Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen's Vintage Clothing Show & Sale in NYC

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Manhattan Vintage has been conducting vintage clothing shows twice annually for many years, but the focus has always been on women's clothing and accessories, with only a few vendors offering menswear.

But on November 4-5, they're holding their first men's vintage clothing show and sale, and I hope that plenty of area Loungers will make it a point to attend, so that they'll be encouraged to hold more such shows in the future.

Here's the rundown from their website:

New York City's First Men's Vintage Clothing Show & Sale.
Shop collections from 20 of the nation's top men's vintage clothing dealers under one roof for 2 days.

You heard it right. For the first time ever 20 of the nation's premier men's vintage clothing dealers will gather their goods and converge on the Prince George Ballroom in NYC to sell their wears. Come and shop the collections of the industry's greatest collectors.

Men's vintage clothing is a market that has been often over-looked because of it's hard-to-find nature. Not any more! These original items that have been routinely copied and used for inspiration by the world's top designers will now be easily accessible to everyone.

Everything from rare vintage denim and workwear, to the beautifully tailored suits of the 1940's and collectable Hawaiian shirts from the 1950's. American, Japanese and European designer wear. Exciting Rock-a-billy, Motorcycle, Western, Military, Athletic, Surf and Swim wear, Ivy League, Disco, Hippie and Carnaby Street. Vintage suits, shirts, jackets, shoes, watches, ties, cuff links and hats. Fine fabrics like cotton, wool, vicuna and of course cashmere. This will be the most outstanding collection of men's vintage clothing ever gathered.​

There's more here, along with a printable coupon for a $5 savings on admission.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
The Way We Wore used to carry men's clothing, and of good quality, by appointment. I have a few things I purchased there.

Twenty vendors may not be so many, but it's far better than the five or six usually found at these shows. From a small acorn...

Given how hard it is to find vendors who deal in men's vintage wear, I think this is a very exciting event. If enough people attend, perhaps there will be 30 vendors next time, or 40.

The mere fact that they're undertaking a men's show is a surprise, and I do hope everyone within striking distance will try to attend, so as to convince the organizers to continue mounting men's shows/sales from time to time.

(Disclaimer: I have nothing whatsoever to do with Manhattan Vintage; I just attend their shows.)

I'm not sure what vintage fairs are like your way, but over here menswear is very hit and miss. Sometimes some of the french vendors will bring stuff, and maybe once or twice in a blue moon a British seller will have some menswear.

To have a sale dedicated to menswear, and 20 vendors of it, is the stuff dreams are made of.

Great idea, but I am not impressed about the line up of vendors. Are these events usually this small?

mattfink

Practically Family
Great idea, but I am not impressed about the line up of vendors. Are these events usually this small?

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you already know, 99% of all dealers of vintage clothes (at least at shows) sell primarily women's clothing. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

mattfink

Practically Family
I'll monitor the outcome of this show. If it's successful, I'll contact some folks on the west coast about doing a similar show here.

There already is such a show on the West Coast...it's called Inspiration. Feb. 10th & 11th 2012. Primarily men's vintage with a small smattering of women's. There are repro brands as well, but the vintage is the top stuff.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There already is such a show on the West Coast...it's called Inspiration. Feb. 10th & 11th 2012. Primarily men's vintage with a small smattering of women's. There are repro brands as well, but the vintage is the top stuff.

Oh yes, I went to the Inspiration show at the Santa Monica Airport. Great workwear and motorcycle club stuff, but almost no business suits, fedora, ties, and dress shoes ... the things I'm most into.

YETI

A-List Customer
Unfortunately, as I'm sure you already know, 99% of all dealers of vintage clothes (at least at shows) sell primarily women's clothing. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

That wasn't the case back in the early to mid 90s. I only went to the Vintage Fashion Expo in SF back then and it was closer to 60% women's and 40% men's.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab

It is not about looking a gift horse in the mouth, it is about being realistic. It is is great that this event is being hosted, but it is not going to be like Inspiration, were every booth has something interesting to at least look at. Heller's going to have some killer work wear, Snappy Gabs will have some Rock and Roll stuff, The Way We Wore will have overpriced stuff from the 40s and 50s, for sure there are a handful of vendors with a decent selection in attendance.

Yet the majority of what there is to find will be the same kind of vintage fodder and space fillers you find at any random vintage clothing store. I can find that monthly at the Rose Bowl, or any day on Long Beach's 4th street, San Francisco's Haight Street, or Hollywood's Melrose Avenue.

Like I'm said, I'm glad for the New Yorkers, but I personally, remain unimpressed.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Irony or ignorance?

Here's the rundown from their website:

"For the first time ever 20 of the nation's premier men's vintage clothing dealers will gather their goods and converge on the Prince George Ballroom in NYC to sell their wears. "

Things you sell are "wares". I wonder if the advertising copy writer knows the difference between "ware" and "wear"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner