Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garden plans this year?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
It is my plan this year to turn this scraggly patch of dirt into a beautiful flower garden:
hY9qrsQ.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
Good morning Sheeplady,

For me it's the lawn mower! I will be able to shred and bale the yard next week!

Grandkids who live here on back of our place enjoyed the day off! School closed yesterday due to high water. No danger here in the bottom tho.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good morning Sheeplady,

For me it's the lawn mower! I will be able to shred and bale the yard next week!

Grandkids who live here on back of our place enjoyed the day off! School closed yesterday due to high water. No danger here in the bottom tho.

Aww! We fight grass at the new place. It has very rich rocky soil (lots of thorn apples, supposedly they only grow where it is rich?)

The stuff is really bad. I'm 5'7" and it will get as tall as me. It hasn't been cared for in years, so it is full of goldenrod and quack grass.

I grew up on a sheep farm and sheep LOVE goldenrod. They'll trample down a 100 yards of grass to get to one speck of goldenrod. I look out at our sea of goldenrod and think it's a shame I don't know anyone with sheep. (We paid a farmer $200 to brush hog the 8 acres on our side of the creek last fall; totally worth ithe since we don't own a farm tractor yet.)

My wife wanted a driftwood log that was down on the gravel bar after a recent flood to use for gate posts. Had to drag it about 50 feet by hand until I could get a chain on it to get it up the bank. The gates were salvaged from my late mother-in-law's wood privacy fence when she replaced it with vinyl. They've been sitting in a pile for a few years. We'll see how long this set-up lasts ...

I also found a roll of rabbit guard wire fence over in the old "big" garden that I hope to string next weekend (unless I'm out in the turkey woods).

26260791800_129b9f358f_z.jpg

26441241972_808f89cc27_z.jpg

25928611104_9290891e85_z.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
A word of caution to all those gardeners in those area of concern. Oldest son texted me tonight to say his mom in law got hit on the finger by a copperhead this afternoon. She's still at hospital but she is doing ok!!! Flowerbed next to the house! I figgered it would have been in her immense garden!

All my compadre's are sayin' the same thing. Snakes are out. Especially in the areas where we've had a lot of rain. It's got em moving. Even my granddaughter, ol' Hawkeye, spotted one behind her dads shop this past Saturday while picking berries!

Be careful and keep a clear eye while working!!!

Renault

One Too Many
Good Morning Fellow Gardeners!

Well, we had a bit of wind this past
Saturday morning around 5:00. An F 0 tornado ( whatever that is??? Didn't know there was such a thing) came thru the place. Played He** with the trees, garden, house, and a big cottonwood took out the controller/ pump on the Aerobic septic system. Lest got the septic fixed yesterday.

Been cleaning downed trees and etc. but have to stop for a while as I slipped and fell and put a pencil size stob thru the palm of my right hand. So it's a bit sore.

Garden took quite a beating!!!! But it is bouncing back and in another week it shouldn't be any the worse for wear.

A great start Saturday morning!

We are fine and the house suffered no damage!

Renault - glad you, yours and the house are OK, but that has to be a frustrating set-back. Make my two different tillers dying in two weeks seem like a hiccup. We have the new garden fence up, but nothing in the ground yet. Probably a good thing as we had quite a hail storm over the weekend that would have had us going back for new tomato plants.

Hope you and the garden heal soon!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very sorry Renault! I am glad you and yours are ok, and no damage to the house.

When I was a baby (and asleep in my crib); a tornado struck and took the roof off of the neighbor's house and put it in our front yard. It didn't touch our house at all. They are weird things.

Renault

One Too Many
Greetings friends! It's been a hectic week. Cutting up downed trees and limbs. Have had a fire going for 4 days now and I've barely made a dent in things.
I didn't get a photo of the garden in the aftermath of the storm last week. But everything was pretty well flattened. But,,,,, when things started to dry a bit I was able to get in and do a bit of plant babying! So to speak. And things bounced back pretty good! Matter of fact, green beans are blooming this morning and I look for the squash to bloom any minute now! Here's a pic one week after the "big wind"!! I'm happy with results so far.

More rain predicted. This coming week. Matter of fact been showering a bit already today.
Thanks again to you all and good luck with all your outdoor endeavors!

Renault -- glad to hear you are about back to square-one. We (mostly) finished the fence, hung the gate and set up the "trellis" -- a former gate off my wife's Great-Granddad's farm (no longer in the family). All components salvaged. Put in tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, onions and beets (so far).

26856390121_00c5ca46a0_z.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
Looking Good, BH!!!!!!

I've been picking a few radishes and back in February I threw out a bunch of old Fingerling potatoes. Well they rooted. Had about 5 plants come up. Recent high water and kids horses took their toll on them. So I dug em up!

Heck! I bet I got close To 2 pounds of little
Potatoes on those plants! And delicious too! Wasn't even trying! LOL!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

This year's garden is coming along nicely, if I can keep the deer out. I usually have more coming along by now, but we had a cooler than usual Spring and everything is a bit behind.

I've got a good Irish potato crop growing, as well as squash, beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, cabbage, onions, broccoli, lettuce, pumpkins, and peas. About the only thing left to plant is okra.

The upper section of the garden is planted in rainbow corn (what we used to call Indian corn). My granddaughter wanted to try to sell some of the rainbow colored corn around Thanksgiving time. Who knows, maybe she will corner the market.

Big Man -- wow that is nice. The setting with the house and car makes for a great photo. I wish your granddaughter a successful crop and brisk sales! I used to go to farmer's market with my wife's Granddad and it was time well spent. Boy, that man could garden ... he about worked me to death just trying to keep up with him (he was in his 70s/80s when I was his farm-hand).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk