Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Thanks all.

Nick, it's an A. A. Whife Tailor and Cutter draft (I think the estimate was middle-late 1940s), posted over at Cutter and Tailor. They don't seem to be able to get it to work over there, and I know why, but I'm not a member, so can't let them know.

Nice, BK. Did you use a commercial pattern?

Missed this. Thanks, I was fortunate enough to get a huge lot of vintage white cateye grooved buttons, along with a bunch of other designs, mostly white, but some other colours too.

:eusa_clap Nice shirting and buttons, too. Did you use a sewing machine this time?

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Hello. Can anyone here give me info on a US Blindstitch Co. 118-S? I'm coming ip pretty short on information, and am thinking about buying one to attach hat sweatbands to vintage fedoras.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I just looked through the thread on the C&T. I might give this a go, though I have to size it down to a 14" neck. What were the problems you found?

Simonds

Vendor
For the inside brim i tooka apart a cheap panel cap from a thrift store just for the plastic brim it had inside.
I have been looking a for a supplier for plastic brims but no luck so far. since thats not the last hat Ill be making for myself.

:) Fabric looks great in cap form, good job Damian! How's the rest of the suit coming along?

DamianM

Vendor
:) Fabric looks great in cap form, good job Damian! How's the rest of the suit coming along?

Taking me a while since i got back to school, and work and all.
I only work at it during the late evenings.
It will be done soon.

Btw What do you use for your brims?

Simonds

Vendor
good to hear, looking forward to seeing the ensemble! always like peeking in this thread when I get some down time and see what you guys come up with next.
as for my brims, I used to make them from thin plastic and interfacing but now I'm using a couple of different things, recently started using cardstock with jute interfacing to replicate the older caps, I was greatly surprised by the weight and character it gives the cap. A heavy leather for the workwear caps and the less expensive option is a modern visor board used in baseball caps.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Tunic shirt prototype. I have corrected the collar overlap issue for future shirts.

kurtzshirtprototype1-1.jpg

Very impressed with this shirt, and absolutely loving the file name to the pic: "kurtzshirtprototype1." Succinct, and to the point, wish I had thought of it.
Last shirt that I made, I kept a pictorial diary of a sort of : "how to do," from laying out the pattern to cutting the panels out. From inserting the interfacing to creating the buttonholes and sewing on the buttons. There's about twenty photos in all, but looking on Youtube and elsewhere, my pictorial attempt looks quite amateurish.
This is the shirt, the material is apt because I am considering trading my car for a pre-war 'Woodie.'

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have an alteration in photographic detail of a man's shirt, altered to fit a woman. Complete with altered seams, darts, buttons and buttonholes and appearance to give it the hourglass shape and highlight the ladies beautiful curves.
The shirt is a birthday present, and just in case someone I know might lurk here, I can't show it yet. Later in the month, so be patient.
How remiss of me to forget this, also, I really should have remembered to have taken a 'before' photo so that difference can be clearly seen:

This is the alteration of the seams, the originals were unpicked, the new seam curved to fit the wearer's measurements, underbust darts added to accentuate her figure.

The buttons are transposed to the opposite side and repositioned. the buttonholes are sewn up and left, because there is sufficient overlap to hide them once the shirt is buttoned. Covering the buttonholes would mean an extra length down the garment, plus an extra length down the button side in order to match the two seams.

From the back the curved effect can clearly be seen.

As it can from the front. The lady uses the stage name Miss Memphis Belle, couldn't resist the shirt.

By the way Palmer Pletsch have a superb pictorial: "How to," for welt pockets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner