Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

WAYWT22-10-12.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Nice one, BK. I like the details, especially the cuffs. I've started doing pick-stitching where before I was machine topstitching, especially on trousers.

If you do get a machine, get a good one. I bought an inexpensive machine, and have regretted it for the last four years. My consolation is I've got a very good machine at home when I move back.

Thanks Nick.

You're absolutely right. I'll be honest and say that both the Baroness and I would by far prefer to have a sewing machine, despite the "fun" of hand stitching. But you know the uncertainties of the academic career, and I don't want to invest in a good manly ex-commercial machine (I need to be able to do leather, eventually) before I know where I'm going to end up. That's probably back in the US, these days, so when I'm settled back there, I'll certainly be buying a good a machine.

For now it's a good set of sharps and some robust thread and newly-developed manly callouses.

Metatron

One Too Many
Speaking of the jacket design, I love that subtle combination of the spartan and the ornate, like the completely basic collar vs the fancy back.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
A combination of a modern piece with vintage aspects.

Years ago for paintball I bought a "Tru-Spec" jacket in a civilian variant of woodland MARPAT. Well, for some reason I bought it in a large size (42R-45R) even though I'm a medium (39R). Because of this I never used the jacket and threw it in the closet.

Well, I'm getting into airsoft and decided to check out the jacket again. Yup, still too large; actually it looked like a balloon on me. So rather than put it away and never use it I decided to try a fun little sewing project.

While I didn't get any "before" pics of the back, my jacket had just a plain back.

On each back seam I took in about 1 1/4", making the jacket fit me a lot better. I did some interesting pressing, pinning and sewing, and gave the jacket a bi-swing back with a gusset at each shoulder as well as open gussets on the jacket skirt.

The finished back:
done002small.jpg

I took some more inspiration from a WW2 service jacket I own. It has a piece of elastic connecting the two inner pieces of the shoulder gussets together, keeping them organized, flat, and pulled in while at rest:
M39servicecoat003.jpg

Without elastic the fairly flimsy fabric of the MARPAT jacket renders the gussets pretty much useless: there isn't enough 'weight' in the fabric to push the gussets back in.
done007.jpg

Now, with just a plain seam below the shoulder gussets the bottom of the jacket back would have been a tad tighter than I like and I wanted better mobility so I opened it up from just below the shoulder gussets all the way to the bottom of the jacket skirt. What previously would have been just a seam is now pleated just like the shoulder gusset. At rest it just lays flat while in use it can expand, giving me extra mobility and room to move.

My jacket's right side gusset at rest:
done005.jpg

And expanded:
done006.jpg

A few more pics.
done001.jpg

done003.jpg

done004.jpg

There are a few minor things I'd do differently if I had another chance and a couple areas of pulling/wrinkling that could be fixed but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys,

I'd like some advice from the men around here.

My dad is a surprisingly fashion-and-style conscious person and appearance and grooming mean a lot to him. I suppose that's where I get my own style from. But he complains on a regular basis that my shirts don't stay tucked in like they should be.

To remedy this, I was thinking of MAKING a pair of shirt-stays. You know, those things that you wear, that hook onto your shirt-tails, and then trail down inside your trousers, to your socks?

These things:

LawPro-Shirts-Stays-White.jpeg

I have some old clip-on braces that i don't use, and I figured, I could recycle the straps, clips and sliders from those, to make myself a pair of shirt-stays. Does anyone have any tips? How long should I make them? Should i include slider-clips, or should they be sans-clips (like what you see in the photo up there).

Last edited:

Bugsy

One Too Many
Hey guys,

I'd like some advice from the men around here.

My dad is a surprisingly fashion-and-style conscious person and appearance and grooming mean a lot to him. I suppose that's where I get my own style from. But he complains on a regular basis that my shirts don't stay tucked in like they should be.

To remedy this, I was thinking of MAKING a pair of shirt-stays. You know, those things that you wear, that hook onto your shirt-tails, and then trail down inside your trousers, to your socks?

These things:

LawPro-Shirts-Stays-White.jpeg

I have some old clip-on braces that i don't use, and I figured, I could recycle the straps, clips and sliders from those, to make myself a pair of shirt-stays. Does anyone have any tips? How long should I make them? Should i include slider-clips, or should they be sans-clips (like what you see in the photo up there).

Why don't you just by a pair?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters