Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I just came across this blog:

Made By Hand - The Great Sartorial Debate

This guy is actually dissecting garments (often bespoke) and shows in great detail how they were constructed. Most of the garments he's displaying are not really to my liking per-se but the detailing of some of the techniques used on them is quite interesting (I really like the close-up photos of finishing buttonholes). Worth taking a look.

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Tried my hand at making my first holster, turned out better than I expected for a prototype/practice model.
002-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
My contributions...

Hello fellow Crafty Artisans. I am not a Tailor or Wood worker but I am a Photo-real Pencil Artist, Graphic Designer/Web Developer, Musician/Composer (I play about 40 different tribal instruments from all over the world with heavy concentration on various flutes with Native American and Peruvian Quena being my favorite) and I am a Published Author being one of the World's only Paranormal Philosophers. I contribute writing regularly on UFO Magazine Blog for Bill and Nancy Birnes (UFO Hunters). Here are some of my wares:

The Pencil/Charcoal Renderings

TheFiercestHeartsweb2.jpg

santaweb2.jpg

cowboywaistland-1.jpg

(ignore the website URL on the watermark as it no longer exists)

Graphic Design

purplediscsofmordor.jpg

psychoterrestrialheader6.jpg

powellufos.jpg

meheader6.jpg

canyonflyover.jpg

(All of the above are 100% computer generated images. No photo manipulation)

My Music

Here is a video I edited together using one of my compositions as the soundtrack; a piece entitled Passion Flute using a Peruvian Quena Flute as the lead. You will also hear various hand drums, keys, didjeridoo and vocalizations. Composed, arranged, performed and produced by Yours Truly.

[video=youtube_share;3F3s3EqQ7Xk]http://youtu.be/3F3s3EqQ7Xk[/video]

More of my music can be listened to here:

Erik Stitt's Music

My Writing/Philosophical-Theoretical Work/Book/Essays

The Psychoterrestrial Theory

This is me in a nutshell. I spend way more time on a computer than I should!

Thank you and enjoy,

~Erik

Qirrel

Practically Family
Qirrel, how's the '20s style jacket going ?

Pretty good. (It is finished.) Iv'e just been too lazy to upload the pictures. Besides, I began a new jacket not long ago and that is keeping me occupied.

This is the finished 20s styled jacket, a pretty conservative cut really, no extreme waist suppression or swelled chest, but still much less easy than what is normal today. Being a 36 it is too small for the 38 model, and shows some problems related to that, but you can still get the general idea of the cut:

Qirrel

Practically Family
This is the other jacket in progress. More of a 30s style to this.

This is one forepart with the canvas basted in and lapels padded:
img3192vg.jpg

Pockets without flaps:
img3194a.jpg

The canvas
img3196i.jpg

Breast pocket welt.
img3197f.jpg

The lapel before basting. An extra piece of cotton is placed beteween the canvas and cloth to stiffen things up a bit.
img3198l.jpg

img3199q.jpg

The tack at the end of the breast pocket welt:
img3200f.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
thanks for the update Qirrel, looks great !

there's some quite quirky things going on with that 20s jacket; the gingham lining, the way the top-collar is finished over the lining, the cream inside pocket jettings and flap linings.

incidentally, when you make tailored items such as the above are you primarily thinking 'this is for me to wear' or is it 'this is tailoring practice' ... or both ?

also, when using those old pattern drafting books do you make a 'toile' first or just go straight to the final fabric ?

Qirrel

Practically Family
thanks for the update Qirrel, looks great !

there's some quite quirky things going on with that 20s jacket; the gingham lining, the way the top-collar is finished over the lining, the cream inside pocket jettings and flap linings.

incidentally, when you make tailored items such as the above are you primarily thinking 'this is for me to wear' or is it 'this is tailoring practice' ... or both ?

also, when using those old pattern drafting books do you make a 'toile' first or just go straight to the final fabric ?

I'm thinking "this is for me to wear, it will last longer than modern rtw, it looks reasonable good on me, and the fit is more comfortable than rtw" (The armhole problem. I don't think I can ever go back now...), and the next one will probably be better. So at this point it is both. The first few jackets I made had to go to the bin.

If the pattern is new to me I usually make a toile before cutting the fabric. Very often some important details are left out of the instructions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot