Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Lucas Is Ready to Roll the Credits

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Personally, I probalby won't see this movie because it looks just like another Star Wars episode, complete with the same crummy looking digital that made me skip Episode 3.

LOL, glad to know I'm not the only only that never bothered seeing it I and II were so bad. I honestly don't understand using a digital camera to shoot a '40s movie. I do give a few movies like "Public Enemies" a chance that are period digital "films," but they usually let me down.

I think the modern spins are so poor most of the time that they belittle the subject. I'd like to see a filmmaker with the courage to tell a history story warts and all, no glorifying the characters portrayed as God-like supermen, but rather as real human beings, flaws and all.

Anyway, will watch it at home, for free, on my hi-def. TV. After all, that's what Lucas is making it for anyway. The HBO movie would look better at the local multiplex, not that I've seen it, solely because it was shot on the right stuff, 35.

Red Tails is photographed digitally. In fact about 15% of it was shot on the Canon 7D consumer digital SLR. But it looks beautiful. Very nicely photographed. As for the digital effects, I couldn't tell the difference between the real planes and the cgi. I saw it on a 45 foot screen with 2k digital projection by the way.

As for films going digital, get used to it. Every professional motion picture camera maker, Panavision, Arri, Aaton, have stopped making new film cameras, and have put all of their R&D into new digital cameras. Rental houses have reported that rentals of film cameras are down to about 30% of their business. The rate of all digital projection in theaters has gone up rapidly because of a financing deal that has the studios paying for almost half of the installation costs, if they are done before 2013. Add to that, Kodak has just filed for bankruptcy.

My guess is that film as a medium for image capture and presentation for main stream motion pictures will be all but gone with in 5 years.

Doug

Last edited:
A lot of work is being done on this gear.
Get used to it indeed. I don't think I'll miss film to be honest. Not in the technical sense. I always lament the passing of something classic and part of our history, but progress comes. Look no further than Kodak and Polaroid. Film's days are numbered.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
A lot of work is being done on this gear.
Get used to it indeed. I don't think I'll miss film to be honest. Not in the technical sense. I always lament the passing of something classic and part of our history, but progress comes. Look no further than Kodak and Polaroid. Film's days are numbered.

Yes the Red is being used to to shoot The Hobbit and Prometheus. The wonderful thing about digital, is that the film looks exactly the same in the 3rd week as it did on opening day.

Doug

Edward

Bartender
Amen to that. I still shudder at memories of some of the appalling prints of Rocky Horror Fox lease out in the UK (both of them). One night I had to do two separate five minute stand up sets off the cuff when the film snapped twice. I still recognise that print when I see it. Digital is a joy.

Yes the Red is being used to to shoot The Hobbit and Prometheus. The wonderful thing about digital, is that the film looks exactly the same in the 3rd week as it did on opening day.

Doug

Forget the 3rd week - think 30 years - 130 years! That's the beauty of it. Sure, like LP's, it may not have the "warmth" and depth some feel, but it doesn't hold up. I for one wish many films were digital or digitized ling ago. As was said above - Rocky Horror - to name but one - would be so much better now.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I thought you guys might like to see some photos from the screening last night.

6737832855_676ddc9ce1_z.jpg

6737820413_cb3441be79_z.jpg

6737809293_aa1839266f_z.jpg

6737804567_da5d7b4f3d_z.jpg

Doug

Thanks Doug. I just purchased one of the Matt Hall prints with signatures. Great to be there I'm sure. Very cool you got to see them in person. I take every opportunity to talk with WWII Vets when I can. Wonderful people with a lifetime of great stories. Good to see recognition for these fine, trail-blazing soldiers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails