Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm sure that many of the techniques are achievable but the biggest hurdle would, I imagine, be the creation of a perfect last to match the customer's foot. In tailoring a suit can be tacked together then fitted, checked and altered. That isn't so easy with a personalised last.
I think that the last maker has a task similar to that of the 'cutter' who makes the pattern in tailoring. An initial last/pattern is made using the customer's measurements and subsequent fittings serve to tweak the last/pattern until it results in a proper fit. For me, that's the art of bespoke. The actual process of asembling the shoe/suit is more of a craft.

DamianM

Vendor
Made from a small piece of the Donegal tweed I'm making a suit off.

6 panel cap

563091_549935858375229_1890297881_n.jpg
559188_549935678375247_2133341462_n.jpg

1209251_549935661708582_810773551_n.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I recognise the first two fabrics but are they all vintage silks?

Also, I'd like to see a close up of the red and blue fabric - third from left.

God yes. After all hbk's hectoring (;)), I finally got a decent little home machine, and won't look back. While I think all the hand stuff was immensely useful in understanding how panels are put together and how to manipulate them, for long seams and consistent stitch length etc, a machine is invaluable.

This was my first shirt (1950s vintage shirting from the old Textile King), working through wobbles in the draft and mistakes in the instructions. My second and third ones are much better.:)

Simonds

Vendor
Pete, After following your work and seen what you've done by hand, I knew the machine would be a walk in the park. Excellent job!

DamianM

Vendor
Damian, love the fabric. What did you use for inside the brim? Interior photos?

For the inside brim i tooka apart a cheap panel cap from a thrift store just for the plastic brim it had inside.
I have been looking a for a supplier for plastic brims but no luck so far. since thats not the last hat Ill be making for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner