Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
Right now i'm charging $600 for a simple 3-piece and then up depending on the level of detail; belted back, victorian cut, etc...
For single items such as a waistcoat like the one on that suit I would charge around $100
and around $150 for a pair of trousers like that
Right now I'm really getting into doing fancy back jackets with bi-swing backs and the like and for that I would charge around $650-700
Currently i'm doing intense research to re-create the perfect jazz suit (more to come...)

Simonds

Vendor
This might be a big post but here are some detail shots of the suit I just finished, it's based off a turn of the 20th century sack suit but I included some 1930's details in the lapel and fitted back.
The main material is cotton with a great twill shirting material I found for a lining,

tumblr_miy77rEpTo1qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_miy77rEpTo1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

Vintage Buttons
tumblr_miy77rEpTo1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_miy77rEpTo1qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

tumblr_miy77rEpTo1qhhvpco6_1280.jpg

Some decorative stitched I added to the back of the waistcoat
tumblr_miy77rEpTo1qhhvpco7_1280.jpg

tumblr_miy77rEpTo1qhhvpco8_1280.jpg

What do you guys think?

Amazing work!

Simonds

Vendor
WOW! I learned on my grandmothers singer, I wish I had it today,they just don't make them like they used too.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've just finished this jacket (probably a bit too late as well as spring appears to be making an attempt to get here).

although it resembles a 'mackinaw' in design the fabric is lighter (22oz as opposed to a typical 30-36oz vintage mackinaw) and the fit is more tailored.
it's lined with a heavy black cotton twill (non satiny) in the body and my usual vintage sleeve lining in the arms. buttons are vintage. buttonholes are Reece 101 machine.

shawlnorfolk_01_zps63855d88.jpg

shawlnorfolk_04_zps3df080d8.jpg

shawlnorfolk_03_zpseee8ff94.jpg

shawlnorfolk_02_zps83434b99.jpg

shawlnorfolk_label_zps825c2d09.jpg

i've included a scan of the label that was attached to the fabric. it's rare to get vintage fabric that is actually dated. of course 1943 might not be the date of fabric production but the date the fabric arrived at United Costumers Inc: a US company who made clothes for films. i'm guessing that 'LEVINE BBOS' is supposed to read 'Levine Bros' and that is a typo.

inspiration; Charles Williams FW 1920-21:

ref01_zpsb593070e.jpeg

Eatons 1920-21:

ref02_zpsf071c860.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
thanks fellas !

Flo, i don't know. there's some really good stuff coming from Japan and RRL, and their level of finish (particularly in shirts/workwear rather than tailored) is something i can't quite match as i don't have access to double and triple stitch machines, fancy bartack, eyelet machines and stuff like that.

i forgot to mention that the fabric is double over the front and back yokes, and coupled with the cotton twill lining it's a pretty heavy jacket.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Well done, HBK. You have no need to go searching for originals when you can produce exactly what you want. How long did it take to make?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Outstanding work again. This is phenomenal, look at that collar! Did you use a period draft?

i started it on 11th Feb, but i would imagine about 7-8 days in total (which isn't very quick).

See, I'm jealous of how quickly you finish your work. This would take me much longer, I generally only have had a little time in the evenings to sew. Now I can't at all since I've moved and all my fabric and supplies are shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy