Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Nick D, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Deusis

Deusis Vendor

Recently made a variation of a trifold wallet in Horween Natural Shell Cordovan. Very happy with how it turned out. It is all hand stitched so it takes a bit of time.

2.jpg
    3.jpg

PeterB likes this.
  2. AEH

AEH One of the Regulars

Nice work, Deusis!
    Where do you get your shell cordovan?

3. Johnny J

Johnny J Call Me a Cab

Here is a nice pattern that I started with a few years ago:

http://www.evadress.com/3988.html

4. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

They even use a photo of our very own NicK D on their website!

5. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Here's a display heads I 'made' a while ago, it's really just one of those cheap polystyrene heads off Ebay covered in very small pieces of an old Cycling magazine from the late 1960's, I tried bigger bits but they didn't take to contours very well, the base I've had years, a friends father made it for me for some reason.
    The head is secured by a bamboo skewer glued into the head a into the base, I just need to varnish it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOTE these heads come marginally bigger than a 58 more like a 59 so I had to shave it back and sand it a bit before putting on the paper pieces , now it's a dead on 58 which is great as all my hats fit it! His name is Harry by the way!

6. Papperskatt

Papperskatt Practically Family

Nice! I'm a 59, might have to get me one of those heads. :) And then cover it in magazine paper like that.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  7. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

It'll not be far off a 59, I used am old cycling magazine but old paper is thicker, not sure how glossy paper would work...I just used PVA glue diluted a little in water and soaked them a few at a time, this worked ok for the flatter areas but I found I needed neat PVA for around the nose eyes and ears, the ears especially were tricky...it IS laborious and took me about 10 hours spread over several nights and weekends a bit at a time!

8. Papperskatt

_MG_9331.jpg _MG_9330.jpg _MG_9329.jpg _MG_9332.jpg

The strap isn't perfectly straight and the peak is a bit wonky, but overall I'm quite happy with it. I still need to fix the lining and sweatband, but this'll do for tonight.

PeterB likes this.
  9. brendanm720

brendanm720 One of the Regulars

That is a beautiful jacket. The higher placement of the pocket draws your eye upward and makes you look a bit taller. I think it works. :D

10. brendanm720

brendanm720 One of the Regulars

Pants are not as difficult as say, a jacket, but there are lots of different ways to make them and some patterns are more difficult than others. If you need to make adjustments to how a pattern fits, there can be quite a learning curve.

As for patterns, you may want to check out this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?81461-Vintage-Patterns

ETA: And now that I've looked at the thread, I note you started it, so you may already know all of the info in it. [facepalm]

11. Dreamofgilgamesh

Dreamofgilgamesh A-List Customer

Last November I set myself the goal of learning how to knit. Many months and YouTube videos later here's the result. One sleeveless pullover made from a 1930's pattern.

[​IMG]

PeterB likes this.
  12. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Outstanding work sir I salute you!

13. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

well done Dreamster !

14. Papperskatt

Looks really good!

15. Dreamofgilgamesh

Dreamofgilgamesh A-List Customer

Thank you all very much, now I know how to do it the next one shouldn't take me so long, but I'm not taking commissions just yet haha.

16. Yesteryear

Yesteryear One of the Regulars

Great knitting Dreamofgilgamesh, looks like a perfect fit on you!

17. Yesteryear

Yesteryear One of the Regulars

Beautiful jacket!

18. JohnFurr

JohnFurr New in Town

I know yours is an old post Steven, but I still wanted to say nice job, and I was surprised to find this here by accident. I read Fedora lounge for the period dress, but as a volunteer transit operator at an Ontario radial railway which operates old TTC streetcars I too wanted to make my own uniform, but mine will be 1930 style.

19. PeterB

PeterB One of the Regulars

Wow. Great jacket, Nick D. You have some talent in your fingers. I would like to learn to sew, but do not have the time. Retirement project.

20. PeterB

PeterB One of the Regulars