Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garrahan Hat Co.

Robert Houston

New in Town
Hey!
I was invited by deadlyhandsome to introduce myself, so here it is.

I'm Robert and I run/own Garrahan Hats. We've been the local hatter located in Old Towne Orange, Orange, CA for about 10 years. Within those 10 years, we've grown to be the go to hat shop for custom hats, restoration services, and our vintage hat selection.

We'll build you any classic soft felt hat from the 1850's to the 1950's because that's what we love.

We also carry a full line of vintage clothing, accessories, and collectibles between our two shops: Joyride and Elsewhere Vintage.

Frankly though, we're just a couple of guys who'll talk your ear off about hats and menswear over a beer or two. (IPA's preferred)

GarrahanHatCo.com

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Rob is amazing! As a fellow custom hat maker who lives about 5 minutes from his shop, I can personally attest to their professionalism and dedication to making a great hat! Rob has assisted me whenever I've needed a hand with a project and he and his staff are the best! If you find yourself anywhere near the Orange Circle in So Cal, his shop is a must see! I know I personally wish him all the success possible!!

Hey!

I'm Robert and I run/own Garrahan Hats. We've been the local hatter located in Old Towne Orange, Orange, CA for about 10 years. Within those 10 years, we've grown to be the go to hat shop for custom hats, restoration services, and our vintage hat selection.

We'll build you any classic soft felt hat from the 1850's to the 1950's because that's what we love.

We also carry a full line of vintage clothing, accessories, and collectibles between our two shops: Joyride and Elsewhere Vintage.

Frankly though, we're just a couple of guys who'll talk your ear off about hats and menswear over a beer or two. (IPA's preferred)

GarrahanHatCo.com

Robert, I’m glad you were able to introduce yourself and I hope to see some of your custom hats on members here. Do you mind if I post photos of some of your hats you have on social media?

Some of Garrahan’s hats:

Whipstitched Gay Prince style:

D73BC6D3-2617-4AE3-B9B4-D7E8C8AEED8D.jpeg
89D4F329-ED72-4CD7-87FE-292B2FEBDD9C.jpeg
AA01CFC7-AB44-4366-A6E1-91CBA6FC1456.jpeg
14CADD17-2FED-4B5B-89D5-2825FEE32E62.jpeg
07B6C0D3-210D-45D9-B242-EA137A72EAA7.jpeg
6938397E-BF6B-431F-84E6-82492A8803B9.jpeg
7E083B83-10ED-4290-8886-C100432794B0.jpeg
2B428A55-0DB3-48A9-80D8-721C31558245.jpeg

Yes please do. Thanks

I’m sure many of us would like some information on your custom hats:

What types of felt do you offer (beaver, beaver blends, rabbit, hare, nutria, etc.).

Is your felt Winchester, FEPSA, Tonak, or???

What block profiles do you offer? The #52 is a perennial favorite here, but it’s certainly not the only shape we like.

Can you give us a starting prices for your fedoras and westerns? The custom part of your website doesn’t have pricing yet.

Do you offer vintage grosgrain ribbon? Some of your photos show petersham.

What is your approximate wait time for completing custom hats?

Do you offer all sizes? What size do you go up to?

Your hats look great! We appreciate you taking the time to inform us and to share with us. Thank you!

humanshoes

One Too Many
@Robert Houston

Would you mind sharing where you got the binding attachment in the image below? A couple of us here are interested in this attachment (@humanshoes) Cheers!
View attachment 356913
Robert was kind enough to respond to my inquiry and let me know that his attachment was made by TAC. I just ordered one from Amy yesterday and was informed that they are now making this new, more complete attachment with the ribbon keeper on the front and guide posts at the rear. I'm wondering, CWV, if they might be able to retrofit the one that you have.

Hey!

GarrahanHatCo.com
Welcome to the Lounge, Robert. I've been following you on Instagram for a couple of months. You do beautiful work, and I look forward to seeing more - and perhaps owning one.

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Robert was kind enough to respond to my inquiry and let me know that his attachment was made by TAC. I just ordered one from Amy yesterday and was informed that they are now making this new, more complete attachment with the ribbon keeper on the front and guide posts at the rear. I'm wondering, CWV, if they might be able to retrofit the one that you have.

Thank you Rick! I just emailed Amy, will see what she says.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hey!

GarrahanHatCo.com
My apologies Robert. In my excitement over TAC's new and improved binding attachment, I failed to properly welcome you to the lounge. It's good to have you with us!

Robert Houston

New in Town

What types of felt do you offer (beaver, beaver blends, rabbit, hare, nutria, etc.).

What block profiles do you offer? The #52 is a perennial favorite here, but it’s certainly not the only shape we like.

Can you give us a starting prices for your fedoras and westerns? The custom part of your website doesn’t have pricing yet.

Your hats look great! We appreciate you taking the time to inform us and to share with us. Thank you!
My apologies Robert. In my excitement over TAC's new and improved binding attachment, I failed to properly welcome you to the lounge. It's good to have you with us!

Hello and thanks..
I wonder if tac will rework my attachment I'm still trying to figure mine out

Robert Houston

New in Town

Hey deadlyhandsome and fellow loungers!

We offer all of those types of felts at various price points, which we source from different companies.

Our favorite block shape is #52 as well, but we also offer #70 and #25.

Our #52 blocks run from a size 7 to 8 1/4, and we offer crown heights at 5 in, 5 1/2 in, and 6 in.

Our base felt is hare, with a starting price for a dress weight at $350 and $450 for a western weight.

We offer mostly vintage ribbon but we also have a small selection of new cotton/rayon ribbon as well.

Our wait times vary depending on our workload and material delays. It's pretty much determined by a case to case basis.

Thanks for your interest! Our website will continuously be updated with new products and info.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Hello and thanks..
I wonder if tac will rework my attachment I'm still trying to figure mine out

I will throw out this piece of advice, you likely already know. The tension on the ribbon is critical if there is not enough tension on the ribbon you will see a bunch of "pucker" happening on the underside but you will only notice after you've sewn the ribbon on, in that case, you need more tension on the ribbon. The attachment that I've used that looks like yours belonged to JW of JW Hats before he passed away, it did not have the ribbon post and so the tension was by hand where the user lets the ribbon slide between their thumb and forefinger.

Additionally, with this type of attachment, I have not seen a continuous loop completed. Usually, you leave a small opening at the back with two long tails and then trim down and finish the tails on another sewing machine and/or by hand. The most interesting part is sewing the tails together to connect them. If you have found or find a way to do the continuous loop method then I would be very interested in knowing that piece. I might be able to do with the binding attachment that I have now but can't test it until I can get someone to help fix the take-up lever on my machine.

By the way, I have been remiss in welcoming you to the Lounge. I have looked at your Instagram and website and there are some really great hats there. Will be very interested in seeing more of your work. Welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112