Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Yamahana

Practically Family
215CA34A-82A8-4891-8902-DDCFD0584374.jpeg
422EB9A2-6400-47BE-BCD3-5FAAA7847DEB.jpeg
D4695EC4-447A-47BB-A504-773274799F17.jpeg
B33C4D96-64BE-487F-9A8F-16AC0D908F0C.jpeg
Another one I can find very little info on that maybe some here can also shed some light on. Brown/green Meisterklasse also 2 3/8 brim.
215CA34A-82A8-4891-8902-DDCFD0584374.jpeg
422EB9A2-6400-47BE-BCD3-5FAAA7847DEB.jpeg
D4695EC4-447A-47BB-A504-773274799F17.jpeg

A recent arrival to AZ, seller purchased in Switzerland in 1958. It’s a fairly nice clean black velour with 2 3/8 raw edge brim. Hopefully @mayserwegener or others can shed some light on its origins.
View attachment 260988 View attachment 260989 View attachment 260990 View attachment 260991 View attachment 260992
Super find! This one looks like 1930s. There is no company mark. It has French on the paper label so maybe French Velour but hard to know since the felt could have been sourced elsewhere. What is the shop on the sweatband? The Velour looks of high quality.

Last edited:
View attachment 260993 View attachment 260994 View attachment 260995 View attachment 260996 Another one I can find very little info on that maybe some here can also shed some light on. Brown/green Meisterklasse also 2 3/8 brim.
View attachment 260993 View attachment 260994 View attachment 260995
Super! This is from Franz Gober München. They were a famous supplier so probably made by one of the Bavarian Velour makers. Is the liner stitched in?

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/57-franz-gober-münchen-f-g-m/

Last edited:

Yamahana

Practically Family
The store has Herrenmode so German focused. Have no idea who made the Velour hat but as mentioned the paper label has French. Look forward to seeing it in action.
Thank you for the information. I’m amazed at the vast resourceful amount of knowledge you have with these German-Austrian hats. It is a very well made quality velour fedora that I look forward to wearing when it cools down a bit more here in AZ

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
The store has Herrenmode so German focused. Have no idea who made the Velour hat but as mentioned the paper label has French. Look forward to seeing it in action.

Lucerne is located in Switzerland and is the capital of the German-speaking canton of the same name.
In contrast, the western cantons (Vaud, Valais, Neuchâtel, etc.) are traditionally French in character.
The "EXTRA" can come from any language (German, French, Italian, ...), so it does not give any indication.
The surrounding "GRAN LUSSO" is Italian, which is also spoken in a small southern part of Switzerland.

But maybe this was just a "marketing strategy" - a comparison with the high quality Borsalinos etc.!?
Or we do have a hat in front of us, which is made in the "French-German-Italien mixed" Switzerland?
Or maybe it is really a hat from France that got its finish in Switzerland - sold in German speaking Luzern?
Does the size sign tell us anything? YES: international! :D
59 - German
6 - Italian/French
7 1/4 - British

Lucerne is located in Switzerland and is the capital of the German-speaking canton of the same name.
In contrast, the western cantons (Vaud, Valais, Neuchâtel, etc.) are traditionally French in character.
The "EXTRA" can come from any language (German, French, Italian, ...), so it does not give any indication.
The surrounding "GRAN LUSSO" is Italian, which is also spoken in a small southern part of Switzerland.

But maybe this was just a "marketing strategy" - a comparison with the high quality Borsalinos etc.!?
Or we do have a hat in front of us, which is made in the "French-German-Italien mixed" Switzerland?
Or maybe it is really a hat from France that got its finish in Switzerland - sold in German speaking Luzern?
Does the size sign tell us anything? YES: international! :D
59 - German
6 - Italian/French
7 1/4 - British
Matt, Yes it's a bunch of things. :) Also the use of CM instead of French Point for size on the paper label. I would say Luzern/Lucerne proper has some French mix but probably irrelevant in this case. I do have some lists of Swiss Hat Companies but with no company mark probably looking at another unsolved mystery.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
You're absolutely right, Steve: a wild mix!
What is your thought about the "GRAN LUSSO"?
The CM on the paper label also surprised me,
because the other indications are or can be French:
Or.(dre?), For.(me), Qual.(ité), Coul.(eur), Entrée
Even the handwritten things fit: velour, noir
Just not the size... As you say: probably another unsolved mystery...

Nevertheless: a very beautiful and quality hat that I would like to have! ;)

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
I'm sorry, but there is really too little writing to judge much.
In my opinion, the numbers do not say anything.

What I can say:
It is not the Sütterlin typeface that was common in Germany in the 20s and especially 30s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sütterlin
That means not that much: In this time especially older people used the older typeface.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurrent
But it is not even that, but already a more modern form of writing.

I really don't know much about this, but I do think
that a simple Latin script was in use in France.
As for Italy or Switzerland - I have no idea...

Well - that does not really help...
My feeling tells me that it was not written by a German.
I think France would fit better - only the 59 cm are really disturbing.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
PS: Unfortunately the piece of paper is missing at "Qual",
but would the complete handwritten "Velour" tell us more!?
Also the stain at "Coul." bothers me so much,
that I originally read "Weiss" (white) - old "r" looks like modern "s".
But since that does not fit at all I think it is "Noir". :D

Maybe it is possible to take an even better photo without destroying the seam?

Yamahana

Practically Family

I’ll try but it’s an unreeded sweat and some stitching already undone plus a tear started. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks for the helpful info you’ve provided. It is a very nice quality velour and evidently a little unique.

Yamahana

Practically Family
7E7E81F8-23CF-441A-AD2C-CF75ECFAC26F.jpg
044C8770-847E-4481-B0B5-CC4AE14FF39D.jpeg

I looked at it with magnifying glass, couldn’t make anything but then again I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Here it is again with a flash and enlarged.

While I was shopping I found this one as well. I have a ton of hats in this colour scheme, so I don't need another, but...
Kohlndorfer homburg in grey. Size 56 with the brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Liner is sewn in and the label is mostly handwritten, but there's a plastic covering of the crown patch. So probably mid to late fifties for this one. The felt is great and has lovely hand, which is part of the reason why I bought it anyway.
Kohlndorfer Velour Hutfabrik Miesbach / Oberbayren was the factory that made it. Steve @mayserwegener's site has some information on the company, but not a whole not is known about them.
Appears to be all original.

kohlndorfer_01-jpg.262413
kohlndorfer_02-jpg.262414
kohlndorfer_03-jpg.262415
kohlndorfer_04-jpg.262416
kohlndorfer_05-jpg.262417
kohlndorfer_06-jpg.262418
kohlndorfer_07-jpg.262419
kohlndorfer_08-jpg.262420
kohlndorfer_09-jpg.262421
kohlndorfer_10-jpg.262422

Forum statistics