Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gatsby Mansion to be demolished

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't see any particular crime in taking a property that's going to rack and ruin, that would be incredibly expensive to repair and maintain, and turn the property into something that someone is willing to pay for, and sounds like it will fit in with the rest of the neighborhood. (Hundreds of properties there have gone the same way.)
I agree but don't say that you bought it with the intentions of living in it; that's insulting.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree but don't say that you bought it with the intentions of living in it; that's insulting.

Having seen photos of it now, I'm not sure if they really intended to live there, or if they had no experience at all fixing up a house, or whether reselling it was a Plan A or Plan B. Who knows? Some people do restore seedy properties to their former glory. In any event, restoring it was a project someone should have gotten started on 20 years ago.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
I find the owner's story somewhat specious.

" He bought Lands End for $17.5 million in 2004......with plans to live there, but his family objected. He put it up for sale in 2006 for $30 million. "

Were I a cynic .......I'd venture to say that he never planned to live on the property.......He let it lay dormant for two years......then put it on the market making sure it was so drastically overpriced that it would be sure not to sell.......then pleads hardship to the town fathers.....and wins the zoning approval for subdivision which willl turn his $17.5m into $50-70m in around a ten year hold. That's an excellent real estate play in any market, especially this one..........that's if I were a cynic....:rolleyes:

That's exactly what I thought when I read it...but then again I am a cynic :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner