is in my cabinet shop business. 40 mile drive to get there but it's worth it every day. My shop is packed with Powermatics, Craftsmans, Sicars, Jets, Grizzlys, Porter Cables, Millwaukies and SCMI's. I really like seeing the restoration pics up there, I've got my Walker Turner Bandsaw all torn apart and ready for paint while I look to have the motor repaired.
Do you guys clean these parts down to bare metal before you repaint?

I'd like to see pictures (even in pieces) of your vintage tools. My father has a 14" W-T band saw in the que to be restored. I clean everything down to bare metal. My preferred method is electrolysis. But for some small pieces I'm playing with using vinegar. On the grinder above I used electrolysis to strip off the paint and rust, followed by a washing tor remove the residue, then baked in the oven to drive out moisture and oil. A quick cleaning with a wire brush to remove the flash rust that had formed then primer, brush painted color then aerosol can of clear coat.

Matt

Geez, any particular reason why you were targeted?

yea! I need a garage too, I hate letting my Plymouth sit out in the driveway. One night last summer a couple of hillbillies in a pickup decided to stop in front of my house(2 am) shift into four wheel drive, and rip into my lawn with a couple burnouts before tearing down the road. They missed my Plymouth by four feet!! Besides that, classic car insurance asks that you garage the car.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Hey Matt, thanks for the insite on your resto methods, I took the bandsaw apart a few months ago and stalled on the resto because I wasn't sure what method was best/easiest. This sounds like a good winter project for me. I'll get some pics today, I'm just sittin around surfin the Lounge and my son is here to help with the downloading!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Geez, any particular reason why you were targeted?
No idea why they used my lawn, I really don't know anyone around here. I'm guessing they'd just finished off a case and were heading home for the night!
I guess there isn't much else for the young people to do out here in the sticks! The grass grew back although it was a bumpy ride on the mower that summer!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
What you need to do is go to www.owwm.org. Sign up and be overwhelmed with information. Also www.vintagemachinery.org is a good one. Look there for pictures of similar bandsaws. You can search by manufacturer then look at pics of other peoples, both original and restored. From there you can link over to the OWWM wiki where you will find lots of useful information on restoration. Including a how to on electrolysis.

BTW OWWM stands for Old Wood Working Machinery. All you ever needed to know and then some on old machines. A search on that site will probably help you out with what bearings to get and how to get them off etc.

Matt

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
What you need to do is go to www.owwm.org. Sign up and be overwhelmed with information. Also www.vintagemachinery.org is a good one. Look there for pictures of similar bandsaws. You can search by manufacturer then look at pics of other peoples, both original and restored. From there you can link over to the OWWM wiki where you will find lots of useful information on restoration. Including a how to on electrolysis.

BTW OWWM stands for Old Wood Working Machinery. All you ever needed to know and then some on old machines. A search on that site will probably help you out with what bearings to get and how to get them off etc.

Matt

Wow!! thanks a million for the links to info. I will definately be checking that out. Looks like I've got some work to do!!

All we have to do here is hang out at Wal-Mart.

No idea why they used my lawn, I really don't know anyone around here. I'm guessing they'd just finished off a case and were heading home for the night!
I guess there isn't much else for the young people to do out here in the sticks! The grass grew back although it was a bumpy ride on the mower that summer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot