Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Hat Factory C. G. Wilke, Guben advertisement from "Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)".

14283484083_abb114da53_b.jpg

"The Wilke Hat has no Dark Side, but still in the Shadow, you can see the Wilke Hat"

Last edited:
Manfred, Thanks for the help! I am going need more help! :)

Mystic, A. Breiter München is a famous hat store and maker. I have many hats (different makes / styles) from this store (they are still in business today). This is a Trachten style hat. It's a fantastic example of the style. I am not sure who made it. What does it say on the sweatband? Is there a paper label behind the sweatband? My guess would be the 1950s.

Here is an old J. Hückel´s Söhne Plume Melone sold by A. Breiter München.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hueckel%c2%b4s-soehne-hueckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page__st__80#entry614

8737088828_b5f4b392da_o.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/81-breiter/

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Mystic, A. Breiter München is a famous hat store and maker. I have many hats (different makes / styles) from this store (they are still in business today). This is a Trachten style hat. It's a fantastic example of the style. I am not sure who made it. What does it say on the sweatband? Is there a paper label behind the sweatband? My guess would be the 1950s.

Thanks Steve, I don't have the hat in hand yet. So I don't know what's under the sweat. Do you think it would be wool? Does Trachten style denote wool? Here's the sweat stamp.
Adalbertbreiter3_zpsdb126c75.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I believe it's fur felt but it's possible it's some type of fur / wool blend. The felt appears to be of good quality. It could have been made by A. Breiter or some other company. If it has a paper label that might prove helpful.

Anton Fischer, Guben advertisement from "Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)".

14091872938_059584bf65_b.jpg

"The quality brand of good specialty shops. Only quality products bring lasting success and help the retail industry. We provide guaranteed durable men's hats in wool, hair, velour in modern shapes & colors at reasonable prices. Buy German Quality Ware!"

Wilhelm Quade Machine Factory and Foundry, Guben advertisement from "Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)".

14096125760_127acec1d3_b.jpg

"Machine Factory and Foundry, We supply machines of first-class construction for Wool and Fur Felt Hat Fabrication, Please ask for our special brochure with references to domestic and abroad, Two Important New Designs, Electric Crown Ironing machine, Automatic Drum Beater machine"

F. Kallenbach Hat Factory, Luckenwalde advertisement from "Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)".

14096069309_db7cd567a7_b.jpg

"Fabrication of Fine Wool Hats for Men and Ladies, Weekly Production about 3,000 dozen"

Carl J. Lehmann, Berlin advertisement from "Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)".

14279406911_785e4fd100_b.jpg

"All Machines First Rate, Latest Special Models, Leather sewing machines for sewing onto leather and not onto leather. Leather sewing machines. Fold lining sewing machines. Flange sewing machines. Steel band sewing machines for stiff hats, Steel band for stiff hats in flat wire and round wire and in all viable dimensions of best hardened steel"

Fritz Riese, Guben advertisement from "Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)".

14259621656_708007f246_b.jpg

"Known for its Top Notch, Wood - Aluminum, Special Factory for Hat Forms, Designing, copying, mass production, for felt and straw"

Mayser Hutfabrik, Ulm Donau advertisement from "Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)".

14096091758_027b78c3e1_b.jpg

"I'm Missing A Mayser Hat"

The use of Hare felt for Long-Haired (Velour) hats, "Die Hutmacherkunst: ein Handbuch für den Klein- und Grossbetrieb By Carl Bortfeldt 1902".

14104806440_8b20366b15_b.jpg

"In the production of Long-Haired (Velour) hats the Hare backs of mature skins produce the best results. With this material the old hat maker rule "largely plied, felted small and hot fulled" is very much taken to heart. It possesses not only a big energy to felt but has long retention. Probably no other material has the same amount of toughness. Furthermore, it is the natural, atlas-like shine that makes this substance to glamorous hats irreplaceable. If treated correctly during fulling, with the brush, coloring and washing, brilliance and durability will be achieved. "

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran