Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gender Differences in Equestrian Bowlers

Clockwork Fan

New in Town
As a collector of bowlers, I've always wondered if there were stylistic differences between male and female models of equestrian bowlers. The most obvious one is the elastic "bun" strap toward the back of the hat that women used to pull over their hair when they've tied it in a bun.

But are their other differences? Without having two to compare I can only speculate that perhaps some of the stylistic differences were that the women's hats had a slightly narrower brim, a crown ribbon that was more narrow, and a slightly shorter crown. Can anyone corroborate that? Thanks in advance for your help.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Men's typically had overly tall leather (or cloth) sweatbands that closed with a drawstring for a good fit, and often had padding. Considering these were used for sporting, it makes sense that they were more helmet-like. I do have got a women's equestrian Cavanagh Derby from the 1950s, and it is as you describe, with the elastic strap, narrower brim and ribbon. The bow is on the left, same as on a man's. The felt is as thick and hard as a man's equestrian Derby, but a regular sweatband, and no padding. The crown is short for an earlier period, but does match the height of a typical man's Derby from the 1950s.

Brad

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
2013-02-23-170129_zpsb5d857cf.jpg

2013-02-23-170213_zps06afa0ba.jpg

2013-02-24-150637_zps571c6da4.jpg

This is an English ladies riding derby, no straps but it has a pretty stingy brim and a lower crown than all of my other bowlers.

Clockwork Fan

New in Town
Here I am with mine. This didn't have the strap, but does have the narrower brim, ribbon and I'm presuming a shallower crown. If you compare it to the bowler that Alex is wearing in my avatar, which is also an equestrian bowler, you can see the differences.

photo-4b.jpg
Alex-Bowler.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot