Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Yes but as far as I know it wasn't called a Homburg Hut in Germany or Austria (1882 - 1945). The Homburg Hat name was used in America and I also believe in England because of where the hat style came from (ie. Homburg, Germany). The only case where I found Homburg Hats mentioned in a German hat publication of the early 20th Century was a Moeckel (of Homburg) advertsiment ("Real Homburg-Hats" not "Echter Homburg-Huete) that targeted the export market.

7616247768_f250b18a42_b.jpg

Very interesting, Steve. My guess, " Real Homburg Hat " refers to the Homburg hat specially made for King Edward!
Only Moeckel produces the " Real Homburg hat. This is advertising!

Yes an advertisement but for the export market (specifically America and England) where the term (Homburg) was in use. As I mentioned I have not come across the name "Homburg Hut" in any German or Austrian hat publication (1882-1940) to describe the style. After WWII the situation changes (Anglo-American occupation / influence) and it becomes known as the "Homburg Hut" (see the Wien Hutmacher Homburg Hut advertisement).

Manfred, Yes it is only a guess but based on a bit of "Hat Nerd" research. :) I am sure there were instances pre WII but I haven't come across them. Same with the term "Fedora" which appears exclusive to America. Of course this eventually changes.

Major congrats on the P. & C. Habig Homburg! What a steal! I have a feeling it's going to be better than expected (keeping my fingers crossed).

lecky

New in Town
Here's an early Christmas present from my father (I took him to my favourite hat supplier, he got a great probably early 50s Peschel Homburg and got me this):

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4869.jpg

IMG_4870.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

IMG_4872.JPG

It's a 57 or could be a 58 with a little shrinkage in the leather, just about fine for me, I love it.

And here's a tiroler that I got in the job lot from ebay a while back, the feather's a modern one from Munich. Marked a 56 but wears as a 57/58. Sweatband reads L. Wenninger, Passau, and Grandezza, it has a lining, was glued in but currently awol. It's a cut above the run of the mill tiroler, but far from the best.

IMG_4875.jpg

Lecky, Fantastic! The first one is a Brüder Böhm Wien Velour. Does it have a paper label? If so could you please post a photo? My guess would be the 1950s. Also really like the Alpenhut. Great rooster feather combo! Would also like to see your father's A. Peschel Homburg.

lecky

New in Town
Steve, my father has already gone to his home to Somerset with his Peschel unfortunately, but I'll see if he'll photograph it, or I'll be there in January and can photograph it then. It's quite soft, takes whatever bash you put in it directly, has a high straight crown and a fairly wide flat brim without much curl (but I think not tampered with like my blue Mark Spezial department store homburg probably is).

Here's the label inside the Böhn velour:
IMG_4877.JPG

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Lecky, Fantastic! The first one is a Brüder Böhm Wien Velour. Does it have a paper label? If so could you please post a photo? My guess would be the 1950s. Also really like the Alpenhut. Great rooster feather combo! Would also like to see your father's A. Peschel Homburg.

+1

nice hats, lecky. Especially the Brüder Böhm looks fantastic!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve, very nice and rare. Great find!

The Habig arrived today!
You can see on the bow side a darker shade, not to remove. I've tried it with water, alcohol and sandpaper. The shade is a little bit brighter now but still there.
Otherwise in good condition, inside very good! From 1954 if the label don't lie.
The color is darker as the photos show it, a darker gray!

habighomburggrau7.jpg

also new for me, a Stetson Stratoliner produced under License, maybe from Wegener

stetsonstratoliner.jpg

Alan, Thanks!

Manfred, Sorry about the P. & C. Habig Wien Homburg bow but it looks fantastic in the photo! The time stamp appears correct. A super deal for 3 Euro! The Stetson Excellent looks especially fantastic! Great Black thin ribbon! I am pretty sure it was made by Mayser because they had the Stetson lincense for Germany during that time period (starting 1954). Would it be possible to post a close-up photo of the Stetson logo and license?

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve and Alan, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them!

No matter Steve. This hat is wonderful. As I said, the condition, is almost very good for the age. The shape is perfect!
The small shade on the felt plays don't matter. The brim wide is 2 15/16 . A wide brimmed Hommie.
Good to know that the Strat could be from Mayser. Never seen before a german Stratoliner!

Manfred, Sorry I thought the issue was with the bow. Regardless it looks great in the photo! Also I am pretty sure the Stetson is from the late 1950s and made by Mayser under license.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters