Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genuine Issue Peacoats

stingman1

New in Town
I'm new hear and I know this has been discussed in the past, but can anyone tell me how to get an actual USN peacoat? I know that Sterlingwear makes the current issue coats...and that they make a commercial version called the Authentic that they say is the closest thing to the issue coats that is offered commercially...but I would love to get an actual issue peacoat. There was a thread here a few years ago in which Peacoat (the member) seemed to have an extensive knowledge of these...so, hopefully he can answer this.

Thanks.

TheModernLife

New in Town
The Peacoat Dating thread is sticky in the Outerwear section.

This is the best site I have found for vintage pea coats at reasonable prices.

Also check local thrift stores. It took me a while to find one in my size but I just did and it was well worth the wait.

stingman1

New in Town
I'd prefer to find a way to get current issue one

I know there are vintage ones on ebay...but I would prefer to get a new current issue USN coat.

Peacoat

Bartender
The current issue peacoats are not nearly as nice as the ones issued before 1980, but to each his own.

You can find the current issue on ebay as well. They will be the black ones with the white square tag at the inside back of the coat just below the collar. The seller Irish Don has a bunch of them. Also Vintage Trends, as mentioned above, may occasionally have current issue for sale. But I think they stay away from them.

New current issue peacoats are not available to the public, as far as I know. You will have to get a used, like new condition, peacoat. The commercial coats available to the public are cut differently--not as well tailored to the body.

Mr. Peacoat

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
To get a brand new issue peacoat someone who is in the service or retired from the service would have to get, or order it for you from the navy post exchange. The modern day black coats that they sell today are not like the older ones from the '60s or years later. Those old blue US Navy coats are by far the best. If you have a fairly common size it would not take long to find them on ebay. Some are in excellent to mint shape. The big winter season for pea coats has just started on ebay. From now through Jan. or Feb. ebay will have many coats listed.

dep126

Familiar Face
I too have been looking for a nice peacoat and called Sterlingwear earlier today with a few questions. I was surprised when I was told that anyone can call and request an actual issue peacoat. Michelle at sterlingwear said they just don't list those on the website. Price for an official issue coat is $250 (ouch). She said the ONLY difference between the official issue and authentic (listed on website) is material. The issue coat is 100% wool in a very dark navy color. The authentic is made the same and cut from the same pattern. I'm not sure the 100% wool is worth an extra $100 but if you're looking for an authentic coat just call sterlingwear and speak to Michelle.

Peacoat

Bartender
I would be leery of what the marketing department tells you about the cut, material and color of the coats and how they compare to the current Sterlingwear Navy issue coats. First of all, the color of the coats since 1980 is black and not a dark navy. If she got that wrong, then what else did she get wrong?

I have two of the post 1980 peacoats (not made by Sterlingwear) and they are solid black and 100% wool. I had a Sterlingwear current issue peacoat up until a few years ago; it was solid black. I looked for it to check the percentage of wool, but remembered I gave it to a friend of mine about 3 years ago. I believe it was also 100% wool.

While doing research on peacoats a few years back, I called Sterlingwear to get some information. The customer service rep was very nice and helpful, but his information wasn't reliable. He told me the current issue peacoats were the same as the earlier vintage coats. I was polite and didn't correct him, but I realized he didn't know just a whole lot about peacoats.

Now that isn't to say that Sterlingwear doesn't make a quality product, because it does. Its issue coats are made to Navy specifications, and are well made garments. It's just that the old Kersey wool is so much nicer and thicker than the current Melton wool coats. As I remember, the cut is a little trimmer with the vintage coats as well.

So my point is be careful what you rely on in purchasing a non issue peacoat. Best bet--go vintage.

dep126

Familiar Face
Thanks for the heads up. I would def agree in being careful what you believe from a sales rep. The reason I called was because earlier today I called a local army/navy surplus store to see if they had coats I could try on. The guy at that store said he was, and I quote, "the only store in the county" carrying the official navy issue coats. I thought that was a line of bs so I called sterlingwear. Peacoat, can you explain how the sizes work on peacoats. I keep reading that you should either buy your regular suit size or go down one for a more slim fit. But according to sterlingwear they say to go up one size. And according to thier site a 42 is the actual chest size. How, if I have a 42 chest could it possibly fit? I wouldn't think I could actually move, or breath in the thing. maybe you could shed some light for me.

And a bit off topic but how many posts do you have to have before you can send someone a pm? Every time I try it says I can't.

dep126 said:
Thanks for the heads up. I would def agree in being careful what you believe from a sales rep. The reason I called was because earlier today I called a local army/navy surplus store to see if they had coats I could try on. The guy at that store said he was, and I quote, "the only store in the county" carrying the official navy issue coats. I thought that was a line of bs so I called sterlingwear. Peacoat, can you explain how the sizes work on peacoats. I keep reading that you should either buy your regular suit size or go down one for a more slim fit. But according to sterlingwear they say to go up one size. And according to thier site a 42 is the actual chest size. How, if I have a 42 chest could it possibly fit? I wouldn't think I could actually move, or breath in the thing. maybe you could shed some light for me.

And a bit off topic but how many posts do you have to have before you can send someone a pm? Every time I try it says I can't.

Good post from Peacoat 6 months ago about peacoat sizing.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=50805&highlight=peacoat+sizing

(Third post down.)

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
Now that isn't to say that Sterlingwear doesn't make a quality product, because it does. Its issue coats are made to Navy specifications, and are well made garments. It's just that the old Kersey wool is so much nicer and thicker than the current Melton wool coats. As I remember, the cut is a little trimmer with the vintage coats as well.

The real question is will I be able to get away with wearing a vintage pea coat with my Navy uniform. :rolleyes:

I ship to boot camp early next year.

NH

stingman1

New in Town
Peacoat, since you obviously have the greatest knowledge on this subject here...

I wear a size 48 Long. Would I be able to find a vintage peacoat that would fit?

RobT

New in Town
I can only confirm what others have said regarding the quality of modern peacoats compared with the older ones. I bought a 2004 year Sterlingwear coat which I was initially pleased with. It looked good, was warm in the winter and the fit was good.

After reading various posts in this forum, including Mr Peacoat's excellent post on the various models, I bought a WW2 vintage coat. What a difference in quality and look from the later coat!

Apart from the colour difference, the Kersey wool is much denser than the Melton wool of the later coat. I reckon that it will resist water better because of this as well as being warmer in the cold. I like the look of the extra row of buttons and the bigger collar as well.

One other point that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere; the lining on the more recent Sterlingwear coat used to develop "balls" of fluff all over it due to the lining material. Although not significant, it used to drive me round the bend! I do not get this problem with the earlier coat.

The older coats come up fairly frequently on Ebay but I have noticed that the prices, particularly for the larger sizes, are rising.
Vintage Trends always seem to have a good supply.

Good luck in your search!

I have a question that I would like to ask Mr Peacoat; Is it possible to date to the year a WW2 coat?

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I took Peacoat's advice last year and bought a vintage one, 1966 I believe, for $50.
Other than a few moth nibbles that are only on the surface, the coat is pristine. The wool is absolutely the nicest I've ever seen.
Lining is perfect too.
Cut of the coat is snug, but not restrictive.
It looks very flattering on me.
Listen to Peacoat and buy vintage.
You won't be disappointed.
Lenny

OneEyeMan said:
I took Peacoat's advice last year and bought a vintage one, 1966 I believe, for $50.
Other than a few moth nibbles that are only on the surface, the coat is pristine. The wool is absolutely the nicest I've ever seen.
Lining is perfect too.
Cut of the coat is snug, but not restrictive.
It looks very flattering on me.
Listen to Peacoat and buy vintage.
You won't be disappointed.
Lenny

Agree.
I purchased a peacoat manufactured in 1953 that, other than the sailors name stenceled in the lining, looks like it is brand new.
Wool is nice and thick. Warm. Fits well. I believe I paid 75$ for it.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
stingman1 said:
I wear a size 48 Long. Would I be able to find a vintage peacoat that would fit?

I'm just under 6'-3" and 200 lbs. Size 46 in the old blue Kersey peacoats fits me, and are long enough in the body and sleeves. Finding a 48 would take a little while of looking. I'm not sure if they have 48L in the old coats. If they do, it is very rare from what I've heard from other people. I have seen a few size 48 on ebay in the past 10 months. You picked the best time to start looking. Ebay will have many coats listed from now thru Feb. or March.
Wow! 250.00 for a new pea coat! You could could find a real beautiful peach for that price and even cheaper with the old blue coats.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Nighthawk said:
The real question is will I be able to get away with wearing a vintage pea coat with my Navy uniform. :rolleyes:

I ship to boot camp early next year.

NH

You won't get away with anything in boot camp. shakeshead

Tip - don't wear or take anything with you to boot camp you can't afford to lose. It's all going to be packed into a box and shipped home right after they shave your head and issue your first uniforms. The box may or may not make it home before you do.

Good luck!

Peacoat

Bartender
stingman1 said:

As Spoonbelly said, the larger sizes are extremely rare, especially in a long. Obviously, keep an eye on ebay, and check out Vintage Trends as well. If you find something in decent condition that is your size, but it right then.

CC-1

Familiar Face
more follow-up on Sterlingwear

Dep's info was correct: You can buy the genuine issue coat from Sterlingwear direct for $250. Furthermore, Michelle is indeed the customer liason. Just show up there if you can and they'll give you a tour of the plant.
I have been to the factory in East Boston twice and you can't find a nicer bunch of people on the planet. They make many other sundry military clothes from dress Marine uniforms to Gen3 cold weather gear. About 265 workers but in many ways it's like a big family- the very opposite of a sweat shop.
All that being said, the coat you get for $250 is a complete dud- the info about the fuzz balls (pilling) is true and has been going on since at least 1980. (I had one of those from Sterlingwear too) The melton is saggy and soft compared with kersey. I wouldn't blame the manufacturer too much because the stuff is made to a specification- now a lousy one at that. You just got to go vintage if possible. One good thing about the modern coats though, is you can get about any size in regular, short or long. They are black.
One last tip- the old Vi-Mil coat is really a Sterlingwear with their old name. It stood for Viking military, I believe. They used to make Viking sportswear. So they can make a good product if they get the goods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy