Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Fastuni, welcome here! Indeed, a nice find and hat.
Do you have the original sweatband, If yes, could you show us some photos of that?
Please more details, was a liner inside, paper label under the sweatband!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thank you. :)

There was no liner in the hat when bought... the label also was already "dissolved" probably by water or humidity... what was left of the label was sticking to the backside of the leather - the numbers were not readable except the size number 59.

However here are photos of the prints on the leather as it once was (after trying it on my head it unfortunately crumbled away even more):
SAM_2875.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. :)
No liner... the label was already "dissolved" probably by water or humidity.
Here are photos of the prints on the leather as it once was (after trying it on my head it unfortunately crumbled away even more):
[/IMG]

Thanks for posting the additional photos! Does it still have the paper label that would have been behind the sweatband? I am pretty sure it originally had a liner because no sign of a past tip patch. By the way J.A. Seidl had a direct connection with Mayser.

"With the participation of Anton Seidl, the owner of the J. A. Seidl hat factory in Munich, the company is transformed into a GmbH (private limited company) in 1914. The partners are Carl Mayser and Anton Seidl, who takes over sole ownership of the Mayser hat factory four years later (1918)."

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Fastuni, great. The sweatband looks indeed different to the sweatbands of the 50s ! Thanks for sharing that with us!

Steve, great pic! I hope it was successful for you, your fencing tournament

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome.

Thanks also for the background on J.A. Seidl, very interesting.

For what it is worth here is what remains on the backside of the leather:
SAM_3876.jpg

Last edited:
You're welcome.

Thanks also for the background on J.A. Seidl, very interesting.

For what it is worth here is what remains on the backside of the leather:

It appears the label stuck to the sweatband. My 1952 date stamped Mayser Superbe has the same sweatband logo. The liner on your hat was probably similar.

6070660475_a5497dcebe_b.jpg

6070695659_7f4368c81d_b.jpg

6070754309_c41698b7a5_b.jpg

6070788349_5b3b52570f_b.jpg

6071335204_98537c10c5_b.jpg

Last edited:

One Too Many
Great Souvenir ¡¡¡

Hi Steve¡¡¡ Nice souvenir, there are not, no many in whole the world someting like that, this "espejito" (pocket mirror) has a great price, Congratulation ¡¡¡:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Manfred, Thanks! They have glass mirrors on the other side. If you look above you will see a photo of the other side (see the bevelled edge of the glass).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner