Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

upegelow

New in Town
I know that Mayser had the license to make Stetson Hats in Germany. Your hat could be later when Friedrich W. Schneider (F.W.S.) Köln took over the Stetson brand for Europe which they have to this day. F.W.S. sourced hats from different hat companies. Is this the only paper label behind the sweatband?

As I mentioned above It's also possible Oberwalder Wien or some other company in Austria had the license for Stetson when this hat was made but I would have to look into that.

Mayser "In 1954, Curt M. Zechbauer's son, Peter M. Zechbauer, acquires the licence of the American hat factory of Stetson for Mayser."

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/

F.W.S. (Stetson Europe 1998)

https://fwshats.de/historie/?lang=en

Can you please provide a photo of the Stetson foil stamp at the rear of the sweatband?

Thanks for your nice reply and all the background information you gave In fact this is a very nice hat in almost mint condition, not even dusted. Plus I got it for only 10 EUR which I regard as a real bargain. I also got a 60s Habig Homburg hat from the same seller. I will post photos later when I am back from holidays.

Back to the Stetson/Oberwalder hat: it does not seem to have any other paper label, only this Stetson foil stamp at the sweatband as you indicated:

DSCF7173.jpg

Thanks for your nice reply and all the background information you gave In fact this is a very nice hat in almost mint condition, not even dusted. Plus I got it for only 10 EUR which I regard as a real bargain. I also got a 60s Habig Homburg hat from the same seller. I will post photos later when I am back from holidays.

Back to the Stetson/Oberwalder hat: it does not seem to have any other paper label, only this Stetson foil stamp at the sweatband as you indicated:

View attachment 610447
Thank you for posting the photo. The reason I asked is Mayser used a similar foil stamp in probably the same time period as your Stetson (see photo). I think it's highly likely Mayser made your Stetson and Overland Wien sourced from Mayser. Looking forward to seeing your P. & C. Habig Wien Homburg.

53690261675_e159bfc35d_c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy