Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

BGH - ?
(Berlin-Gubener-Hutfabrik?)

No paper labels or else...
View attachment 581554
The book i got again... So i have one to give away if someone interested.

View attachment 581555 View attachment 581556 View attachment 581557 View attachment 581558 View attachment 581559 View attachment 581560
Martin, Great find! There are no old BGH Soft Felts to compare it to, only Stiff Felts. Is it wool? It definitely doesn't have a higher quality sweatband and liner.

The BGH Stiff Felts are here.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/15-berlin-gubener-hutfabrik/

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I have accumulated a fair number of furs hats ready to be showed in the Lounge
EDNA 6.jpg
Brand: EDKA - Le Chapelier with various shops in Paris
EDNA Interno.jpg
Manufacturer: Fraenkel - Wien
EDNA Fraenkel Wien.jpg
Felt type or finish: not indicated. The felt has a medium fur, soft and pliable
EDNA Etichetta carta.jpg
Size 6 or 59 cm in Europe or 7 3/8 in the US. The size is true to the tag
EDNA D.jpg

State of preservation: fantastic felt, excellent sweatband and the lining is present and well preserved
Age of the hat: it was probably made between the 1930s and 1940s, but, as for the Huckels, Steve (mayserwegener) will be able to date it much more precisely, given his enormous experience and his unique collection of Central European felts.
EDNA A.jpg
Considerations: the hat is a magnificent example of Fraenkel manufacturing in Austria during the last century.
The felt has a black-steel color and is beautifully preserved. The ribbon is good and it deserves a steam to be more flat.
EDNA B.jpg
The measurements of the EDKA - Fraenkel are: the raw finished brims measure 6 cm, the ribbon matching the color of the felt is 5 cm high and the open crown is 15 cm

I made a post on my website with all the hats with this paper label type. There are 5 Wool Soft Felts and 3 Wool Stiff Felts.

1. Wilkau, Germania Pat
2. Bellona
3. EMS, Gloria
4. Striegau, Dogma
5. R. Hecht Leipzig, Only the Left Corner of the Label Present (Wool Stiff Felt)
6. Carl Zeumer Magazin Zum PFAU, RL, Ultima (Wool Stiff Felt)
7. Henrich, Jeddo
8. Magazin Zum PFAU Leipzig, Record (Wool Stiff Felt)

8583828954_949af0923a_b.jpg

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...-no-company-mark-and-same-paper-label-type-1/

I have accumulated a fair number of furs hats ready to be showed in the Lounge
EDNA 6.jpg
Brand: EDKA - Le Chapelier with various shops in Paris
EDNA Interno.jpg
Manufacturer: Fraenkel - Wien
EDNA Fraenkel Wien.jpg
Felt type or finish: not indicated. The felt has a medium fur, soft and pliable
EDNA Etichetta carta.jpg
Size 6 or 59 cm in Europe or 7 3/8 in the US. The size is true to the tag
EDNA D.jpg

State of preservation: fantastic felt, excellent sweatband and the lining is present and well preserved
Age of the hat: it was probably made between the 1930s and 1940s, but, as for the Huckels, Steve (mayserwegener) will be able to date it much more precisely, given his enormous experience and his unique collection of Central European felts.
EDNA A.jpg
Considerations: the hat is a magnificent example of Fraenkel manufacturing in Austria during the last century.
The felt has a black-steel color and is beautifully preserved. The ribbon is good and it deserves a steam to be more flat.
EDNA B.jpg
The measurements of the EDKA - Fraenkel are: the raw finished brims measure 6 cm, the ribbon matching the color of the felt is 5 cm high and the open crown is 15 cm
Daniele, Wow! It's super fantastic! The dating is probably correct, although there aren't many old S.J. Fraenkel Wien's to compare it to, so a rare find. The Velour color and finish (JHS Seal Velour like) are really beautiful. How would you describe the color?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, Wow! It's super fantastic! The dating is probably correct, although there aren't many old S.J. Fraenkel Wien's to compare it to, so a rare find. The Velour color and finish (JHS Seal Velour like) are really beautiful. How would you describe the color?
Thanks Steve.
The felt has a black-steel color and is beautifully preserved

I got these loose with loose papers from a book i compared with steve... It is the : https://germanaustrianhats.invision...division-berthold-lissner-guben/#comment-1445

View attachment 583786
Martin, Thank you for posting the photos here. I don't where the pages with the translations came from but hopefully we will find the source. I am working on another GBH book ""25 Berlin - Gubener Hutfabrik , Actiengesellschaft vorm. A. Cohn, Guben", 1913" I have a digital copy (photographed) of but I never got around to posting it on my website. The book is 66 pages so it's going take some time.

"25 Berlin - Gubener Hutfabrik (Hat Factory), Actiengesellschaft (Public or Private Company) vorm. A. Cohn, Guben", 1913 from the Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Bad Homburg, Germany hat collection. Unfortunately 6 pages are missing. Berlin - Gubener Hutfabrik was probably the largest company in the World up to WWII. Click on the photos to expand.

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...ubener-hutfabrik/?do=findComment&comment=3445

24590306062_ab23a3ef7a_k.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner